Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Single forever?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I take quite a relaxed approach to finding a man and never go out ‘looking’. This is because I am secure enough not to need a man, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like one. I also believe I will meet someone when the time is right. The problem is, I’m now 25 and have never been in a long term/serious relationship. As most of my friends are now settled down in their own relationships, they don’t like to go out as much, which is a problem, as I still do. This also means I don’t get to meet men as much in that way anymore, and I’m starting to feel as though I’ll be single forever!

I’ve had plenty of flings, but I’m tired of that now and would really like to have a boyfriend for a change. I’m confident and outgoing, and don’t find it hard to chat to men, so that isn’t an issue. I think my independence can put them off slightly, but that’s not something that will change, as I have always been an independent person, and am proud to say so. I would love to meet a man who is equally as independent.

Anyway, as yet another ‘single’ Christmas approaches, I will, as usual, keep my spirits up and wonder if when the next one comes, things will be different. Any ideas??

I think the obvious may be joining certain groups, etc. But I am looking for more original advice! :)

Thanks guys x

Comments

• Options
    Im a bit reluctant to do this as i dont want to seem desperate (not saying that you are) but maybe ask a few friends if they have anyone you could meet. If a relationship doesnt come out of it at least you made a new friend :)
  • Options
    How about where you work? To be honest from the sound of it, you shouldnt worry about it. From how you sound, you'll find someone eventually :)

But i get the whole point of not going out as much being a problem. For me if i've had any luck its been from meeting people on nights out or from wherever i worked. Other then that i wouldnt really know!
  • Options
    Hey Lexi, yeah I guess coming across desperate has probably stopped me from doing that...as I'm not at all. But I don't want to rule anything out so could be an idea.

GoodFella...work is pretty much aaaalways how I meet guys. And I've actually met some decent ones that way. It's good because you can get to know if you actually like them first, which is a bonus as I'm so fed up of dating.

I usually go for confident men, which I think is a problem because they are usually the 'fling' kinda guys!
  • Options
    i think i hear where your coming from, its not good, im in a similar position, not helped by the fact i end up going away 4 work at a moments notice. I've even contemplated giving up (see thread) and want 2 meet that someome, the pressure is huge and i want 2 meet mrs delboy asap
  • Options
    I think you've hit the nail on the head with..
    I also believe I will meet someone when the time is right.

It took me until I was 35 to meet my soulmate and up to that point I had never been in a fulfilling relationship. The reason I agree with you is some will say "you won't find love if you're keep looking for it", implying that true love will only come if you stop looking for it. That is complete bollocks. I've never stopped looking for 'the one'. I've never come across as desperate but I was always ready to settle down if the right one came along and finally she did.

The real thing will come when it, not you or anyone else, is ready. I don't do 'destiny' and all that crap but you will meet 'him' when the time is right. Bear in mind you might get hurt along the way, and you might end up doing the hurting yourself. But he will come.
  • Options
    Delboy I've just been reading your post about giving up....you can't give up at 25! You've hardly just begun. You need to relax. I understand it can get a bit boring at times not having someone, but letting it get to you so much is not good. Like they say, if you're unhappy with your life, who's gonna want to share it with you?

Glenn, I totally agree. Guess I'm just fed up of waiting and of meeting idiots :banghead: I haven't dated for a while now, I wanted a bit of a break lol.
  • Options
    The reason I agree with you is some will say "you won't find love if you're keep looking for it", implying that true love will only come if you stop looking for it. That is complete bollocks. I've never stopped looking for 'the one'. I've never come across as desperate but I was always ready to settle down if the right one came along and finally she did.

The real thing will come when it, not you or anyone else, is ready. I don't do 'destiny' and all that crap but you will meet 'him' when the time is right. Bear in mind you might get hurt along the way, and you might end up doing the hurting yourself. But he will come.

I totally agree with this. I'm in a similar position, but I've already had long relationships. Nowadays I think they weren't fullfilling anyway. So I'll keep on looking to my partner whenever and wherever I can. Don't give up and keep looking.
    :yeees: :yeees: :yeees:
  • Options
    I'm not far behind you Glen. 32 and counting, despite the fact that I was clubbing most weeks throughout my entire 20s.
  • Options
    I have this feeling and im only 20 :( Hope i dont have to have it until my 30s
  • Options
    Plennnnty of tiiiiime :)
  • Options
    Nicole25 wrote: »
    Delboy I've just been reading your post about giving up....you can't give up at 25! You've hardly just begun. You need to relax. I understand it can get a bit boring at times not having someone, but letting it get to you so much is not good. Like they say, if you're unhappy with your life, who's gonna want to share it with you?

Glenn, I totally agree. Guess I'm just fed up of waiting and of meeting idiots :banghead: I haven't dated for a while now, I wanted a bit of a break lol.

I'm not unhappy with my life - more i guess i've reached that point where i would like to share it with someone, i just gets me down when im out with mates or watching a film at a mates place and they cuddle up with other halfs that kind of thing, it has it's benifits being single sometimes, but like you i guess im getting impatient
  • Options
    I'm 26 and have been single for four years. Really doesn't bother me in the slightest. Give it a few years, and they'll be after my money :D
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I have this feeling and im only 20 :( Hope i dont have to have it until my 30s

Ditto. The rate of my fellow peers getting engaged/having babies/settling down is scaring me. And it's only going to get worse!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Ditto. The rate of my fellow peers getting engaged/having babies/settling down is scaring me. And it's only going to get worse!

It's scaring me too. A Facebook friend (someone from school) is about 7 months older than me and has been married for about a year.
  • Options
    I was on Friends Reunited the other day checking out old school mates, and I see people 5 years younger than me who are already married / kids etc.
  • Options
    To all the above stop looking around at your old friends and thinking " my god their younger than me and settled "
    Because they are probably looking at u and envying your independent life lol.
    Life is soooo short go out and enjoy everyday it will happen when it happens, in your 20's u should be having fun times and if it has not happened yet in your 30's your looking in the wrong places!!!
    Plenty of time in your late 20's early 30's to be skint changing shitty nappy and dealing with crying babies and cooking meals and washing and cleaning lol hahahahahah its not all its cracked up 2 b . But when it happens at the right time the changing nappys and all the above will i mentioned will be brilliant :d x
  • Options
    It's a bit of a cliche perhaps but volunteering really is an excellent way to meet people (from personal experience I met two of my past boyfriends through volunteering and found it a good way to meet friends when I moved to new cities too :) ).

It's great because you are often doing something with a group of people who have chosen to do something similar to you and therefore you are starting off on a similar page anyway. You have things to talk about and engage with them as you are both working on something together - and there is no pressure in the same way there is about joining a dating site or anything - as the main reason for being together is the work in hand and not just 'meeting people'.

The Do-it site has a huge range of types of volunteering and opportunities which you can explore and try out.
  • Options
    I've volunteered before through Do-It. Did a few weeks at Age Concern (now called Age UK).
  • Options
    I'm definitely not in any rush to get married - afterall, that part of a relationship is just a piece of paper I guess. I'm not one to conform, so the fact that all my friends are getting married, etc, doesn't bother me - I'm really happy for them. But as I've said, I just want someone for myself now, instead of always doing things on my own. This is speaking as a 25 year old who's never had a serious relationship - I think I've been patient enough!

Although recently...I have met someone really nice :) We've been out a couple of times now, so watch this space! ;)
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    To all the above stop looking around at your old friends and thinking " my god their younger than me and settled "
    Because they are probably looking at u and envying your independent life lol.
    Life is soooo short go out and enjoy everyday it will happen when it happens, in your 20's u should be having fun times and if it has not happened yet in your 30's your looking in the wrong places!!!
    Plenty of time in your late 20's early 30's to be skint changing shitty nappy and dealing with crying babies and cooking meals and washing and cleaning lol hahahahahah its not all its cracked up 2 b . But when it happens at the right time the changing nappys and all the above will i mentioned will be brilliant :d x

Couldn't agree more!! :thumb: