Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

an idiots guide to networking.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, just in case it isnt clear, i know nothing of any kind of networking.

So.....
Im at uni, i have my desktop hooked into the LAN.....easy peasy.
But i've just got my hands on a laptop.....and i can not be arsed to be crawling around behind my PC tower to swap the cable between the machines.
How do i connect both of them at the same time?
Just to clarify, I wont be using them both at the same time, i just quite like the idea of being able to stay in bed and satisfy my internet addiction. hehe.
So what do i need? How is it done ?

Comments

• Options
    Buy a router preferrably a wireless router (these will usually have built in switch so you can connect your desktop via wired ethernet connection). Make sure you plug your Uni connection into the WAN port on the router. Voila
  • Options
    ....a little simpler.....? Anyone?
  • Options
    A simpler way.

Buy a "hub" and 2 cables.

the hub will act like a splitter, allowing you 2 cables.
  • Options
    I dont think the "hub" idea will work.....
    Tried plugging the cable into the laptop. WHen i set my desktop up on the LAN, I had to give them the ethernet/physical address (whatever that is) of it. And obviously the laptop has a different one.
    So....would gettin a router be the best idea? Prices? Places? General info about what to look for in a router?
    As i said, networks just aint my area. The mechanics of them escape me entirely.
  • Options
    I dont think the "hub" idea will work.....
    Tried plugging the cable into the laptop. WHen i set my desktop up on the LAN, I had to give them the ethernet/physical address (whatever that is) of it. And obviously the laptop has a different one.
    So....would gettin a router be the best idea? Prices? Places? General info about what to look for in a router?
    As i said, networks just aint my area. The mechanics of them escape me entirely.

If you simply want to use your laptop. You can clone the MAC address of your desktop (aka physical/ethernet address). This is done by entering the MAC address of your desktop in the hardware properties for the ethernet adaptor of your laptop.

You are correct, using hub or switch will not work in this circumstance. They limit the devices which can connected to their network at the physical level. Basically, it stops someone just plugging lots/random equipment into their network.

You can buy a router for very little mate. However you must find one that support MAC cloning so that the router can "pretend" to be your desktop machine. Most routers have this function! Something like the following inexpensive router...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97602
  • Options
    be careful your laptop doesnt catch fire if you're in bed. altho they're called laptops they should be put on hard surfaces