Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cartilage piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I pierced my cartilage last week, and it's been fine. But I've just taken the back off to clean it, and it's all swollen. But, only at the back. It's really red as well, and hot. And, I kind of don't know what to do? It's been fine, and I haven't done anything different today to what I normally do. I just googled it, but that wasn't much use, pretty much all the advice is "go back to your piercer"

So, ideas? Please? x

Comments

• Options
    I pierced my ear myself at the top a while back and I have a little lump at the back still, not painful, think it's just cartilage. So I guess that could be normal? Did you get it pierced somewhere or did it yourself?
    If it's hot that could be a sign of an infection (have you been using salt water and is it all pus filled?) or it could be just natural healing- as increased blood flow to the area could warm it up and make it red.

Does this help?
  • Options
    I got mine done along time ago and the same thing happened. I had a lump at the back, it got red and sore but, it did stop hurting for a bit then after a while it would go red and sore again, so I eventually took it out.
  • Options
    I did it myself yeah :/ and I clean it twice a day with cleaning fluid, and I do use salt water sometimes.. It's gone really itchy now as well, but there is no pus xx
  • Options
    I have this on my normal ear lobe piercings on both sides. Its never caused me any problems so i just leave it

Edit: mine isnt red or hurts or anything though so i would say keep cleaning it for another week or so and if it doesnt get better go back to the piercer
  • Options
    I had this issue with one of these piercings. It would be hot and itchy and hard for no reason. I just made sure I did not touch it at all and used warm salt water to clean it once a day.

If it was really hurting me then I would gently clean it again and that would help with the burning senasation! It would make it itch more but... I just kept on with it and months later it is ALOT better, but if I sleep on it the cartilage goes hard though :/ I think it should be alright in time though c:
  • Options
    Thanks :) I do try not to sleep on it, but I always roll over :/ x
  • Options
    I must have a terrible immune system because my piercings always end up gross, but after several piercers I finally learned the best way of taking care of them. Not too long ago my conch piercing which was about 9 months at the time got hit, became really inflamed, red, painful and started bleeding and then a little bit of leakage. I just kept on with the regular cleaning process and it was like nothing had happened within a week.

First, do not touch them, rotate them, take the back off them... anything at all. The less contact you have the better. The jewelry should be big enough to allow for the piercing to swell. Though that part is probably too late now :p

Most "cleaning solutions" are shit and will do more harm than good as they contain alcohol which will only dry the piercing and hinder in its healing.

For the first half of the healing process (cartlidge is about 3-12 months, depending on where it was) clean twice a day with a non iodized sea salt soak. Fill a mug of filtered water and heat it to as hot as you can stand, add a couple pinches of the sea salt. Soak a clean paper towel in it and completly cover the piercing. Keep it there for 5 minutes.

Also, I dont know if you have the brand there but Provone soap is what I've heard reccomended by nearly everybody. http://www.fluxpiercing.co.uk/shop/product_details/provon_medicated_soap.htm Clean with that twice a day for the first half of the healing process. I shower twice a day so I just do it then because it is really easy. With a brand new q-tip for each ear and each side, just clean the front and back.

For the second half, do that once a day.

Do not over clean, do not use alcohol, do not use the average antibacterial soap as these will only hurt the piercing. Your body will do quite a good job taking care of this puncture by itself.

Also, put a clean t-shirt over your pillow every night. This keeps any type of oils, dirt or whatever that may be hiding out on your pillow case from touching the new piercing. You can get about 4 nights out of 1 shirt... one night on each side, then turn it inside out. It keeps what your laying on very clean without having to do laundry every day.
  • Options
    Yeah, we do have that brand.. because the link you sent is to a piercing shop that is in my town haha! I'll get some of the soap next time I go into town, and I think we already have sea salt at home.
    Thank you for the advice :) x
  • Options
    MyName- the T-shirt thing is a really good idea, thanks!!! (i often get spots on my cheeks so this will really help)
    I agree with the above advice, the itching is a good sign of healing, i've just had my naval done and its a bit red and crusty with a red spot on the side but i'm not worrying too much cuz it's only been 5 weeks.
  • Options
    I've started using salt water instead of the cleaning fluid. It still hurts though, but only when I'm cleaning it.
    I asked a friend of mine who's training to be a piercer, and she said that it can hurt for another few months! Which I'm not too happy about.. but I'm sure it'll be okay in the end :) (well, hopefully!) x
  • Options
    yeh, my piercer told me my naval would take from 3-6 months to heal (i guess cuz of the movement), maaaaan! but it's worth it :)
  • Options
    Thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread...
    Basically, I'm a bit worried! I've been cleaning it every day with salt water, but the back is still really swollen.
    I can't see it, but I can feel it, and I asked my boyfriend to have a look.. and he said it's like a lump, that's really red.
    It hurts as well. Should I just keep cleaning it like I am? Or should I clean more? x
  • Options
    from what i've seen on BME its probs Hypertrophic scarring - like this? http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Hypertrophic_Scarring

I have that on the side of my piercing and it does get red/sore/hot but im just cleaning it regularly and otherwise leaving it alone. I reckon it'll heal in it's own time :)
  • Options
    Thanks SkaKitty :)
    I showed it to a friend of mine who's a trainee piercer, and she told me to put tea tree oil on it, put it read on the internet you have to dilute tea tree before you put it on your skin? Is that true, or can I just put it on my skin? x
  • Options
    TBH i would dilute it just to make sure it's not too strong on your skin, espesh near a new piercing. I've used it undiluted before on bad acne spots, but only so i can dry they out quickly lol