Home Work & Volunteering

Signing onto JSA (special circumstances) while going on holiday?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, this is my first time posting here.

I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information they could share with me. So my situation is, i recently lost me full time job, i decided to sign back onto JSA (special circumstances, since im under 18(17): my special circumstances being 'low income') so i have to go through another 'interview' to check my eligibility to recieve this benefit. My first scheduled interview was the end of May(sorry i don't remember the exact date), however shortly after arriving they asked when i was last paid, i told them the 25th of that month, I was told that i was not able to recieve a payment for another month after this date. After speaking with some financial advisor (friend) they seemed not able to help me, so i accepted this, my interview was re-scheduled to the 25th of April. Close to this date i see that my old employee had put another 90£ into my account (this is the rest of what I earned in May) but their payment system meant that i only jsut recieved it. So i immediatly phoned the job centre to tell them (i was guessing my interview would be re-scheduled again) and sure enough it was, but only 2 weeks after this date, since it was a low amount that had gone into my account this time.

So now im due to have my new interview on the 7th June (nothing booked, around this time they told me i can make my new claim) so fair enough, i need to wait untill this later date is due. However to make things even more complex, me, and my family have recently booked a 25 day trip to the USA, due to leave on the 14th June.

So what should i do ?
do i just go to my interview on the 14th and tell them that im going on holiday ( I guess my claim will be delayed again) untill after my holiday?
I'm basically just looking for advice, and to complecate things more, i will be turning 18 on July 4th (During the holiday).

I would also like to know what i should do with my money, since i recently recieved alot of money (for my 18th Birthday since i will be on holiday for the actual date) I don't want to put this into my account, since the job centre will deny my claim again. What/how should i go about this?

(Sorry if i haven't explained this very well)

Any advice is appreciated

-Lixah

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No offence meant but if the family have the money to pay for a 25 day trip to the USA, then JSA is nothing im comparison.

    Id personally go on the holiday if the family will support you.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why should i question it, if my family is willing to pay for me to go on holiday? I will now however expect my family to support me indeffinatly, and unquestionably.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lixah wrote: »
    I would also like to know what i should do with my money, since i recently recieved alot of money (for my 18th Birthday since i will be on holiday for the actual date) I don't want to put this into my account, since the job centre will deny my claim again. What/how should i go about this?

    adding to what G has said, there is no need to "declare" money you receive as a gift to the Job Centre. They are only interested in what you earn through working. Relax and enjoy your holiday.
    lixah wrote: »
    ... Close to this date i see that my old employee had put another 90£ into my account (this is the rest of what I earned in May) but their payment system meant that i only jsut recieved it.

    On a grammar note, when dealing with matters of employment, remember that the company or person employing you is the employer. You, as the worker, are the employee.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lixah wrote: »
    Why should i question it, if my family is willing to pay for me to go on holiday? I will now however expect my family to support me indeffinatly, and unquestionably.

    Im sorry, but you are willing to go on holiday (an expensive one at that) instead of being there to claim your JSA? Its one or the other.

    Either go on the holiday or claim the JSA, thats what it comes down to. I dont however think the family would have that much of a problem supporting you for missing 25 days of JSA.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So i'm ok to put any amount of money into my account (so that i can use it in the USA) and when i go to my interview with my mini statement, they wont object to my JSA claim.. (I belive this is where my special circumstances applys) since its different to 'normal' JSA.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G wrote: »
    Im sorry, but you are willing to go on holiday (an expensive one at that) instead of being there to claim your JSA? Its one or the other.

    Either go on the holiday or claim the JSA, thats what it comes down to. I dont however think the family would have that much of a problem supporting you for missing 25 days of JSA.

    I think you mis understand me. i think i am able to make the claim date, however i was questiong weather i am eligible to claim if i was on holiday.

    Plus, i didn't release that my familys wealth was directly linked to my eligibility to recieve JSA.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lixah wrote: »
    Plus, i didn't release that my familys wealth was directly linked to my eligibility to recieve JSA.

    I don't think that was what G meant. The way I read it was that if your family are taking you on holiday ... and you have received some money as an 18th birthday present ... it shouldn't matter one way or the other if you don't receive the JSA, i.e. your family can support you for the period of the holiday. My own view would be that you cannot legitimately claim the JSA if you are not available for work, but what do I know?

    Edit: I didn't realise you had to show bank statement to claim JSA, but if you don't want to have to explain your birthday money, why not start another account? My husband and I have several accounts for different purposes between us. I stand by my original post that the Job Centre has no interest in money you have received as gifts. The problem might be proving its origin.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think that was what G meant. The way I read it was that if your family are taking you on holiday ... and you have received some money as an 18th birthday present ... it shouldn't matter one way or the other if you don't receive the JSA, i.e. your family can support you for the period of the holiday. My own view would be that you cannot legitimately claim the JSA if you are not available for work, but what do I know?

    I appreciate you're advice on this matter. However i was hopeing for alittle more certainty on weather i can, or can not claim. I do not wish to sound ungreatful, am i am thankful that you are helping me with this matter.:)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lixah wrote: »
    I appreciate you're your advice on this matter. However i was hoping for a little more certainty on whether i can, or cannot claim. I do not wish to sound ungrateful. I am thankful that you are helping me with this matter.:)

    If you aren't actively seeking work, you can't legitimately claim JSA.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Edit: I didn't realise you had to show bank statement to claim JSA, but if you don't want to have to explain your birthday money, why not start another account? My husband and I have several accounts for different purposes between us. I stand by my original post that the Job Centre has no interest in money you have received as gifts. The problem might be proving its origin.

    Yeah, but i belive my case is alittle more complecated, since the Job Centre like to drum it into me how 'different' i am, claming under the age of 18, and they frequesntly like to point out that there any many difference between regular JSA, and claiming JSA under 'special Circumstances'.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lixah wrote: »
    Yeah, but i belive my case is alittle more complecated, since the Job Centre like to drum it into me how 'different' i am, claming under the age of 18, and they frequesntly like to point out that there any many difference between regular JSA, and claiming JSA under 'special Circumstances'.

    Either you are seeking a job, or you are not - regardless of your age. Don't expect to swan off on a month's holiday in the US at the taxpayers' expense.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Either you are seeking a job, or you are not - regardless of your age. Don't expect to swan off on a month's holiday in the US at the taxpayers' expense.

    Thank you for the helpful responces. i'm not sure what you are implaying by this, however.

    Is it not possible to go on a 2 week holiday while claiming JSA, legit?

    I've read is a number of other forums, that it is allowed, if you agree to seek emplyment.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you should use the ask thesite service rather than asking on here. Most people only have a cursory knowledge of the actual rules of benefits as they can be complicated. And, like you say, your case is different from most.

    You are more likely to get a useful answer here http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My cursory research suggests that taking a holiday overseas would mean that you are not considered to be seeking work (which is true, to be fair) and so would not be eligible to claim your JSA for that time. (And rightly so, IMO.)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok, thanks for the help guys
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There might be a good reason for applying before you go, for instance instead of cancelling your claim they may just put it on hold while you are away or something, saving time and paperwork.
  • +Chimpy++Chimpy+ ********* Deactivated Posts: 37
    Hello there,

    Firstly, welcome to TheSite discussion boards, Lixah.

    Whilst filming an interview with a Jobcentre advisor for our work & study website, Lifetracks, our interviewer asked this very question: 'why can't I go on holiday while on JSA?.

    The advisor's response was as follows:

    "It depends on where you go on holiday ... A condition of entitlement [to JSA] or one of the rules of how you could receive JSA is that you need to be in the UK. So if you were to go abroad your claim to benefit would stop as soon as you left the country.

    You can go on holiday in this country and still receive JSA, you just need to fulfil the conditions of entitlement whilst you are in this country, which would mean you have to be actively seeking and available for employment - ultimately you would need to make yourself available for a job interview if one was to come along."


    You can watch the full interview here: http://www.lifetracks.com/working/job-hunting/finding-employment-with-jobcentreplus The part about going on holiday is at 08:30.

    There is also the DirectGov website which has all the info you need about JSA, and if you feel you've not been treated fairly you can appeal against a decision.

    Hope this helps. As already mentioned, if you do need more advice then you can post here or use our askTheSite service.


    All the best,

    Chris C.
    TheSite.org/Lifetracks Multimedia Editor
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You are entitled to two fourteen day periods of holiday per year within the United Kingdom whilst you are claiming JSA.

    You cannot go abroad, even to Calais for just a day and be claiming JSA. Your claim is shut down.

    You have to sign on every two weeks anyway. If you miss a signing, you have five working days to do an appeal as to why you missed it. On a 25 day holiday, you would miss this 5 day grace.
Sign In or Register to comment.