Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing Weight - Noticeable changes! (some sicky bits!!!!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone,

So I've known for a while that I've been overweight or larger than I should. anyway I've decided enough is enough and started to eat better, nicer walk/do bit more exercise than I use to do (hard to find the time)

Anyway here is what I have noticed so far and just want to confirm a few things. I've been "dieting" or eating better for around five days and I believe I've done well, no junk or anything and eating better meals.

One thing I've noticed is about my Poo/faeces, I am going a bit more than I use to go, which I put down to a higher fibre diet than before, but it is also a lot lot lot ligher, where as before it was a dark solid, now it seems more ligher and softer.. Horrible I know but obviously I can concentrating on all changes now to make sure I am not doing this wrong and going to end up ill.

I assume this is just a normal change to my diet? less junk, less "fizzy" and more healthier stuff.

to put it simply, I've not changed my main meals but before I ate a lot of crap and larger portions, to lay it out here is a typical example.

Breakfast
Before 2/4 slices of toast with full on butter, peanut butter, bag of crisps, glass of coke/fizzy if still hungry some cereal

OR somtimes if at work a full cooked

Eggs/Bacon/Sausage, Tattie Scone etc (you get my jist)

now 2 slices of toast with low fat flora with maybe peanut butter on one OR cereal (not both) glass of either semi skimmed milk or fresh juice

Lunch (and snacks)
before
sarnie, Tuna Mayo Sarnie x2 or something of that nature, full fat butter, snacks can be from 3-6 bags of crisp or a bag of sweets etc, more fizzy drinks

now
Sarnie, if tuna no mayo, low fat spread, smaller filling and only one, bit of fruit maybe, apple and some grapes! low/no added suger dilutable juice or fresh juice, no snacks during the day just three meals

Dinner

before
quick things, chips, roasties, red meat a lot, etc etc chicken and fish often but with crap or cooked badly.

Now
Pasta/Baked potato, maybe sometimes only a sweet chilli chicken sarnie or wrap, if I have chips they're cooked in egg whites to make it a bit healthier, fresh fish, mackerel/salmon etc chicken, no more red meat, or rarely maybe spag bol one day a week.

The main change with dinner is smaller portions, I use to have enough to feed two people, now I slim the portions down

This is what I've cut down on, I think I've cut a lot of crap out, with changes to portion size and cutting big things like no crisps/cake/desert for dinner, One bad thing I do have still is a bottle of lucosade sport, maybe two bottles over every three days, this is mainly because I might forget to take liquid to work and this is readability available (I hate water) but I'll rectify this with a bottle of dilutable in my bag.

I've also noticed I am tired more, I use to be up at 6am work all day, bed at 12/2am then have a catch up sleep on my day off, however I wear out quicker now, I assume this is due to a change of cals in my diet, less energy etc etc.

I feel what I am eating is good, not too much but not under a recommended daily so I am doing this healthily, I could probably change more, but one step at a time. I feel quite lucky, I do not seem to feel hungry through out the day, as long as I keep my liquid intake high I do not notice/miss it a lot.

I know it is early days, but it is a start! advice or info on what I have posted about (mainly stool and tiredness) would be appreciated. also advice on my before/after diet would be appreciated. ie anything else I should change ASAP?

Comments

• Options
    Stool sounds normal to me. That's how it's supposed to be. The tiredness is probably your body getting used to what looks like a really drastic calorie reduction.

By the way, wrt mayonnaise, the extra extra light hellman's tastes just as good as the normal one, but obviously with a whole bunch less fat. Maybe use it as a spread instead of butter sometimes. I don't think I could live without mayo :yum:
  • Options
    You don't seem to be eating much fruit and veg. The five a day recommendation in the UK is one of the lowest, and you should really hit it every day, if not more. Go for a mix of colours on the plate and make sure you have one dark green thing a day.

I think you will start to feel like you have much more energy onc eyour body adjusts.
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi Hellfire,

Firstly, well done for making all these positive changes to your diet! Like you said, it’s good to take it slow when making changes to your diet and these changes will eventually pay off.

I would agree with Franki about your bowel movements. A healthy bowel normally moves about 1-3 times a day, and as you said because you are now eating more fibre you are more likely to be having regular bowel movements.

I would also agree with katralla, in that it would be a good idea if you can increase your levels of fruit and vege. They are packed with vitamins and if possible should be eaten with each meal.

For more healthy eating tips you might find this article quite useful.

Just a few other things I thought I would mention. You say you are not eating snacks, which is good if you are not eating unhealthy snacks like crisps, chocolates and biscuits. But it’s actually not a bad idea to have a healthy snack either side of lunch. Something like a piece of fruit with a few nuts or a handful of seeds, or a low-fat yoghurt could be good. Having a healthy snack will maintain your blood sugar levels and stop you craving unhealthy foods and prevent you from getting too hungry in between meals.

Also, if you can try and drink 2 Litres of water a day this will really help with your energy levels. If you don’t like the taste you could add a piece of lemon or lime for flavour. Diluted drinks aren’t very good for you as they either contain sugar or artificial sweetners. Alternatively, if you really can’t stomach water on it’s own you could mix a little fresh juice with water for a healthier drink, or try out some herbal teas which are tasty and hydrating.

As katralla said, when making changes to our diet sometimes it takes a little while for our bodies to adjust. I’m sure if you carry on eating healthy meals, having healthy snacks, drinking lots of water and doing moderate exercise you will feel brimming with energy very soon!

Good luck with it all! :thumb:
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Stool sounds normal to me. That's how it's supposed to be. The tiredness is probably your body getting used to what looks like a really drastic calorie reduction.

By the way, wrt mayonnaise, the extra extra light hellman's tastes just as good as the normal one, but obviously with a whole bunch less fat. Maybe use it as a spread instead of butter sometimes. I don't think I could live without mayo :yum:

Dunno what mayo, its from work so its just tuna mayo premixed in the work fridge :(

Katralla, I should've mentioned, with most meals I'll have steamed carrots and/or Green beans, and with lunch I'll have an apple and/or Grapes so I do get about 4 of my five a day but thanks for noticing and suggesting :)

Lilzo, Water does suck :( do drink around 4/5pint glasses of "weak" diluted juice a day, but yes I should make more of an effort to drink more pure water, as for teas, they suck ass!! :razz:

Anyway cheers for the tips, will try to get an apple before and something after lunch, problem is my fruit/veg appetite sucks, Fruit I like apples/Grapes/Mango, Cannie stand most others,

Veg in is Carrots, Green Beans & Onions :(
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Lilzo, Water does suck :( do drink around 4/5pint glasses of "weak" diluted juice a day, but yes I should make more of an effort to drink more pure water, as for teas, they suck ass!! :razz:

Have you tried flavoured spring water?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Have you tried flavoured spring water?

Hmm will look into it I'll see what our one and only supermarket stocks

Well my dinner this evening is as followed

Chicken breast, the chicken is raised when cooked so not sitting in own juice/fat

Roast Potatoes
    Yorkshire puddings
    Carrots & Green beans

Grapes & Apple for Dessert.

Okay so I got yorkies n roasties there but its our main family meal for the week (im off work for once)
  • Options
    Have you tried the other veg recently? Taste buds change and sometimes you just have to keep giving yourseld a little of something you're not sure about repeatedly until you either truely can't stand it or you start to like it. You could do it as a game with the kids -how many different veg can you try together.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings, you just need to make sure they take up the right proportion of your plate. If you cut 'normal' things out of your diet to lose weigt, you'll only put it all back on again once you start eating those normal things again.
  • Options
    Aye, well until a few months ago i never liked greenbeans but I use to live broccoli, now can't stand it.

I do now have peppers/leuttese etc in some sarnies and I am getting better, dinner was good actually, didn't feel too full but I missed lunch today (Not on purpose, work was really really busy and I just got side tracked) so I might have a chicken sarnie later tonight.
  • Options
    maybe start a food diary so you can see what you are eating and when?

Still can't believe you like Jayne!!!???!?!??!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    maybe start a food diary so you can see what you are eating and when?

Still can't believe you like Jayne!!!???!?!??!

I think i might yeah :) Good idea cheers,
  • Options
    You lose weight by putting your body through malnutrition.

Quite simply you are eating fewer calories than you need. The first thing your body does when faced with fewer calories than it needs is to make little cuts to its budget before digging into its savings. You will have less energy, you will be colder, you will be less alert, you will be more prone to, and take longer to get over illnesses and infections.

These tactics compensate for 100-200 calories per day lost from your diet (stupid body)

The poo changes sound like they are due to an increase in hydration and fibre.

and Jayne is HOTTTTTT!
  • Options
    The good news about the body is when you're maintaining weight, if you have a little too much, it runs those tricks the other way around, and for the first 100 or so extra calories it simply burns them off rather than saving them.
  • Options
    Cheers, I hope I go about this the right way, I seem to be at the moment. now I just need to keep it up.
  • Options
    I can only offer advice on how to get from being VERY overweight to overweight - but my my main pieces of advice are
    • Don't over do it - if you leave yourself hungry after you've eaten, you'll not stick to it
    • Don't deny yourself anything you really want - but adjust how much you have based on how "bad" it is
    • breakfast
  • Options
    if I have chips they're cooked in egg whites to make it a bit healthier

wtf? :confused:
  • Options
    you get egg whites, whisk them in a bowel so its a big bowel of fluff, and coat the chips in them,

then you can cook them with no oil
  • Options
    you get egg whites, whisk them in a bowel so its a big bowel of fluff, and coat the chips in them,

then you can cook them with no oil

Really? When was this invented? Am I the only one thats never heard of this?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Really? When was this invented? Am I the only one thats never heard of this?

http://startcooking.com/blog/141/French-Fries
    Tastes lovely too :)

IT does involve 1/2 teaspoons of sunflower oil (we use one) and we do not use seasoning, just plain chips :)
  • Options
    looks good, never heard of it before either.
  • Options
    me neither, you should put that in a post in the food section :D
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    me neither, you should put that in a post in the food section :D

Done!!!
  • Options
    Im in a weird situation, I very rarely have breakfast before work, bearing in mind I live 40 metres from my front door to the office. I usually have a couple of slices of toast and a cup a soup, along with a mug of tea. I even do this when I have phys training on the morning. So most of the phys I do is on a pretty empty stomach, though Im always eating right afterwards.

Is this a bad thing to do?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Im in a weird situation, I very rarely have breakfast before work, bearing in mind I live 40 metres from my front door to the office. I usually have a couple of slices of toast and a cup a soup, along with a mug of tea. I even do this when I have phys training on the morning. So most of the phys I do is on a pretty empty stomach, though Im always eating right afterwards.

Is this a bad thing to do?

So... instead of breakfast in your house, you have it 40 metres away when you get to the office? If you are eating breakfast, this is the main thing :) As long as you feel ok during exercise, i don't think it's bad?