Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

conjunctivitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Akk. I think I have it :yeees: My mum said if she gets it she's never buying me anything ever again :lol:
She said she'll get me some eye drops, how long will this take to get rid of it? And is there anything else I can do to help it go?
Thanks!
Xx

Comments

• Options
    Shit! My mum said I had to chuck it all.
    I am officially NEVER going outside again... or letting anyone see me with out a paper bag on my head :lol:
    Xx
  • Options
    I got it after working at a primary school. I got some eye drops from the docs but I did have it quite bad. And yeah, if you've had your eye makeup/brushes for a while then chuck them and get some more.
  • Options
    Unlucky.
  • Options
    if you sharpen quite a bit off the end of your eyeliners, and take off the top layer of eyeshadow that'll do, but you'd have to get new mascara.
  • Options
    If you want to replace your make up and don't want to spend much, this website is good http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/
  • Options
    Hey Broken-Angel,

As others have said it is advisable to replace eye make up brushes, mascara etc Be sure to wash your hands regularly and no touching, itching, picking thats the hard part if its bad.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    As a bonifide cheapass, the cheap brushes work just dandy if you are woried about that ;) Or if they are the higher quality brushes, do you think a run through a disinfectant cycle would work? A quick search brings up suggestions of disinfectants that are widely available that artists use, household cleaning product mixtures, shampoo for natural hair brushes and a plethora of other things, but I don't know if those are just for general cleaning or hardcore cleaning after a sickness.
  • Options
    dollypop wrote: »
    Hey Broken-Angel,

As others have said it is advisable to replace eye make up brushes, mascara etc Be sure to wash your hands regularly and no touching, itching, picking thats the hard part if its bad.

dp :heart:

... and defo no sharing of towels, facecloths, etc!
  • Options
    Why throw away perfectly good makeup brushes :eek:?

Bit of baby shampoo does them wonders. This goes for everyone - you should be washing makeup brushes at least once a month, more if you use them a lot, otherwise you get stuff like conjunctivitis and bacteria and nastiness.

Eyeliner pencils and mascara should be replaced at least every six months, regardless of how much is left (or, if you have a pencil you don't use very much at all, a bit of rubbing alcohol on the end will work too). Dry eyeshadows/blushes/stuff like that should be fine with a once over of tissue to get the top layer off.

I don't know why everyone is all 'THROW AWAY ALL YOUR BRUSHES AND MAKEUP!!!!!' because that's bollocks. What a waste of money :|.
  • Options
    throwing the stuff away or removing layers from the make up is advised as it removes any conjuctivitus-causing bacteria that can still be lingering after you have got rid of conjuctivitus.

The fact it costs money is annoying, but really, unless you want to run the risk of catching it again it is a very sensible step to take!
  • Options
    throwing the stuff away or removing layers from the make up is advised as it removes any conjuctivitus-causing bacteria that can still be lingering after you have got rid of conjuctivitus.

The fact it costs money is annoying, but really, unless you want to run the risk of catching it again it is a very sensible step to take!
    I know that. But really, removing the top layers of stuff is more than adequate. I'm just saying it is slightly OTT for everyone to be going 'throw it all away!!!!!!!!' when she might not even have it and there are other just as simple and effective ways of getting rid of the bacteria.

Bit of isopropyl alcohol and a dry cloth on the makeup, deep clean the brushes (twice, probably, if you haven't done it before) with some baby shampoo or brush cleaner (baby shampoo is cheaper and works just as well). The mascara and eye pencil are going to have to go, but in the long run that's better than chucking EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Why throw away perfectly good makeup brushes :eek:?

Because you only get one pair of eyes in life, but as many brushes as you want.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Because you only get one pair of eyes in life, but as many brushes as you want.
    You can, however, clean them.

Seriously, it's basic hygiene. I don't know why people don't just do it anyway.