Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A free ride

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Our wireless broadband has been shagged (it's the ISP not the router) for 18 days now and doing my head in. We're getting about 0.1 meg, so i've been using other peoples unpassworded connections that the router picks up. So two questions 1. will they know someone's high jacking their connection and 2. Am i leaving myself open to someone seeing the data being transferred on my computer, i.e. passwords, user names etc. Ta muchly.

Comments

• Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Probably not the wisest thing to do.

Depending on skill/knowledge, the answer to both your questions is yes.
  • Options
    Ta :)
  • Options
    1. Yes, they can tell your using their connection. Your IP address/host name/mac address will show up in their DHCP client list inside the router control panel, they can block it if they want and filter what MAC addresses can enter their network.

2. It is possible to see what your doing on their network, but I wouldn't worry about it because they don't even have their access point encrypted which would make me think that they wouldn't know how to start sniffing network traffic.

EDIT: You already got your answer.
  • Options
    You're using someone elses unprotected wireless access point?

This is illegal and there has already been case of conviction against authorised access in 2005. However, I believe the chances of being caught are slim also you could claim it "jumped" from using your connection to theirs ("accidentally"). I wouldn't start using it for heavy downloading would probably draw attention to the fact that someone else is using it!

Anyway, there is a risk sending anything unencrypted across such connection. It is possible that someone might packet sniff especially since this is unprotected access point! I doubt the owner of it has a clue, especially since he/she so nicely neglected to secure his access point.

I think, if it's unprotected, it's something public for everyone! :)
  • Options
    You naughty boy :p
  • Options
    Knobbbly wrote:
    I think, if it's unprotected, it's something public for everyone! :)

Oh dear God, they've seen my Gaydar profile :D
  • Options
    Our wireless internet has been broken for ages now cuz my dad hasn't bothered sorting it as the neighbours connections are so efficent :D
  • Options
    how would I go about password protecting mine?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahahah.

Pwning wireless interent noobs is always fun.

LONG LIVE WIRES FTW!!!
  • Options
    doesn't matter so much when you're in a village with no neighbours :p. Just need to watch out for people camping on the driveway...
  • Options
    Woo Hoo, well after 19 days, about 12 hours worth of calls to force9 :cough: support :cough: it seems to be back in all it's broadbandy glory :D Right, time to get the bf emailing 'em to get a 19 day credit off 'em ;)
  • Options
    Buggeration. Not got broadband back, stoopid router decided to connect to someone elses connection, even though it said it was ours. Ah well, back on the phone again i spose.