Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how to kill time at the airport

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
you got to the airport 3 hours early and had your baggage checked. how would you typically consume the rest of the time? as I would only either have my eyes on the TV screen or play games on my mobile. any other better things to do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Depends how the big the airport is. I usually go and explore for a bit, see what shops and places to eat there are. Some airports have quite cool bits and bobs that you'll discover, for example Singapore has free massage chairs, free internet, coi carp gardens, showers e.t.c.
    After that, I usually search for the smoking area and have a fag, get something to eat, have another fag and then find the pub and get a couple of drinks in.
  • Options
    Executive lounge - free bar.
  • Options
    Depends which airport. At the shitty UK airports it's a case of getting an overpriced coffee and a trashy book and spend the time trying not to murder all the window-lickers in football shirts.

Overseas, it's the same, except it's nice coffee. Hong Kong airport is fantastic for that.
  • Options
    If you're ever unlucky enough to end up in Abu Dhabi or Doha airports, just find the corridor that leads to your plane, sit in it and read a book.
    Avoid the toilets at all cost and go into the smoking room at your own peril.
  • Options
    at the Amsterdam airport my mum, my aunt, my cousin and I played hide and seek. We had 4 hours!! Very funny.
    C-A x
  • Options
    I have a wander round in the little shops, buy a few magazines, read a bit of a book, listen to my ipod and spend alot of time people watching!
  • Options
    I just buy alot of magazines or wonder around the shops, and ALWAYS bring my iPod. :)
  • Options
    The battery ran out on my phone and Mp4 player like as soon as I walked in the airport :-( haha
    C-A x
  • Options
    Depending on how much time you want to kill you could say you have a bomb in your luggage, that usually takes up a few hours :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Depending on how much time you want to kill you could say you have a bomb in your luggage, that usually takes up a few hours :p

lmao..i usually just listen to my iPod (mp3 player really but yno) and just observe the place, usually someone epic fails by falling over or something which brightens my day.

That or listen to my mam rambling on about useless shit i either already know or dont care about, such as "two weeks in the sun, time to relax!"

orly? i thought holidays were ment to stress you out in the rain :l
  • Options
    Usually, I surf internet in the airport lounge.
  • Options
    Read a book, hit the shops and arcades. Usually get something to eat as energy is pretty low after having to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning to avoid being stuck in massive check-in que.

Oh and watch all the planes landing and taking off!
  • Options
    i usually buy lots of magazines to read and eat chocolate.

i also ALWAYS carry my nintendo DS with me too to play on and my ipod.
  • Options
    Can't remember the last time I've been early, usually sprinting to the gate and crossing my fingers my supposed to be checked luggage will fit in the overhead compartment. :p
  • Options
    At Gatwick airport I usually head to the bar and get loads of cheap drinks in, then sit watching people go by whilst listening to music. Its also worth having a look at all the booze in the shops, trying to find the most expensive bottle of Whiskey you can.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Overseas, it's the same, except it's nice coffee. Hong Kong airport is fantastic for that.

HOng Kong airport gave me hideous food poisoning!!! :yuck:
  • Options
    if its a decent airport then usually ill browse round the shops, have a coffee and food and then sit nd read a magazine or two/book

when i was in beijing airport, i was there for just under 12 hours and it was BOLLOCKS!! they had a few souvenir shops selling smokes and chocs etc, but there were no decent places to get a coffee or light snacks, there were no power point outlets (my ipod and phone had both died on the 10 hour flight to get there), there were no shops to buy magazines or books (fnished book on previous flight) aand the airport inself was freezing.
    that being said, i ended up sitting on an extremely uncomfortable metal chair for about 11 hours and did.. nothing. i actually ended up ripping pages out of the book id just finished and drew the people sitting around me. that filled about an hour before i got bored and did nothing again :impissed:

..bahrain airport was nearly as bad too
  • Options
    i usually read books/magazines, play mobile games, watch tv, eat some snack,