Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Temporary Dye - Blonde to Red?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I've been thinking of trying mid-dark red but I currently have mid-light blonde hair which is highlighted/dyed at the roots every 2 months or so. I should naturally be light brown but have actually not had to dye a whole head of hair for years and years - I just highlight the roots.

I have been reading horror stories of never being able revert back blonde and red dye ruining hair and wanted to know if there is a wash in wash out variation I could try. I'm a teacher so I can't really afford to have a massive muck up of my hair, especially if it doesn't suit me. I have quite pale skin too and am hoping this might enhance my look but if I end up looking washed out because of it then I wanted to be able to get rid of it!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Go see the professionals.

Or do strand tests.
  • Options
    I agree, go to the hairdressers if you want to try red! It took me forever to get back to blonde, but it's not impossible.

Having said that, there are those Wella colours you can get. I think that's what they are. Really cheap, called shaders and toners, wash in wash out. Not sure if they're meant to be used to try a complete colour change though.
  • Options
    I'd also wait 'til the summer holidays - so at the worst you'll be going in with a short style, not a buzz cut
  • Options
    My friend is blonde, tried to dye it red and it went like a really odd pink.
    So go to the hairdressers :p
    Xx
  • Options
    Hairdressers, yep.

Also be aware that blonde back from red tends to go via orange. Trust me, it's not a good way to do it.