Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Appealing a driving test.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be fair, they were. It's their job.

Indeed. And, more importantly, it's not their job to "put you at ease". Whilst they should maintain some degree of professionalism - and so not be insulting - they are not there to nurse you through the test.
  • Options
    "Perhaps you're not ready to take your test then."

Is completely unprofessional of an examiner to say.

I thought so too.

I've discovered today though, that two other people (a girl at college, and someone she knows) have complained about this same examiner, for being rude and shouting (as she did actually raise her voice and "tell me off" it's very unlikely I could of imagined it) and I've also spoke to another friend, who's mum is a driving instructor, and she has also complained about her failing people for reasons that make no sense.

She also says that I was completely right in what I did at the roundabout, and that I shouldn't have been stopped halfway through a manouveure, and that unless I was hardly moving, I shouldn'tbe failed for going "too slow" when reversing. So that's three ADI's on my side now.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I suggest that you stick at the same test centre, because otherwise you will be taking your test on less familiar routes.
    Tbh, I'd rather do a few lessons in Cannock (where my instructor also teaches) and take my test there. I'm really not impressed with how I was treated at my local one.
  • Options
    There's no massive problem in doing it somewhere you don't know that well, in fact you'll probably drive 'properly' rather than realistically there if the only driving you've done there is to practise for your test.

I got a tosser of an examiner at my local centre and switched to a different one, which suited me a lot better. Sadly the examiner is perfectly entitled to tell you off and make recommendations about your driving, like you being really nervous so possibly not ready. I'm not saying you weren't ready, but it is a reasonable thought process, if you were completely ready then plenty of people would think that there is no reason to be nervous (these people fail to remember that lots of people find tests of any sort unnerving).
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    That's what I would call it tbh, I felt picked on and upset by her. I'm definetely not retaking my test at that test centre. I'll speak to the CAB tomorrow (just had a look and they're not open today by the time my mum gets back) and see what they say :)

My instructor advised me that should I fail my test (i was paranoid), the answer was to retake and ask for your instructor to accompany you. You're instructor is allowed to sit in the back seat, they won't be able to say anything to you during the test but they can make notes as to what you or the examiner has done/said. My boyfriend felt he was failed unfairly and had his instructor with him the next time. I think it makes the examiners behave a bit more nicely as it sounds like yours was taking her pmt out on you! Best of luck xXx
  • Options
    Thanks Dobbin. I have had my instructor with me on previous tests, but to be honest... it's a small car (Mini) for a tall bloke to be scrunched up in theback seat, and I just felt like I was being tested twice over.
  • Options
    I think there is a time limit in manouvres, but it's something silly like 5 minutes. I can't remember exactly. But maybe she had decided 'I'm gonna fail this girl so there's no point'. Which is wrong.

By all means make a complaint :) it's not fair to treat you like that. Even if they do nothing, they have a duty to 'file' it, so if in the future she gets accused of shouting at someone and gets brought up in a tribunal or something (i honestly don't know how it works) then they have a record of her being rude and unprofessional to exam candidates.

Being cynical, examiners can get in trouble if they pass or fail too many people, so if they've passed a lot they *might* try and fail you for something in order to keep the numbers happy. But normally doesn't occur these days (did in the 'olden days' apparently though... :p).

Good luck with everything and the next driving test :)
  • Options
    As for getting a major in being in the left hand lane, I was told by instructors and I'm sure it's the highway code that you should always try and remain in the left-most lane possible, even at roundabouts. Only go in the right lane for turning right or overtaking or if theres a big queue in the left lane at a junction :p

That is a load of nonsense.

I'll let you read here how you should approach a roundabout and what you should do on it.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.htm#160

This section makes is slightly ambiguous which lane to join when you take an intermediate exit, eg the second:
    When taking any intermediate exit
    select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary
    stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
    It may well depend on the road markings or any signs prior to the roundabout.
  • Options
    That is a load of nonsense.

Actually, it isn't :confused:. The highway code does say that you usually travel in the left-most lane, and the other lanes are for overtaking. At junctions you do select the appropriate lane, but if there are two lanes (think of a motorway diverging) then go in the left-most lane (even if it's the middle lane) so faster moving traffic can pass on the right.

I may not be 100% correct, but it's far from a load of nonsense. A good example of nonsense: "it's best to reverse round a roundabout with your hazard lights on, whilst singing 'come on eileen'.
    This section makes is slightly ambiguous which lane to join when you take an intermediate exit, eg the second:

It may well depend on the road markings or any signs prior to the roundabout.

So it depends on the road markings.

If there are two lanes, one with the road marking forward and left, and one with forward and right, you take the left lane usually by default for the second junction, as this minimises the risk that a car in the left lane will try and continue on to the third junction with you in the right lane.
  • Options
    How did it go in the end, have you lodged a complaint?
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote:
    How did it go in the end, have you lodged a complaint?

I have. I've recieved something saying that they're "looking into my problem" (yes, of course :rolleyes: ) and they'll email me an official response within ten days.

That was Monday, so I'm not holding out for anything any time soon. I can't book another test just yet anyway, so I'm just going to wait patiently.
  • Options
    Which roundabout was it, Nik? Was it in Stafford?
  • Options
    Which roundabout was it, Nik? Was it in Stafford?

Going up Eccleshall road towards the motorway, and I needed to go into Creswell. Straight ahead, left hand lane :mad: I'd done it on my pretest about 20 minutes before haha.
  • Options
    Yeah, you'd be fine using the left-hand lane there. There isn't any markings to dictate otherwish. On a roundabout of that size, personally, I'd hang in the right-hand lane - but the highway code says the left-hand lane is for turning left and going straight-ahead unless directed otherwise, which means you were doing it by the book.

Definitely worth disputing that point at least :).
  • Options
    yeah, you will not be able to change the result. Youre definately better off going for a complaint. Ur story made me angry thats really harsh she should be punished for that.

Good Luck
  • Options
    my girl had 4 minors on her 1st test and was told she failed her test due to undo hesitation. ie stopping at every give way and going into 1st gear (as she was taught too) the examiner was from outside her test centre due to it bieng on a sun. her instructor and another instructer have told her how absurd this decision is. would thier b any point apealing this...?
  • Options
    failed driving test
    stef wrote: »
    my girl had 4 minors on her 1st test and was told she failed her test due to undo hesitation. ie stopping at every give way and going into 1st gear (as she was taught too) the examiner was from outside her test centre due to it bieng on a sun. her instructor and another instructer have told her how absurd this decision is. would thier b any point apealing this...?
    (examiner)(at the end of test)
    eh u went too 1st gear at every give way,its a give way not a stop sign
  • Options
    stef wrote: »
    (examiner)(at the end of test)
    eh u went too 1st gear at every give way,its a give way not a stop sign

Sounds fair enough to me, you don't have to slow down to a crawl at every give way, I was never taught to go into first for long sweeping give ways etc. I was taught to maintain momentum if possible. So long as you make the approach at a suitable speed it should be possible to judge in advance if you can safely continue. I can only expect that that was what the examiner was picking up on.
  • Options
    Yea it does sound like the examiner is within their rights to fail under that circumstance and probably not worth an appeal. You should consider though that examiners are just human and at the end of the day there are plenty that don't do things 'by the book' whether that means overlooking one good drivers silly mistake or penalising another driver because they don't like them, I don't know. I failed for speed judgement once for going too fast - 25 in a 30. Considering that the previous examiner who I'd driven the same with had said that my driving was very good but I'd made a mistake, different examiners are very inconsistent even the same examiner day to day.

I think all you can do is practice, practice, practice, and increase the odds of your passing. Because even if you drive perfectly, there will be a chance that they'll fail you, because they're human and make their own mistakes / poor judgement.
  • Options
    Was this the roundabout?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ecclesall+road,+stafford&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.181725,19.6875&ie=UTF8&ll=52.826067,-2.145161&spn=0.002292,0.004807&t=h&z=18

I'd say left hand lane was the correct one, as it's not a dual carriageway into Creswell Grove, meaning that right hand lane traffic would be forced to merge with traffic already in the road

I'd only use the right hand lane there to go on the M6, or the A34
  • Options
    FCUK it wrote: »
    Was this the roundabout?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ecclesall+road,+stafford&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.181725,19.6875&ie=UTF8&ll=52.826067,-2.145161&spn=0.002292,0.004807&t=h&z=18

I'd say left hand lane was the correct one, as it's not a dual carriageway into Creswell Grove, meaning that right hand lane traffic would be forced to merge with traffic already in the road

I'd only use the right hand lane there to go on the M6, or the A34

Ok I know this is a very old thread, but I had to reply... I'm in amazement, Id forgotten all about this haha! Only logged on today for the first time in ages to be nosy :-)

That was the roundabout yes (I use it constantly now haha!). I should have updated on here really, the woman was given a warning due to her ways, and wasn't allowed to be allocated me on test again (or however it works) and as far as I know was later that year fired (or at least suspended) because she kept it up with others - including friends of mine. Grr.

I, however, passed my driving test on the next go with 4 minors :-) And have been driving 2 years now :D

So yes. Thanks for your advice back then you lot! :heart:
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Ok I know this is a very old thread, but I had to reply... I'm in amazement, Id forgotten all about this haha! Only logged on today for the first time in ages to be nosy :-)

That was the roundabout yes (I use it constantly now haha!). I should have updated on here really, the woman was given a warning due to her ways, and wasn't allowed to be allocated me on test again (or however it works) and as far as I know was later that year fired (or at least suspended) because she kept it up with others - including friends of mine. Grr.

I, however, passed my driving test on the next go with 4 minors :-) And have been driving 2 years now :D

So yes. Thanks for your advice back then you lot! :heart:

Haha! How funny!

YAY! :) Congrats!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear

Sorry to hear about your predicament and I have to say I know how you feel because I too was shafted by the examiner in Pinner test centre in London the old c*nt. Basically there is NOTHING you can do. All in all you will waste time and energy going to and fro photocopying your mark sheet and posting it here and there and witness statement this and that by the time you do get your £50 for the test back it just wont be worth it. You will realise that nothing has changed and by the time you do receive your £50 you have either passed your driving test or are in que for 1 because it took me just over a year to get my money back(which wasnt my intention I wanted the fail turned to a pass not the £50) which when I did receive and looked back at all the forms and running I had to do just didint seem adequate. Dont put yourself through this because there is no true reward for the effort you put in to seek justice.
    So just throw a tantrum call the examiner the worst names and forget about it and move on.
  • Options
    To be fair it's clearly stated on the forms that appealing the test result will not get your fail converted to a pass.

Also this thread is pretty old.
  • Options
    ... and the OP clearly indicated that while of little personal benefit, going through the complaints procedure was worthwhile