Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dumbbells

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just need some help choosing the right weight of dumbbells. I can't remember what I used to do at the gym. I could either get a set of:
0.5, 1, 1.5 kg or
1.5, 3, 5kg

I'm going to be using them for my arms and doing squats and lunges. thanks

Comments

• Options
    When I bought weights I decided to get a set where you add the weights on to a small bar. I find that all but the 5kg are useless to me and even those are a bit light for most things. I'm not muscley, but some people find it harder to lift heavy weights I suppose. So I'd try out some if I were you, borrow someone elses, or use them at the gym, to get an idea of what would suit you.
  • Options
    Or just use two baked bean tins and save yourself the storage space? :chin:
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    Or just use two baked bean tins and save yourself the storage space? :chin:

0.5 to 1.5 is pretty much nothing. May as well use a bag of sugar.
  • Options
    Another cheap option is to use the big cartons of milk and just fill them with water, makes them pretty heavy!

Instead of getting dumbells that are a fixed weight what about getting the ones where you can add weight on with the weight disks
  • Options
    I don't like argos, but I wouldn't know where else they are cheap

I would suggest something like http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9003132/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/2|cat_14419152|Home+gym+equipment|14419293/c_3/3|cat_14419293|Weights+and+dumbbells|14419310.htm

there are other more expensive ones there, but with metal handles, which I don't find as comfortable to use if you don't use lifting gloves.
  • Options
    They look quite good, I'll try them. Thanks