Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prepare to pay more for your car insurance!

Just when you think that revolting Harriet Hagperson creature couldn't get any more stupid, she surprises us all. Her beloved Equalities Bill has got some nasty stings in the tail.

Says the Mail: "Millions of motorists face hefty car insurance price hikes under Government moves to ban companies from using people's age when the assessing accident risk. And the cost of travel insurance could double if they were no longer able to take people's age into account, say insurers. The changes will also affect all other forms of insurance."

This is utterly daft, yet completely typical of this useless government - does it ever think anything through? I can understand that age shouldn't be a factor for some kinds of insurance - the idea that someone who's old shouldn't get travel insurance on the grounds they might suddenly get sick or die whilst on holiday is perverse, to say the least. But car insurance? Research and statistics show overwhelmingly that it is the youngest drivers (particularly men aged between 17-25) who have most accidents behind the wheel. Why shouldn't we pay more in insurance as a result? Besides, if it's so expensive, there are always ways to bring the cost down - drive a smaller car, for example.

I shall hand to the masses...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You do realise old people going on holiday and young drivers are discriminated against for exactly the same reason don't you?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    You do realise old people going on holiday and young drivers are discriminated against for exactly the same reason don't you?
    What, on the off-chance that a 76-year old man on holiday might decide to get into a car and drive like a fucking lunatic? No, I can't see the similiarity myself...
  • Options
    What does a 76 year old and a young person behind a wheel have in common?
  • Options
    What does a 76 year old and a young person behind a wheel have in common?
    Depends whether the 76-year old is behind the wheel, but... if they were, they are both a bigger risk and are responsible for more accidents. Although not necesarily for the same reasons, and the youngest drivers cause by far the most.
  • Options
    They are both a higher risk compared to the average person. Insurance companies cover risk so they are going to charge more. Allowing one and not the other is not an objective way of looking at it.
    Although not necesarily for the same reasons

The reason is the same - age. Old age and youth make the risk of paying out higher just like being a woman makes the risk of paying out lower (for a driver).
  • Options
    They are both a higher risk compared to the average person. Insurance companies cover risk so they are going to charge more.
    I never said they weren't a higher risk. :confused:

Frankly, I have no idea where you're going with this. The whole point of the thread is to point out that they want to make it illegal for insurance companies to use age when deciding how much to charge someone for cover. Which opens up a total minefield of problems...
  • Options
    A.I.G ...just went down the pan so ...you can add that to your costs as well.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I never said they weren't a higher risk. :confused:

Frankly, I have no idea where you're going with this. The whole point of the thread is to point out that they want to make it illegal for insurance companies to use age when deciding how much to charge someone for cover. Which opens up a total minefield of problems...

I was discussing this point:
    the idea that someone who's old shouldn't get travel insurance on the grounds they might suddenly get sick or die whilst on holiday is perverse, to say the least. But car insurance?
  • Options
    Don't pay to insure your car. The fact is, you will almost certainly pay less in fines if you are caught than you would have to pay the insurer. I've seen many fines on driving licences, they are no deterrent at all.
    Disturbingly, this is true. My understanding is that the fine for driving without valid insurance for a vehicle is £200 - for almost everyone, this is less than the cost of actually getting legally covered.

Up the fine to something like £5000 and people might start to take notice.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Exactly.

This is good new really.
    Insurance quotes should be based on a individual circumstances.

Stargalaxy if it were shown that black people are statistically more likely to claim would you think it acceptable to bump of quotes for black people?

Age and sex should have nothing to do with it.
    Previous claim history, milage, type of car, where you live, security should have everything to do with it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you support the ability of insurers to use age as a factor in car insurance, how can you possibly be against it in other forms of insurance? It's either one or the other. You can't allow car insurers to charge young people more, and then call it discrimination when an older person is charged more for health or travel insurance. If it's wrong in one case, it's wrong in all.

And besides, it shouldn't make much difference. You will still be allowed to (rightly) differentiate between drivers based on previous driving experience. So a young person who's just passed his test will still get charged a lot more than a 50 year old who's been driving for 30 years. It just means that a 50 year old new driver will be charged exactly the same as an 18 year old new driver. Quite rightly.
  • Options
    That would make sense IWS. I've looked into the insurance industry before and everyone thinks it's just about the risks, and (as someone who wants to work in that industry ;)) I can tell you just as much as any other industry it's about making money. There's a lot of market segmentation where they will try to divide people based on how much they earn and milk it out of everyone, there's a lot of marketing so these women's only ones like diamond look really appealing, when they're actually just part of a bigger firm. I think there are only 5 major insurers in the UK as it happens.

Maybe insurance at least third party insurance should be nationalised. So you would get a car and pay your car tax which would include a provision for injuries / compensation to others - then in case of an accident the government could pay out. Then you can 'top up' your insurance with private providers to give yourself cover from fire, theft, reversing into a wall, that kind of thing.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Exactly.

This is good new really.
    Insurance quotes should be based on a individual circumstances.

Stargalaxy if it were shown that black people are statistically more likely to claim would you think it acceptable to bump of quotes for black people?

Age and sex should have nothing to do with it.
    Previous claim history, milage, type of car, where you live, security should have everything to do with it.

Age and sex affect behaviour and judgement but race doesn't.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Maybe insurance at least third party insurance should be nationalised. So you would get a car and pay your car tax which would include a provision for injuries / compensation to others - then in case of an accident the government could pay out. Then you can 'top up' your insurance with private providers to give yourself cover from fire, theft, reversing into a wall, that kind of thing.

More communism. The people can't enough of the stuff.
  • Options
    I take it you object to the NHS too? If it's legally required, why have private profit making firms organising it just as the free market will. They just bump prices up because they know by law you have to have it.
  • Options
    Age and sex affect behaviour and judgement but race doesn't.

Accepted. But it's still descrimination.

For years insurances companies descriminated against me for having a a cock and being young, I had to pay through the nose to insure my cars despite any evidence to suggest that I as an individual was somebody that is likely to claim - I have never claimed.

So I have paid over the odds. That's wrong surely.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If it's legally required, why have private profit making firms organising it just as the free market will. They just bump prices up because they know by law you have to have it.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I take it you object to the NHS too?

I have learned, over the years, to arrange my affairs in such a way that my emotional balance is not affected to any large extent by other people practising communism.
    If it's legally required, why have private profit making firms organising it just as the free market will. They just bump prices up because they know by law you have to have it.

That is not totally correct. There are legal exemptions albeit somewhat prohibitive to most (and by design, I suspect).

You appear to confuse free market economics with lobbying corporations bribing legislators to enact laws that favour their business model. (See the history of car insurance for more details).
  • Options
    Accepted. But it's still descrimination.

For years insurances companies descriminated against me for having a a cock and being young, I had to pay through the nose to insure my cars despite any evidence to suggest that I as an individual was somebody that is likely to claim - I have never claimed.

So I have paid over the odds. That's wrong surely.

So, discrimination simply means to make a difference between something. It isn't positive or negative. Racial discrimination is unacceptable as race isn't a determinant of personal traits and to discriminate because of race would be discrimination based on a false belief or other dubious reasons.

Insurance firms have to discriminate based on sex and age because on average different demographics carry different risks of paying out. If you imagine two overlapping bell curves you may be of the demography that carrys the higher risk but as the curves overlap you are a lower risk than the average person in the lower risk group. Unfortunatly companies don't have access to this information as it's basically impossible to gather so the next best solution is to discriminate based on the average of a group. If they didn't then general prices would have to rise and that would be a larger disutility than when prices discriminate between sex or age. It's similar for wage differentials between the sexes.
  • Options
    For years insurance companies discriminated against me for having a a cock and being young, I had to pay through the nose to insure my cars despite any evidence to suggest that I as an individual was somebody that is likely to claim - I have never claimed. So I have paid over the odds. That's wrong surely.
    No, not really. Young men are more likely than any other group to have a serious accident, so it's only right we should pay more than everyone else. I've no problem with it - although I must admit I am looking forward to the day I turn 25 and the cost comes down!
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    So, discrimination simply means to make a difference between something. It isn't positive or negative. Racial discrimination is unacceptable as race isn't a determinant of personal traits and to discriminate because of race would be discrimination based on a false belief or other dubious reasons.

Well yes of course. Insurance is based on descrination, but it comes down to what it's acceptable to descriminate against. I find the idea of descriminating against such broad factors as age and sex wrong to be honest. Statistics show that young men are more f a financial risk to insurance companies, but that doesn't mean I'm a worse driver as an individual.

Without sex and age there are still plenty of other individual personal variables.

If it's ok for companies to offer cheaper prices for women for insurance based on statistical evidence, then why isn't it ok for companies to discriminate against age, women & ethnic minorities based on statistical evidence?

If I as an employer had a vacancy for a physically demanding job such as a labourer, I wouldn't be able to advertise the job at $400 a week for men and $300 a week for women, despite evidence that men are generally more suited to such roles.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I can understand the logic behind risk assesment, but I do believe insurance companies are very unfair and illogical in their calculations.

Famously there can be significant differences in premiums between people of the same age and circumstances but slightly different professions (say a store manager paying a lot less than a marketing consultant.

And it is unfair to charge youngsters up to 2 grand for insurance. Some of them might indeed be a greater risk (say a boy racer) but a cautious, responsible 18 year old man or woman is probably a lot safer than a 40-something geezer who's been driving for 20 years and thinks he's the business.
  • Options
    Aladdin,

cautious, responsible 18 year old man or woman? They don't exist, l think the insurance firms are right. Too many glue sniffers about.
  • Options
    Er, no. You're talking rubbish.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Famously there can be significant differences in premiums between people of the same age and circumstances but slightly different professions (say a store manager paying a lot less than a marketing consultant.
    Last year, I was looking for a new company to insure my car with - Barclays refused to insure me at all, on the grounds that I worked in the gambling industry. :confused: I shit you not.

You can also get a discount of up to a third on car insurance if you're married. No, I'm not sure how going down the aisle suddenly makes me a better driver either.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    You can also get a discount of up to a third on car insurance if you're married. No, I'm not sure how going down the aisle suddenly makes me a better driver either.
    Because it's all bollocks. Statistical corrolation is no evidence of causation. Just because it's true that young people statistically are a higher risk doesn't make age a factor in the likelihood to claim on an individual level. Certainly less so than, for example, age when it comes to health or travel insurance, where there is a clear causal link between the likelihood to make a claim. An older man has more risk of needing hospital treatment for all sorts of conditions precisely because of their age. Now I think that should be done on an individual basis too, based on previous conditions, but it's certain that if you think that age should be allowed to be used as a factor, then health and travel insurance should be the first candidates, because they're the ones with the most obvious links between age and risk.