Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hand back my pension? Piss off, says disgraced ex-banker

I had better explain what I'm referring to before Thunderstruck gets a heart attack. :p

Says the Beeb: "Ex-Royal Bank of Scotland boss Sir Fred Goodwin has rejected calls to give up his £650,000-a-year pension. Chancellor Alistair Darling had asked him to hand back his £16m pension pot amid anger about rewards for failure. But Sir Fred rejected that request in a letter to the Treasury in which he also says ministers agreed to the deal. Mr Darling says that the government had thought the deal was legally binding when it was agreed in October, but now realised they could have blocked it."

Darling, you incompetent boob. That was my first reaction. My second was asking - why should Goodwin give up his pension? Yes, it's true that he well and truly left RBS in deep shit. No, he doesn't deserve his pension money. However, would you honestly give up part or all of your pension entitlement if you were asked to? I sure as hell wouldn't. When you consider also that the government wants you to give up your pension simply to cover up their own incompetence, all the more reason for Goodwin to tell his fellow countryman at the Treasury to get lost.

And you've got to laugh at the idea of Gordon Brown - he who stole billions from the pensions system whilst Chancellor in a scam that would have made Robert Maxwell blush with embarrassment - saying "nobody could support" Goodwin getting such lavish pension entitlements. Aren't politicians the group in society that get the best pensions nowadays? Where else can you get a final-salary scheme pension - certainly not in the private sector, very rarely in the public sector. Never thought I'd say this, but I support Fred The Shred on this one.

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this story has annoyed the hell out of me. Why the hell should he have to give up his pension? fair enough things went down the shitter and all that, but the guy still deserves his retirement fund. There are plenty of other "funded by taxes" employees out there that get laid off every year and carry on getting full wage as pensions, this includes doctors who have been struck off, such as Harold Shipman who was still entitled to his pension, well his wife was.

What is wrong with people!!!

the guy also passed up on his 1 years notice as well which would have netted him another 1.5m, surely this is enough
  • Options
    whilst I agree in principle that nobody should have to give up their retirement fund, I think £650000 a year is obscene and I'm quite sure he doesn't deserve anywhere near that amount.
  • Options
    The amount of the pension is obscene yes but everyone who earns a wage is entitled to a pension when they retire. Not wishing to defend him much, though I imagine he's probably paid more income tax than most of us will in a lifetime. Asking him to forego what he is legally entitled to is just absurd.
  • Options
    If I was in charge of a company which collapsed so badly and had to be bailed out by the tax payer I would be ashamed and embarrassed to be receiving such a sum as a pension.

Its not like Mr Goodwin is going to be on the breadline, this guy is already very wealthy and can live a very comfortable life without £650,000 a year from our taxes. I wouldn't want to see the guy penniless in his retirement, but thats not going to happen.

Once RBS pays every penny back to the government it can pay what the fuck it likes to whoever it likes, thats then none of our business.
  • Options
    This is another example of the limited liability I alluded to in the capitalism thread. Those two ugly twin sisters of corporatism and taxation have reared their head again. Corporate Law says that he is legally entitled to that pension and the mug taxpayer foots the bill. A couple of points worthy of mention :

He should not get £650,000 unless tax laws radically change any time soon. £613,000 of that figure will be subject to 40% tax.

If the bank had been allowed to fail, it is highly likely he would not have received a penny.

(A couple of posters have said the amount is obscene. I cannot help wondering what figure is not obscene ? And how do you arrive at that figure ?)
  • Options
    Isn't there something like 3,000+ 'undefined' positions in Westminster/Whitehall ? People with jobs that basically do fuck all. 3,000 x £15,000 (and that's being generous) = £45,000,000/year spent on nothing. Why not do something about that Mr. Darling.
  • Options
    £650,000 may be an obscene amount, but the bank signed a contract BEFORE it was taken over.

If I had that money, and the government tried to take it I'd sue the fuck out of them.
    Besides, they'll be getting nearly half of it back every year anyway.
  • Options
    It was something to hear John Prescott on the Today programme this morning. We should just take away Goodwin's pension, Prezzer said, and dare him to sue. I'd go with 'obscene amount' too, but if the man is entitled to it, and no-one can think of a valid, legal, reason why he should lose it, the only people who are going to benefit from Prescott's suggestion are Goodwin and lawyers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7914000/7914254.stm
  • Options
    The Treasury agreed to it when Goodwin left so they really have no leg to stand on now that they're asking for it back. Goodwin has every right to tell them where to stick it.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    It was something to hear John Prescott on the Today programme this morning. We should just take away Goodwin's pension, Prezzer said, and dare him to sue.
    Prescott's got one hell of a cheek complaining about people taking money from taxpayers. It's thanks to his years of standing around playing croquet and punching people that he's got his pension. It's thanks to that he's a millionaire now. If you've got time to read it, Guido Fawkes hits the nail right on the head.
  • Options
    All these troubles came about after Gordon Brown was chancellor for donkeys years, and is now the PM. Does this mean Gordon Brown will be waiving his pension rights also?

I'm not defending the useless banker boss, just wondering whether we can expect GB to practice what he preaches...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If you've got time to read it, Guido Fawkes hits the nail right on the head.
    Nasteh :)

I quite like Hazel "Save me 'ospital" Blears nowadays, though. She's getting into a habit of criticising career politicians, like my own MP, who used to work for her until he was replaced by Sadiq Khan.

She wants to lose that Michael Myers mask, though...
  • Options
    Brown sounds like a Robot to me

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7916215.stm

Anyway I don't blame our Prime Minister - he's not been in the job that long ... I blame the chap who was Chancellor of the Exchequer for over 10 years ... what was his name again ... :chin:
  • Options
    Oh for fuck's sake. If there's anything more likely to piss me off than Gordon Brown, it's Harriet Hagperson. She was on Andy Marr's show on the Beeb this morning. Despite the fact he gave her an easy ride, she managed to come out with this belter;

"Sir Fred should not be counting on being £650,000 a year better off as a result of this because it is not going to happen. The Prime Minister has said it is not acceptable and therefore it will not be accepted. It might be enforceable in a court of law this contract, but it's not enforceable in the court of public opinion and that's where the Government steps in."

It looks like the law isn't going to allow his pension to be taken away. Rightly so. So New Labour's favourite hag wants to have the law changed on the grounds of "public opinion". Funny how this Darien government only pays attention to "public opinion" when it's convenient, isn't it? If public opinion was the criteria, the likes of Harman would be burnt at the stake - which is not a bad thing at all when you think about it.

Then again, what else can we expect from a government which took us into an illegal war on the basis of lies, killing hundreds of thousands of people whilst at it?
  • Options
    You have to remember that the pension he is due to receive is partly made up of the pension schemes that he transferred with from other companies, before he took the role with RBS. I don't know what that entitlement would be but the £650 000 isn't ENTIRELY made up with his RBS benefits. He should hand the RBS part back.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    He should hand the RBS part back.
    Why? He had a legally binding contract with the firm that said his pension would be a certain amount. When he left RBS, the Government knew full well what he was going to get and they went along with it. Not a peep was mentioned about it until last week, when someone decided to leak the details of his pension - possibly to distract from Lord Turner directly blaming the Prime Mentalist for the huge problems in our economy?

And do you have no objection to the government vindictively wanting to change the law simply to claw back money from ONE person? I do - and I think it's utterly disgusting.
  • Options
    Why? He had a legally binding contract with the firm that said his pension would be a certain amount. When he left RBS, the Government knew full well what he was going to get and they went along with it. Not a peep was mentioned about it until last week, when someone decided to leak the details of his pension - possibly to distract from Lord Turner directly blaming the Prime Mentalist for the huge problems in our economy?

And do you have no objection to the government vindictively wanting to change the law simply to claw back money from ONE person? I do - and I think it's utterly disgusting.

Just because the government fucked up the terms of the takeover, doesn't mean that the 'legal binding contract' is right. It's like saying that someone who gets a life sentence for something they didn't commit, should not be allowed to appeal because being found guilty was the decision at the time of the sentence and should stand.

The overpayment of his pension is more a fault of the governments than of the guy himself - but it doesn't mean its right.
  • Options
    Just because the government fucked up the terms of the takeover, doesn't mean that the 'legal binding contract' is right.
    So you think that breathtaking incompetence on the government's part is an acceptable reason to steal someone's pension money?
  • Options
    So you think that breathtaking incompetence on the government's part is an acceptable reason to steal someone's pension money?

So you think that the breathtaking incompetence of Sir Fred is acceptable to steal the RBS-accrued part of his pension?
  • Options
    So you think that the breathtaking incompetence of Sir Fred is acceptable to steal the RBS-accrued part of his pension?
    It was a legally-binding contract signed when RBS when a private company. The Government agreed to buy part of the bank last October, one of the conditions being that Goodwin left his job. The Government saw the contract and didn't say a word in protest about it at the time. Only now - when Jonah Brown is desperately trying to shore up the banks yet again - does the government suddenly develop a bout of faux pas outrage over the issue. If Goodwin "stole" this pension, the Government was more than happy to let him.

The City Minister's attempts in the House of Lords yesterday to claim that he didn't know how much money was involved are laughable. If his version of events is true - that he didn't bother to ask how much Goodwin was actually going to get in his pension - then the minister has been completely incompetent and should resign.

UPDATE: Dizzy Thinks explains it a lot better than I ever could.
  • Options
    This may certainly be the case - but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't deserve a pension off RBS, especially at the expense of the tax payer.
  • Options
    This may certainly be the case - but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't deserve a pension off RBS, especially at the expense of the tax payer.
    I said at the beginning he doesn't deserve a penny of it. If it were up to "the court of public opinion", (copyright 2009, Harriet Harperson) Goodwin would have been pelted with rotten fruit outside the Bank of England's Threadneedle Street HQ. But there is diddly squat the Government can do to deprive him of his pension - especially when said government actually waived it through themselves last October!
  • Options
    But if everyone was accountable to the court of public opinion (and not just the enemies of the state...):

- Blair would be in jail for war crimes
    - Brown would be in jail for raiding over £100bn from the UKs pension funds (Goodwin's sort of pales in comparison wouldn't it...)
    - Jacqui Smith would be in jail for fraud after claiming over £100k for her 'second home' which actually belongs to her sister
    - Prescott would have done time for assault

What Harman is effectively doing is trying to rush through legislation that would make a legally binding contract null and void, all in the name of 'justice'.
  • Options
    It was a legally-binding contract signed when RBS when a private company. The Government agreed to buy part of the bank last October, one of the conditions being that Goodwin left his job. The Government saw the contract and didn't say a word in protest about it at the time. Only now - when Jonah Brown is desperately trying to shore up the banks yet again - does the government suddenly develop a bout of faux pas outrage over the issue. If Goodwin "stole" this pension, the Government was more than happy to let him.

The City Minister's attempts in the House of Lords yesterday to claim that he didn't know how much money was involved are laughable. If his version of events is true - that he didn't bother to ask how much Goodwin was actually going to get in his pension - then the minister has been completely incompetent and should resign.

UPDATE: Dizzy Thinks explains it a lot better than I ever could.

I don't disagree with you on most of what you say, SG. But you used the words that the government should not be able to 'steal' his pension. In my view, Sir Fred has 'stolen' his pension because he must know he did not deserve a payout on the RBS pension. Obviously, it doesn't look like there is any legal avenue to claw any money back but it doesn't detract from the fact that Sir Fred is a bit of a low life.
  • Options
    What Harman is effectively doing is trying to rush through legislation that would make a legally binding contract null and void, all in the name of 'justice'.
    Hardbint was doing PMQs today with William Hague and I notice she didn't say anything about "the court of public opinion", funnily enough. As predicted, Hague made her look a complete and utter twat. Later, when asked by a Plaid Cymru MP about stripping away Goodwin's knighthood - the one that the gormless socially awkward twat we call our Prime Minister gave him - she claimed that "Sir Fred was nominated for a knighthood because of his services for the Prince's Trust".

Not true - he was knighted for services to banking. Lying to the House of Commons now, Harriet? Not good.