Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

from monday, it's illegal to photograph police officers

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I'm not aware of anyone in our force who has done this. No cop is going to go through the hassle of trying to identify someone on CCTV, find them, issue them a ticket just because they dropped some litter or rode a bike on a pavement.

Assaulting someone or stealing something then yes.

http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39164346,00.htm

Either way at it's most extreme littering is a criminal offense and at it's least it's anti social behavior.
    If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to worry about eh?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39164346,00.htm

Either way at it's most extreme littering is a criminal offense and at it's least it's anti social behavior.
    If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to worry about eh?

Littering is wrong, and I believe wrong enough to shame people into picking their litter up after them.

The UK is a mess, because people here have no pride. If this system makes them feel bad then good.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Littering is wrong, and I believe wrong enough to shame people into picking their litter up after them.

So you agree with the instalation of this camera in the cop shop?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Is a police kitchen a public place?
  • Options

I think it's a bit extreme, but then at my nick we can be trusted to tidy up after ourselves so I'm not really talking from experience. I'm sure if we were the sort of persons who did leave a mess like the one described we'd be pissed off too.

And Flashman, no it isn't.
  • Options
    Is a police kitchen a public place?

No, but I fail to see what difference it makes?
    I have far less problem with 'employers' using CCTV to protect their business, than the state using CCTV for all manner of different things.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm sure if we were the sort of persons who did leave a mess like the one described we'd be pissed off too.

There is the question of proportional response, and I don't think that this is one that any law enforcement agency has really properly dealt with. Just because of the presence of something undesirable (like untidy washing up), it doesn't automatically grant carte blanche to remedy it.

I think the question has to be; is the presence of dirty washing up enough to justify the imposition upon officers and the ill feelings it will obviously engender; more to the point, is it a proportional use of surveillance. I would argue not, on all counts.

I think this is a question that needs to be confronted on a wider scale in global law enforcement; the greatest example being the use of Tasers in America. They are used on people presenting no threatening behaviour, for 'non-compliance', which can also and frequently does mean, the frightened individual not doing something as fast as an officer wants them to (but obviously this is a separate debate).
  • Options
    I fail to see how it is possible to argue that any picture of a police officer would be of use to a terrorist.

Arguably, information about the position of police officers outside major London landmarks couple be of benefit - but how is a photograph any more useful than getting a map off Google Maps and marking on where they're standing with a pen? In fact, taking photos would need to be from quite some distance away to be of any use in working out positions, surely? At which point, how will the police know/care about them?

I'm convinced that the Government is being lobbied by some factions of the police to push through a series of laws designed to give officers the power of arrest whenever they feel like it.
  • Options
    Chemist, I quite agree. However the offence actually reads "attempts to elicit information which could be of use to terrorists".

Everyone assumes this only means photographs, but will also mean attempting to get home addresses, phone numbers, bank details, vehicle registrations e.t.c.

Whilst i think there should be laws like the above specifically preventing CRIMINALS from trying to obtain those details, I think making it a terrorist one is a bit pointless.

After all, if the PC/PCSO is on a safer neighbourhoods team like myself, they will have their picture and/or telephone number plastered all over the place anyway.
  • Options
    This country just likes banning things. It's not like we need freedom or privacy is it?
  • Options
    There is an obvious use in getting photos of Special Branch/surveillance teams
  • Options
    Well, yes. Frankly, people taking photos of Special Branch should be taken seriously. I don't have that much faith in the logic and fairness of the average plod though.
  • Options
    But then, most people wouldn't realise a cop was in Special Branch or counter surveillance anyway.....

They don't wear a different uniform after all.
  • Options
    The opposition, not being stupid, would probably be able to do it in the same way I would.

Hint - think Redwatch.
  • Options
    But Whowhere the reason people are worried is that officers, rank and file officers, have used anti-terror powers for non-terror offences.