Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Red hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've always like red hair but I'm not sure if I'd suit it or not.
I have blond hair, blue eyes and I'm quite pale and I'm just not sure if I'd look strange, I did go really dark brown once and it looked okay but just made me look a little washed out.
How easy is it to go back to blonde if I changed my mind?

I've attached a pic of me and a pic of the kind of colour I like, any help will be muchly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    How easy is it to go back to blonde if I changed my mind?

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult. Red hair colour is incredibly difficult to get out, especially on blonde hair
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult. Red hair colour is incredibly difficult to get out, especially on blonde hair
    :yes:.

I'm soooooo tempted to go back to red but it was such a bitch to get out. Even when I bleached my hair ten billion times (and totally destroyed it in the process) it still looked eversoslightly orange compared to my roots.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    :yes:.

I'm soooooo tempted to go back to red but it was such a bitch to get out. Even when I bleached my hair ten billion times (and totally destroyed it in the process) it still looked eversoslightly orange compared to my roots.

Oh god...I don't want orange hair :no:

It was a pain in the arse going from dark brown back to blonde...hm...I think I will have to have a good think about this :chin:
  • Options
    i think it would really suit you
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Oh god...I don't want orange hair :no:

It was a pain in the arse going from dark brown back to blonde...hm...I think I will have to have a good think about this :chin:

Its much harder to go back from red than it is from brown because the red pigments are a bitch to get out. Even on brown hair the red stays practically forever so you have no chance with blonde hair!
  • Options
    The only way my hair is not still that little bit orange now is because I dyed it darker after I went blonde (it wasn't working - my hair grows way fast). There is still a warm tinge to my hair even after quite a bit of brown dye.

HOWEVER I do think it would look good, and if you really really hate it, a hairdresser will be able to strip it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help :)

I'm going to have a good think about it. I definatly wouldn't be doing it myself I'd get it done at the hairdressers. The only thing I'm worried about is having to have it stripped again. When I got rid of the brown I had it stripped and not only did it cost me £150 but my hair was a bit knackered!
  • Options
    i think it would suit you.

however, i went from brown to red and now, im trying to go back to brown and all hair dyes are failing to make my hair brown. ive been trying to dye it back brown for about a month now and the red just wont shift! dont even want to imagine how long it would take to get rid if you have blonde hair!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

:yes:

HOWEVER, I think it'd look fab on you :thumb:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »

HOWEVER, I think it'd look fab on you :thumb:

I am so tempted to get it done now! Even my mum thinks it would look good and she would definatly tell me if she thought it would look crap!
  • Options
    i think it would suit you.

however, i went from brown to red and now, im trying to go back to brown and all hair dyes are failing to make my hair brown. ive been trying to dye it back brown for about a month now and the red just wont shift! dont even want to imagine how long it would take to get rid if you have blonde hair!
    It won't if you're trying to go back to your natural colour straight away, although it will make the regrowth less obvious. It might work better if you try and go darker than the colour you already have on it.
  • Options
    i think it'd look good. but echo what everyone else says. i was red for a while and its taken aaages to go to blonde. went via brown in the end but still have some orangey tinges. sigh.
  • Options
    im having this same dilemma! im blonde and i want to go red too but im too scared that if i dont like it it'll be too hard to go back. as all of these posts have confirmed hehe. i decided against it because i want to go briiiiiight red and a couple of my friends have done it and it fades SO quickly. they're dying it like every month and i dont think my hair would be able to take that, its not in the healthiest condition with all the straightening. so something to bear in mind!

however i do think it'd suit you :D
  • Options
    im having this same dilemma! im blonde and i want to go red too but im too scared that if i dont like it it'll be too hard to go back. as all of these posts have confirmed hehe. i decided against it because i want to go briiiiiight red and a couple of my friends have done it and it fades SO quickly. they're dying it like every month and i dont think my hair would be able to take that, its not in the healthiest condition with all the straightening. so something to bear in mind!

however i do think it'd suit you :D

This is why I don't want bright red due to the fading, but I know that even darker red will still fade (I've been having a little read around) but when I had dark hair it did fade but after getting it done a few times it didn't fade half as much.
    My hairs in really good condition atm, only due to loads of treatments and no blow drying and trying to let it dry naturaly and hardly using my straightners.
    I'm just sick of being blonde...no matter what blonde shampoos I use it always goes that brassy yellow colour and just looks dull and flat and the roots annoy the hell out of me.
    My hair is mousy brown naturally so the roots shouldn't be that bad! I'm just sick of the colour and the higlights always look the same :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! As soon as i saw the pic of you i was like OMG shes made for red hair!

If you really dont like it, go brown for a few months and take it from there.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! As soon as i saw the pic of you i was like OMG shes made for red hair!

If you really dont like it, go brown for a few months and take it from there.

True...tho I'm sure I'll love it ;)

Going to pop in the hairdressers tomorrow or thursday see what they say :yes:
  • Options

The best thing to do is dye it first with a permanent dye, and then top up monthly with semi-permanents. They won't damage your hair and they'll make it all lovely and shiiiny :)
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I think it'd look fab on you :thumb:

• Options
    Red looks good but it an utter bitch to maintain. I had red streaks out in last year and they had gone (not faded, gone) in less then two months. I have mousy hair and blonde lasts a lot longer on my hair.
  • Options
    I've had a red mousse on my hair twice when it was blonde and it was so vibrant. It was by Wella but they've stopped doing it :(
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I've had a red mousse on my hair twice when it was blonde and it was so vibrant. It was by Wella but they've stopped doing it :(

My brother tried to go from blonde to red by himself at uni once and it went pink! :lol: He had to wait a week before he could dye it black to cover it up.
  • Options
    OH MY GOD I JUST SAW THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, red does look gorgeous on most folk and I do agree it'd look muchos bitching on you but it's so difficult to come back to a blonde if you've dyed it red.

I dyed my hair back in April 2007 and I'm JUST back to a normal blonde now. It's not actually my real blonde hair colour but it's as good as it's going to get for the moment until it grows out.

I used the Herbal Essence Radiant Ruby permanent dye and had to dye it every three weeks, and my hair is thick so that was about two boxes. Each box cost about £6.

When I was skint I used the XXL wash in, wash out tube which was about £2.99 until payday. This was also once a month.

Not to mention how much it washed out when I washed my hair, there was never any clean water when I washed my hair, it was ALWAYS tinged red!

When I first dyed my hair it was down to about my elbows and the bottom half was highlighted blonde, the top was my normal dishwater blonde colour. I had to get it chopped off as the top was a nice red, the bottom a nasty ginger. That cost about £30 for a hair cut.

So for about a year I've been dyeing my hair red, which was probably about £300 spent on hairdye, and conditioners to upkeep the colour etc.

Come June/July this year I spotted this..With P+P it was costing like £50 to get it back to a decent colour.:-

http://www.folica.com/one__n_only_Col_r312_1.html

Which seemed like a god send. I had been to a hairdressers and was told it'd take professionally about 8 months to get my hair sorted and brought back to a decent colour of blonde costing about £300+ with regular bleaching/cuts/conditioning sessions etc. This Colorfix seemed PERFECT given the images of everyone else.

Got it home, put it on and it turned my hair two shades of orange, I thought this was okay because I could dye over it. Left it a few days and conditioned the hale out of it and then bought a Nice N' Easy ashy blonde to rid it of the brassy orange. IT TURNED OUT RED AGAIN. :impissed: Red some more of the reviews and it turned out this Colorfix shite just shrank the hair dye molecules on your hair, not removing them.

So I had to jump to the hair dressers locally and asked for help. Since September I've been getting my hair chopped in, RIGHT chopped in and I tried a hair lightener. Which worked for a bit but still turned it bright orange. My hair was in an AWFUL state, it soaked up any moisture. took forever to get the shampoo out of, so much so when I put hairspray on it when it was washed and I straightened it the hair spray made it straw-like and gave it a permanent brittle texture.

I had to get my hairdressers to bleach the fuck out of my hair which cost me £50 and about two weeks ago I put another ash blond hair dye and I'm back to a normal colour of blonde but my hair is still short.

So ends the memoirs of my blonde to red, red to yellow, yellow to ginger, ginger to blonde memoirs.

I URGE you if you do this, be kind to your hair and invest in as many hair masks, conditioners (Tigi Dumb Blonde Hair Reconstructer:heart:) that you can. Be patient and get a patient hairdresser, too.

I've spent probably about £400 at least on just my hair in the past year and a half. Don't make the same mistake and do it yourself, get it done professionally!

~fin~
  • Options
    Oh mai....thanks for the warning 1983!!

I know I would definatly never do it myself, I've never ever dyed my hair myself. I think I'm going to have a think about it for a little bit. Especially as much as I hate my blonde at the moment it is my natural colour and I am so used to it that, yep, I prob will want to go back to it in the end!

Just getting my hair stripped wrecked it and that took AGES to get it back to normal don't want to have to start again :no:
  • Options
    1983 - yeah, but baby, look at your pics with red hurr. HUBBA HUBBA!!!!!!! :heart:

just do it, its hair!! mine's been all the colours under the sun, i was black haired for ages, went through the painful process of stripping and getting back to blondey brown...then went and dyed it red :D currently reddy/purple, going honey blonde for summer, it'll take a few months but fack it! hehe.