Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hathida...

I think the article below speak for itself...

Article here...

But hey they were trying to help them so I guess we can not blame them...
Pathetic...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, $2,500 is a good price for dog hunting- that surely includes a premium for fresh baby flesh, though it is a bit steep compared to free fauna hunting licenses, wonder when they'll start being issued...
  • Options
    Although Iraqi civilians were killed which would support the belief that it was a comparative Mai Lai massacre, but the eye witnesses are all Iraqi people, who are most likely friends or relatives of the victims.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    subject13 wrote:
    Although Iraqi civilians were killed which would support the belief that it was a comparative Mai Lai massacre, but the eye witnesses are all Iraqi people, who are most likely friends or relatives of the victims.

I don't know weather to laugh or cry... what are you implying? That the Iraqi's did it themselves to imcriminate the US?

Yeah though... just goes to show ONCE MORE, as if we needed more Examples... don't use an Army as a police force. It doesn't work... they aren't trained for this job.

Sigh. How many more must die before the mistakes of the past are learnt?
  • Options
    If they did it themselves they did a good job as their was death certificates and everything, the familly must have had shit loads of friends the, even in the governemental administration and everything...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I don't know weather to laugh or cry... what are you implying? That the Iraqi's did it themselves to imcriminate the US?

Yeah though... just goes to show ONCE MORE, as if we needed more Examples... don't use an Army as a police force. It doesn't work... they aren't trained for this job.

Sigh. How many more must die before the mistakes of the past are learnt?

Actually what anyone who bothered to think about what i said with my reference to the Mai Lai massacre could have deduced with ease, is that i was saying much like that time in Vietnam we should wait for the final investigation report which will specify the Marines involved. It is unlikely the eye witness accounts are accurate given the circumstances when the reality was probably a small unit of marines acting renegade, not a whole squad on a genocide trip!
  • Options
    Perhaps you've forgotten then, subject, the farce that was the "official investigation result" of Mai Lai, wherein only one soldier, Lt. William Calley, was ever convicted and even then served only a morally insulting 3.5 years of house arrest (like a petty hooligan).

To suggest that any investigation by the very institution, in whose service the perpetrators are, of its own is any demonstration of due process of "the rule of law" is to suggest that we might as well begin allowing corporations to investigate themselves in all indictments of malfeasance. Better yet, let's let murderers, bank robbers, et al. right here at home investigate themselves and simply tell us their verdict of whether they are guilty of the crimes of which they stand accused.

Go back over the history of "official investigations" within the military and youll find a legacy of self-excusatory injustice to humanity.

Safe to say the eyewitness accounts of the Iraqis are more trustworthy than any official Pentagon spokesman's whitewashed proclamations. All the more in the present with the key policymaking and propaganda arms of the Pentagon firmly under the direction of hardline neo-con ideologues.
  • Options
    Well although the spokeperson wasnt there and also probably wasnt briefed as to all the facts to allow plauisble deniabilty surely is likely they are less informed then the iraqi eye witnesses, so i see no point in mentioning that at all.

But you forgot the follow up investigation and th emedi scrutiny associated with that after words. There are still journalistic forces other then america and britain at work that will not allow themselves ot be silenced and so will undoubetley push to avoid any whitewash in this matter.
  • Options
    Anyone see Murderball? I know this seems like a strange tangent but I'd just been reading some stuff on the massacre when I watched the movie.

At the end of the film they go to the American base used for rehabilitating wounded US soldiers and I was struck by the fact that so many of the faces of the now legless soldiers were, without meaning to patronising, children - I mean really young, really 'wouldn't get served at a bar' young.

This isn't meant in anyway to justify their behaviour or gloss over what happened but I can't help get angry at the way the military in the US fills its ranks with impressionable, unprepared young people, sends them to war, and then blames the individuals rather than their whole military operational ethos for what happens.

Even if an order isn't directly given that causes a massacre - these soldiers can only be behaving in a way that must have some, at least, implied level of support from higher up - properly trained soldiers don't suddenly out of the blue start killing children.

Even if it's because of allowing the same dehumanising attuitude (which many would say is the very nature of all out war) seen from the Indian wars, through the Pacific conflict, through Vietnam and now Iraq - people higher up should be held responsible for taking such young, such very young people, and teaching them how to kill without any proper time spent teaching them the ethics and boundaries required by a supposedly peacekeeping role.
  • Options
    I think you are Right Jim!

The soldiers in the world are trained to be soldiers, they are recruited young and unless they show skills for certain levels which require free thought they mostly are broken down and rebuilt in the uniform image of what a soldier is. Soldiers are suppose to fight and kill and win wars.

They are not trained for peacekeeping, that is something they shoul dbe trained in or what some soldiers are given special training in.

In short, the troops on the ground are not trained enough for peacekeeping, it is something learned from experience on the ground, usually at a cost over that time. Unless they are specially trained to be purely peacekeepers.

I havnt seen that film though sadly, but i have seen one that is very similar.