Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Media sales

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

I have an interview at a small magazine publishers tomorrow for basically ad sales. The guy said to me things are really tough at the moment and they are having a high turnover of people, however when I mentioned my degree in Journalism he offered me an interview straightaway.

He said the basic is around £300 pw and there's commission on top of that. His top earner gets around 6 figures a year but she's been doing it for ages.

Does this all sound a little too good to be true? Also, has anybody ever worked in ad sales before? I know you ring and liaise with clients, haggle over space, what the demographics are. I'm pretty good at the whole publication side but I've never really done major sales jobs before (thus why I'm slightly suspicious) and just a little telesales and door to door. What is actually involved? Thanks

P.S. He also said I can write for the magazines as well, this was one of the main pulls.

Comments

• Options
    six figures a year?! as in, £100,000 or more? think i must be misunderstanding you because id say that definitely is too good to be true!

£300 a week sounds fine though, works out at just over £14,000 i think.

i dont have experience in ad sales but do work for a (local) newspaper. it's very tough at the minute for our ads department, mainly because companies dont have the money to spend on ads. not sure what kind youd be selling but we get pretty much no property any more and very few other ads which obviously makes the papers tiny. they basically each have a section to work on - eg motors, property and yeah, just try and sell ads! they have regular clients etc so its not like they have to randomly call people but at the minute, it is hard work for them.

definitely a plus if you can write for the magazines but id make sure thats written in your contract because realistically if you're employed in the ad department you wont have much time to write i wouldnt have thought.
  • Options
    Do a search on the company, drag up the old registration papers. If it seems dodgy, then don't do it.
  • Options
    Well, it seems pretty legit. I have to say I've seen one of their publications on the news stands. The 6 figure salary thing is based on comission however and they have some major ad space in their publications.

I'll also make sure I get it written into my contract etc.

I mean it's totally plausible to make a bit of cash on comission etc, but it's just they gave me an interview so easily. I've been slogging my guts out for months and it just seems a little bit too simple. Though I have to say he kept going on and on about my "amazing" speaking voice. They were a real stickler about that in the advert so maybe they've just had a lot of wideboys and people with heavily accented English ringing up.
  • Options
    My best friend does it on a 26k basic, and makes a killing in bonuses too, for a small online publishing company, so there is money to be made. she also gets to travel to meet clients too, last week was in Paris, going to USA soon, so there are perks too! Go for it! It's what I will be doing whn I graduate...
  • Options
    Oooh. Well my basic isn't quite that high but ahh.

Yayyy! Start on Monday at 9:15. Woohoo!
  • Options
    Get in! Her basic wasn't that high in her first job but she's changed companies a couple of times and because she has experience, she's worth more- you can be too! She says it's really boring for a while when you first start, so just give it a good try before you make up your mind.
  • Options
    Well I have done the old charity call centre, street fundraising and door to door whatnot. I think anything I put my mind to has to be easier than that. I'm really excited about the products as well so fingers crossed I can make a good go of it :D
  • Options
    If he knows he knows nothing then surely he doesn't know that he knows nothing otherwise he would know not nothing but know that he knows nearly nothing except for knowing that he knows nearly nothing...