Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and the benefits system

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    I cook healthy food and cook to a higher standard than a lot of people. yet I was still very ill.

I admit, I've found this as well. Since having virtually no wheat in my diet, I've also felt much better.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    What certaionly doesn't bloody help is the attitude from the above poster that says "oh, if you're depressed, get off your arse, that'll cure it." Like fuck it will.

That's attitude is just as unhelpful as the "I'm depressed, it must be a chemical inbalance and so only AD's can help me" attitude.

Just have browse through the depression thread in health, some people advice has been simnply to go to the doctors and ask for AD's :crazyeyes And people still state this chemical inbalance theory as fact. What can be more unhelpful than telling a depressed person that there's nothing they can do about their illness other than take unprooven, addictive, mind altering drugs which carry dangerous side effects?

What is certain is that plenty of activity and good diet help battle a lot of depression. Nobody here has said that'll cure you depression, but it's undeniable it'll help, and at least it's not a treatement that carries dangerous side effects.

I have serious issues with the irresponsible over prescription of AD's. Got PMT have some anti depressants.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_7413000/7413543.stm
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Not every doctor will give out ADs. When I went to the doctor last year, he said he wasn't just going to give me them and tell me to see him in a month or so.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Not every doctor will give out ADs. When I went to the doctor last year, he said he wasn't just going to give me them and tell me to see him in a month or so.

Kudos to thhat man,

Unfortunatley it appears a lot of doctors arn't quite as responsible.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Kudos to thhat man,

Unfortunatley it appears a lot of doctors arn't quite as responsible.
    :yes:.

Every doctor I've seen has been like "have you been on x drug?" and I'm like, yes, I have, but it didn't help, so they prescribe me a higher dosage :yeees:.
  • Options

What is certain is that plenty of activity and good diet help battle a lot of depression. Nobody here has said that'll cure you depression, but it's undeniable it'll help, and at least it's not a treatement that carries dangerous side effects.

Yep. If you're depressed and doing fuck all, it's a viscious circle.
  • Options
    That's attitude is just as unhelpful as the "I'm depressed, it must be a chemical inbalance and so only AD's can help me" attitude.

*yawn*

Quote me a reputable peer-reviewed scientific study that says that ADs are "addictive mind-altering hallucinogenic drugs" please. I've asked this fuck knows how many times now and you still haven't- a quote from www.prozacismadebycunts.nu.tter doesn't count.

ADs are not a cure and anyone who thinks they are is a fool. But to turn round and say that a carrot and a nice long walk is more effective is, to be quite honest, moronic. Reputable peer-reviewed medical journals cast doubt about ADs for low-level depression but for moderate to severe depression ADs are proven to be more effective than placebo. Although, granted, I doubt the placebo was a cabbage pill.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we can save a fortune in mental health treatment just by taking severely depressed people to the market for some celery and a chat over a nice cup of camomile tea.
  • Options
    Quote me a reputable peer-reviewed scientific study that says that ADs are \"addictive mind-altering hallucinogenic drugs\" please.

Some neurologists have voiced serious concerns following their studies of SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) psychotropic medications which includes the fluorinated SSRI antidepressants such as Prozac.

These studies have shown an increase in violence whether in form of suicide or to others.

GSK (the manufacturers of Paxil) list \"hostile episodes\" as a possible side effect.
  • Options
    Quote me a reputable peer-reviewed scientific study that says that ADs are "addictive mind-altering hallucinogenic drugs" please. I've asked this fuck knows how many times now and you still haven't- a quote from www.prozacismadebycunts.nu.tter doesn't count.

Well by they're mind altering by design - they're meant to alter and boost chemicals in you brain by 100's of percent. And there's a wealth of information out there to show they're habit forming, addictive and can have serious consequences.
    ADs are not a cure and anyone who thinks they are is a fool. But to turn round and say that a carrot and a nice long walk is more effective is, to be quite honest, moronic.

Exercise and diet also boost level of serotonin, but without any of the negative side efftc SSRI's carry. There are studies which show that exercise is more effective than SSRI's.
    Whether they are or not, AD's carry dangerous side effects, exercise does not, so I fail to see how you can critise the advice about getting active and eating well?
    or moderate to severe depression ADs are proven to be more effective than placebo.

But not much more.
    The fact remains that studies undertaken by the manafacturers themselves show that if you've taken SSRI's and have felt an improovement, than it's most likely down to the placebo effect.
    But again I don't want to get into this argument about effectiveness again, because I can't be bothered with posting all those links to studies and reports I've already posted.

What is for certain is that SSRI's are over prescribed, potentially dangerous, and as yet unprooven.

QUOTE=Kermit;2163263]Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we can save a fortune in mental health treatment just by taking severely depressed people to the market for some celery and a chat over a nice cup of camomile tea.[/QUOTE]

Stop being a tit.
    What people need to do before taking SSRI's is to look at how changing their lifestyle might help aleviate depression. SSRI's should be the last resort, not the first line in treatment.
    I don't know how you can argue with that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Christ Almighty, there's a difference between supporting a depressed person into a more active lifestyle and telling them to get off their arse and stop moping about. There's a difference between guiding someone into eating healthily as part of a holistic treatment plan and telling someone that eating a bit of fruit will magically cure depression.

I agree with the OP's idea to guide mentally ill people into rehabilutation through exercise, but I don't agree with the idiotic tone taken by simon saying that if only you eat more carrots you won't get poorly.
  • Options
    but I don't agree with the idiotic tone taken by simon saying that if only you eat more carrots you won't get poorly.

Which of course he didn't say. Infact nobody's said anything of the sort.

Simon said that keeping/geting active and eating well may not be the cure but it certainly helps.

Now I don't think that's bad advice, there's certainly nothing to lose from it, there's no negative side effects from activity and good eating.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Which of course he didn't say. Infact nobody's said anything of the sort.

Simon said that keeping/geting active and eating well may not be the cure but it certainly helps.

Now I don't think that's bad advice, there's certainly nothing to lose from it, there's no negative side effects from activity and good eating.

thanks Skive yes your right I never said any such thing but then I've noticed most people here are a bit nuts (and that Kermit has a real temper) I suppose i had better specify too:

*I'm not a doctor and only offered my opinion and cannot take responsability for consequenzes that come from acting on my opinions*