Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Swimming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have finally finally finally taken up swimming again after a way too long break.
I know swimming has an overall effect, but does anyone know which techniques would be best to tone my stomach and upper arms?

Comments

• Options
    butterfly if you can manage it!

Otherwise front crawl while trying to keep your legs still, or breaststroke
  • Options
    actually keeping your legs still whilst doing the front crawl works your abs less, i know because i always forget to use my legs properly when swimming.

jacq - it's not so much to do with the stroke as it is with the intensity that you exercise, I used to swim 2+ hours at quite a steady pace but never saw real results, now I swim for 30 mins 2-3 times a week but vary the pace and the results are pretty amazing.
  • Options
    I don't know but I always do breast stroke as it's good to keep my face dry and not get my hair wet, but that's because I'm a wimp these days :blush:
  • Options
    actually keeping your legs still whilst doing the front crawl works your abs less, i know because i always forget to use my legs properly when swimming.

jacq - it's not so much to do with the stroke as it is with the intensity that you exercise, I used to swim 2+ hours at quite a steady pace but never saw real results, now I swim for 30 mins 2-3 times a week but vary the pace and the results are pretty amazing.

Yeah, I've started cutting down my time in the pool, and doing my lengths faster, every other day. So hopefully I'm on the right track.