Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

slim fast hunger shots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
any good?

do they work or are they a waste of money?

Comments

• Options
    That was something I was going to ask as well. Would be interested in the responses.
  • Options
    i can understand the theory, full of protein and fibre which help keep hunger at bay but realistically it could be completely useless.
  • Options
    Right, so it's claiming to be a 'smart little drink' designed to help you eat less between meals, ignoring the fact that it's perfectly ok to be eating every 2-3 hours. Rather than spending money on a tiny little bottle that has an ingredients list that resembles something you'd find in toxic waste (which I'll get onto in a sec), a person could spend their money on something more worthwhile like a tub of natural yoghurt with some raisins/seeds/nuts/honey thrown in.

They also contain acesulfame k (under the EU, known as E950) and sucralose (E number 955), so for all it's 'low in fat' talk, it's pretty packed with sweeteners, the long term effects of which are still not really known.

There are plenty of foods containing protein and fibre which cost significantly less per unit, and sound a damn sight tastier.
  • Options
    I think they would be good as a filler inbetween meals but I doubt they will fill you up like a meal would, for that I'd just have the meal replacement shakes.

My friends on slimfast and she's tried them and she says there quite nice.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Right, so it's claiming to be a 'smart little drink' designed to help you eat less between meals, ignoring the fact that it's perfectly ok to be eating every 2-3 hours. Rather than spending money on a tiny little bottle that has an ingredients list that resembles something you'd find in toxic waste (which I'll get onto in a sec), a person could spend their money on something more worthwhile like a tub of natural yoghurt with some raisins/seeds/nuts/honey thrown in.

They also contain acesulfame k (under the EU, known as E950) and sucralose (E number 955), so for all it's 'low in fat' talk, it's pretty packed with sweeteners, the long term effects of which are still not really known.

There are plenty of foods containing protein and fibre which cost significantly less per unit, and sound a damn sight tastier.
    :yes:
  • Options
    hmm, thanks.

i guess an apple would be better, for the same amount of calories
  • Options
    slightly related question: at work the other day my friend was drinking "Skinny water" which is supposed to stop you craving sweet things. It definitely had sucralose in it (no aspartame). Is this the same kind of stuff?
  • Options
    not really. ive had the skinny water before, probably better off just having fruit flavour mineral water.
    the hunger shot is like a little actimel/yakult type thing, and the protein and fibre is meant to help keep hunger at bay between meals. and its only 54 calories.

just a way for companies to make more money by targeting the one thing that a lot of people with fall for(me included!)
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    not really. ive had the skinny water before, probably better off just having fruit flavour mineral water.
    the hunger shot is like a little actimel/yakult type thing, and the protein and fibre is meant to help keep hunger at bay between meals. and its only 54 calories.

just a way for companies to make more money by targeting the one thing that a lot of people with fall for(me included!)

For 54 calories you could have a couple of bowls of strawberries... which sounds much more appealing to me :)
  • Options
    True. ive eaten so many starwberries already this year!!
  • Options
    I combat hunger by eating fruit... In fact, I think that a large portion of my shopping is fruit for snacks.

An apple will kill your cravings, or even better an orange.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    An apple will kill your cravings, or even better an orange.

I'm the opposite. Apples make me feel really hungry!
    Bananas are good though, followed by a coffee.
  • Options
    an apple often works for me, especially useful when you're in a ahurry or just plain old can't be arsed to make anything proper to eat.