Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

16 Year Old Alleges Rape on Youtube

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't really sure where to post this so I hope I don't get banned. A friend of mine showed me this video of this 16 year old girl posting a video on youtube about her being raped and the courts in Florida dropping the case against the 23 year old male defendant. It's kind of crazy but at the same time it's hard to figure out if it's real or not. If it is real and the girls allegations are true I hope she gets the justice she deserves. I've already started to see the video pop up on other video sites like the one below and I found this article about it on CNN.

View Video Below:
16yearold.jpg
16 Year Old Alleging Rape

Read Article Below:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/rape.online/index.html

Comments

• Options
    its sad that she feels like no oned helping her -im thinking that shes telling the truth as why would one make stuff up like that, and what would she get from it anyway..
  • Options
    Probably not the best way to say you've been raped, but like all accusations, it should be taken seriously. I think that Youtube should remove the video though, if it hasn't already. Rape victims are kept anonymous for a reason.
  • Options
    true, she should be taken seriously as that may make her suffer mentally, i think.. but i think she just feels frustrated and only knows the net as getting through to people..
  • Options
  • Options
    "Crystal and the man both said they had an ongoing sexual relationship"
    does not mean that she constented when being rapped :S
  • Options
    Politics and debate is probably the best place I think
  • Options
    Probably not the best way to say you've been raped, but like all accusations, it should be taken seriously. I think that Youtube should remove the video though, if it hasn't already. Rape victims are kept anonymous for a reason.

Rape victims don't have to stay anonymous if they don't want to though.
  • Options
    She's not even crying. It looks like she's just rubbed some stuff around her eyes that makes her eyes sting and is trying to talk at the same time. I don't know whether to believe it or not.
  • Options
    If it's true it's desperately sad. However, judging by the video and reading the corresponding CNN article, it doesn't ring true for me.
  • Options
    I don't believe it :/

"I live in poverty" ? :s with a PC and webcam??

Obviously we don't know the details so it would be foolish to judge on way or another... but there's something about it that makes me think she's just bitter or something to her ex not because he raped her but because they split up i.e. she admitted on the CNN article that they were having a consensual relationship, it went to court because she was 15 but the judge threw it out because she was only a month away from 16, she says in the video how she thought he cared about her etc... it sounds more like someone who has been dumped than someone has been raped.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfg3w11_A_E

Her own words:

"The state att. office wont file charges because I was ALMOST 16......
    Rape is 15 in the state of fl not ALMOST 16 is ok. PLEASE HELP ME,AND OTHERS LIKE ME BY SIMPLY MAKING THESE PHONE CALLS ASKING WHY THEY WONT HELP."

By rape I think she is saying what we understand here as underage sex, vs non consensual sex. Otherwise why would the age make a difference, nonconsensual sex is nonconsensual at 15 or 16.

My speculation, they split up, she had sour grapes, tried to get him sent down as she was only 15 when they were sleeping together. Police take it to court, judge throws it out because she was very nearly 16. I.e. there is a difference from it being an 11 year old and a 15 and 11 month year old, you can argue the second has more ability to give consent.
  • Options
    actually that is true i dont think shes living in poverty as she has a pc etc..
    but i think even if she did have consentual sex with this man its still not right to say its ok she was nearly 16 so we will not file a rape charge.. as under age sex is still rape the last time i checked...
  • Options
    sweet_gal wrote: »
    actually that is true i dont think shes living in poverty as she has a pc etc..
    but i think even if she did have consentual sex with this man its still not right to say its ok she was nearly 16 so we will not file a rape charge.. as under age sex is still rape the last time i checked...

Not in the UK, in America it's statutory rape (i.e. no consent was given because if you're under 16 then you are unable to give 16). In the UK we have a different set of laws to look into it. It seems the district attorney or whatever decided that it being a relatively small infringement (i.e. 1 month in it) to let it go.

I think there should be a seperation between rape and underage sex because rape is explicitly where there is no consent, if you're underage you can give consent even if that is not informed consent. But you can easily argue there is not much difference between 15 and 6 months and 16 years, and young people seem aware of themselves and what they want at that age at least in the UK and the laws reflect that.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I hope it isn't real - and first impressions indicate to me it isn't. But in other ways I hope it is true because if it is bullshit it's far from helpful to those that really are victims.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I hope it isn't real - and first impressions indicate to me it isn't. But in other ways I hope it is true because if it is bullshit it's far from helpful to those that really are victims.

It is real and it is sad, but not because she was raped. She's obviously genuinely upset, on another board where people have far too much time on their hands they actually hunted down the case number and looked into it and found out that what had happened is she was having a consensual relationship, her dad found out, she then said it was rape - even though there were plenty of affectionate photos she had put up on her own myspace page.

Obviously she's upset for a number of reasons but I don't think it's the same as rape at all and she's just not wanting to own up to her own responsibilities and has chosen an extremely bad outlet in youtube in trying to get attention. Of course, there's always the chance I'm completely wrong in which case I'll eat my hat.

I give people the benefit of the doubt to the faces obviously but from lurking on the internet for so many years people will say all sorts to get attention. Hell, she even made a myspace poll about it (relating to it being statutory rape vs non consensual rape) trying to drum up support.

There are plenty of outlets there for victims of rape, I can't imagine why she would want to broadcast it to the world unless she did want attention and looking at several factors it seems to tally up (playing the woe is me card). Again, I'm making this up from behind a computer screen and think the police should take her seriously but if you post it on the internet for all to see you're going to have people making their minds up one way or the other and frankly I think yes she's upset but no I don't think she's been raped she is just hiding behind that because she got busted by her dad having a relationship with a 23 year old.

I also read some pretty harrowing statistics about reported rapes but that's a different thread.