Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Global warming causes mental illness

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    So the reason why everybodys depressed and on prozac nowadays is the global warming?

I reckon it's because drugs are illegal. Imagine how destressed everyone would be if they weren't.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I reckon it's because drugs are illegal. Imagine how destressed everyone would be if they weren't.

That's right, the cure for depression and mental ilness lies with mind altering drugs. :)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Suggestions that solar activity is in anyway responsible for climate change have been long discredited as nonsense. Just the other day yet another conclusive study was released: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7327393.stm

Put it this way: there is probably about as much evidence to prove climate change is man made to a significant degree as to whether the Earth is a sphere. That doesn't stop some people still claiming the Earth is flat, just as some claim there is no such thing as man made global warming.

Only I reckon most of the latter do suspect deep down that they are wrong- only they pretend otherwise because it is an issue that affect them directly and goes against their beliefs and ways.

The earth isn't actually a sphere, it's a spheroid!

Mmmm spheroids.

But the WHO has long said the biggest epidemic in the world is depression, it's either 1 in 10 or 1 in 5 who suffer from it (go to WHO's website). Out of 6,000,000,000 people, that's 600 million at the low end of the estimate who are depressed. That's America, plus the UK, plus France, plus Germany (I think, roughly).

Pretty worrying stuff.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But the WHO has long said the biggest epidemic in the world is depression, it's either 1 in 10 or 1 in 5 who suffer from it (go to WHO's website). Out of 6,000,000,000 people, that's 600 million at the low end of the estimate who are depressed. That's America, plus the UK, plus France, plus Germany (I think, roughly).

Pretty worrying stuff.

Yet when I've suggested on here before that depression has increased ten fold since 1945 people tell me it's only because it's more widely recognised and diagnosed.

If it has indeed increased ten fold, then it's far less likely to do with the Chemical Inbalance everybody loves to tout on here (human chemistry doesn't change that fast), and more likely due to other outside factors.

It certain seems to make sense to me that the weather, along with diet, increased stress levels, lack of clean air, countyside and fitness are the most likely causes of increased mental health issues.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't know what causes it to be honest, but it does effect a lot of people. Just checked out the WHO website, http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/definition/en/ - their official figure is 121 million, much less than my prediction :blush: but still a very significant amount. They work out somehow that it is the second most damaging disease not only in terms of ending life but in reducing the quality / damaging to society.

The weather is literally depressing...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    They work out somehow that it is the second most damaging disease

Except that it isn't. A disease is primarily a biological disorder and depression isn't - it's a mental disorder..

That's not to say it isn't a very serious condition or that a lot of people don't suffer from it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Except that it isn't. A disease is primarily a biological disorder and depression isn't - it's a mental disorder..

That's not to say it isn't a very serious condition or that a lot of people don't suffer from it.

Well, DALY as they put it:
    Depression is the leading cause of disability as measured by YLDs and the 4th leading contributor to the global burden of disease (DALYs) in 2000. By the year 2020, depression is projected to reach 2nd place of the ranking of DALYs calcuated for all ages, both sexes. Today, depression is already the 2nd cause of DALYs in the age category 15-44 years for both sexes combined.

YLDs = Years Lived with Disability

DALYs = Disability Adjusted Life Years
    The sum of years of potential life lost due to premature
    mortality and the years of productive life lost due to disability.
  • Options
    Well it all comes back to whether or not you think depression is casued by a chemical inbalance in the brain - if that were the case then yes it coudl be considered a disease. As it stands the evidence for that is rather patchy.

Of course the fact that depression seems to be increasing massively is a useful argument to show that it isn't infact a disease. Human chemisrty doesn't change that fast without outside fctor coming into it.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/what-is-depression-if-not-a-mental-illness/
    Depression is a Mental Disorder, not a Disease

While psychiatric medications and their resulting television commercials in the 1990?s and this decade have done much to help people seek treatment for a mental disorder like depression, they haven?t done much to help people understand the complexities of things like ?depression? and ?bipolar disorder.? These things are called disorders, not diseases, for a reason. A disorder simply means something that is out of the ordinary, which depression and other mental disorders are. They are more specifically a cluster of symptoms that research has shown to correlate highly with a specific emotional state.

A medical disease, on the other hand, according to Webster?s, is

a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms

Diseases are manifestations of a problem with some physical organ or component within the body. And while the brain is also an organ, it is one of the least understood and easily the most complex organ within the body. Researchers and doctors refer to a diseased organ when something is clearly wrong with it (via a CAT scan or X-ray or laboratory test). But with our brains, we have no test to say, ?Hey, there?s something clearly wrong here!?

One could make the argument, as many have, that because brain scans show abnormalities in certain biochemical levels within the brain when they suffer from depression or the like, this ?proves? that depression is a disease. Unfortunately, research hasn?t gotten quite that far yet. The brain scans show us something, that much is true. But whether the scans show the cause or the result of depression has yet to be determined. And more tellingly, there is a body of research that shows similar changes in brain neurochemistry when people are doing all sorts of activities (such as reading, playing a video game, etc.).
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you have time and the patience read this.
    http://www.math.missouri.edu/~rich/psych/breggin.txt
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A view from Mind -

What causes depression?

There's no one cause of depression; it varies very much from person to person and can happen for a combination of factors. Although depression, as such, doesn't seem to be inherited through the genes (with the possible exception of manic depression), some of us are more prone to depression than others. This could be because of the way we're made, or because of our experiences or family background.

Past experiences can have a profound effect on how we feel about ourselves in the present, and if those feelings are very negative, they can be the start of a downward spiral. In many cases, the first time someone becomes depressed, it's triggered by an unwelcome or traumatic event, such as being sacked, divorced, physically attacked or raped.

Depression is seen by some experts as a form of unfinished mourning. Often events or experiences that trigger depression can also be seen as a loss of some kind. It could be following the actual death of someone close, a major life change (such as moving house or changing jobs) or simply moving from one phase of life into another, as we reach retirement or our childen leave home. It?s not just the negative experience that causes the depression, but how we deal with it. If the feelings provoked are not expressed or explored at the time, they fester and contribute towards depression. It's important to acknowledge and grieve over what we have lost in order to be able to move on successfully.

Depression may also be caused by an underactive thyroid. The thyroid gland controls metabolic rate and, if it is not working properly, can cause you to experience various symptoms. If it is underactive, you will feel sluggish and lethargic, may put on weight, and feel depressed. If it is overactive, you may feel very speeded up, lose weight and have symptoms similar to mania. It is important to have a thyroid function test (a simple blood test) to make sure that this is not the cause of your depression, especially if you cannot account for it in other ways, such as recent life events. If an underactive thyroid is diagnosed, it can be treated successfully with appropriate medication. (See Useful websites.)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that occasionally people become very depressed in response to certain foods. Such a reaction is very individual, and people are often not aware of the particular food substance or drink that is causing the problem. But if you suddenly feel depressed for no apparent reason, it may be worth considering whether you have eaten or drunk something new, and whether this might have caused your sudden change of mood. If this is the cause, your mood should lift very quickly, so long as you don?t consume any more of the particular item. (See The Mind guide to food and mood.)

Poor diet, lack of physical fitness, and illnesses, such as flu, can all leave us feeling depressed. Frequent use of some recreational drugs can also play a part. (For more information, see Understanding the psychological effects of street drugs.)

It's clear that people who are depressed show changes to the chemical messengers (called neurotransmitters) in the brain. It's less clear whether this is a cause or a result of the depression.
  • Options
    i think global warming does contribute towards depression, its another thing on a big long list of bad things that will kill you if you dont take notice of the government, first it was coffee when pregnant, then it was the oils in the fish, then it was this and that, now its global warming.

I think id actually be dead if i followed every bit of govt advice on food!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    i think global warming does contribute towards depression, its another thing on a big long list of bad things that will kill you if you dont take notice of the government, first it was coffee when pregnant, then it was the oils in the fish, then it was this and that, now its global warming.

I think id actually be dead if i followed every bit of govt advice on food!
    I see a lot of truth in this Mr G ...terrorism no job security ...no family security ...even small children are starting out in life knowing ...theres a good chance their family will break upp ...the weather is becoming as threatening as terrorism ...the future is so uncertain in so many ways ...i'm glad i'm the age i am. I feel for todays youngsters in such an uncertain world.