Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Employment agencies - bag o'shite

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not normally one to rant but I've got to let rip with this one.

I simply despise my job. I won't go in to the reasons why but I've been looking around for new work and have been looking at some employment agencies.

I first went to Reed. I saw plenty of jobs in their window which I could see I was qualified for, and some said 'urgent'. I went in and registered.

After the sign-up procedure I was told they'd contact me as soon as they matched me up with something. 2 days later I'd heard nothing so called them up. Spoke to a woman who said it was "quiet this time of year" but would let me know if anything came in. When I pointed out the jobs they had in the window (especially the urgent ones) she told me "well the client hasn't told us when they need someone to start so for now we're just compiling a list of people ready for when they want someone".

I then asked why these jobs were considered 'urgent' to which she was rather evasive. Anyway that was 3 weeks ago and I've still heard nothing.

I then went on to Manpower. I told the receptionist I was desperate for work as soon as possible and could they help. She made an appointment for me to register. I came back for it and she took my details and told me they'd be in touch. I asked if they had anything and she also said "it's quiet this time of year". When I asked about they jobs they were advertising in the window she said "some of them don't actually exist - we have to sign up certain numbers of people from particular sectors per month". When I asked if that was legal she became quite defensive and said if anyone complains they'll just take the adverts down.

I then asked her if it's quiet "this time of year" then when was the busy period? She replied "It's hard to say, it can be any time".

I signed up with another 2 agencies, both of whom gave me the "it's quiet this time of year" line yet neither bothered to tell me this before I gave them my details, thereby potentially saving me time and hassle.

Finally I signed up with an agency yesterday called Jennifer Griffiths Recruitment. I spoke to the lady dealing with my sector and asked her if it was "quiet this time of year" as I didn't want to waste her time or mine. "No" she said "it's really busy right now, things are coming in all the time".

I was pretty much surprised at this (considering what all the others had said) so I signed up with them and she said she'd be in touch. I phoned them today and asked her what was on offer and she said "It's funny because nothing has come in at all".

I mentioned how odd it was that "things were coming in all the time" before I signed with them, and now I was on their books it had all dried up.

She then said "no need for you to ring us, as soon as something comes in, we'll be in touch".

What a load of bollocks. I'd much rather them be honest and say "we need x amount of people to sign up, and if you aren't what we're looking for we'll just keep you hanging on".

Comments

• Options
    The only thing you need to understand about recruitment consultants- is there all a bunch of lying bastards.

Most jobs in the window don't exist, its all a ploy to get you in and on their books.

I refuse to use recruitment agencies. Try looking for jobs on totaljobs etc try avoiding the recruitment agencies and apply direct to companies.
  • Options
    I don't know, I love agencies. I've gotten my last half a dozen jobs there. Been with 4 different agencies now thru the years. I've never been out of work for more than a week while looking, and that was only because it was the holidays and the end of the year so nobody was around or hiring. 90% of the time I would have a job in the next day or two. You don't have to do interviews or fill out applications and if a job pays too little you don't have to go, if the job sucks you never have to go back. I've yet to experience anything bad.
  • Options
    Agencies are a waste of time. I've seen the "urgent" jobs available and signed up with them, but I've only ever heard from any agency once and I'd already told them I was unavailable at that point :rolleyes:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My experience of agencies is that you need to chase them up. If you do that, they work well. I got my current job through an agency, t'hubby has had all his through agencies and my brother is currently working through one. Chase them up - phone them every couple of days and pester them.
  • Options
    I tried pestering them - they just increasingly enforce the "no need to call us, as soon as something comes in we'll call you" line.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I tried pestering them - they just increasingly enforce the "no need to call us, as soon as something comes in we'll call you" line.

And? I would still call. On a Monday morning, then again on a Thursday. Monday as it is the beginning of the week - new jobs may've come in and a Thursday as there may be something for the start of next week.

If you don't phone then they will forget about you. Make yourself known to them.
  • Options
    Mine arn't amazing, took quite a while to get me a job after a few false starts. Can never get hold of my consultant either. The department I work for is being closed down this year and we know more about the goings on from the perment staff rather then the agency.

Another one is still trying to get my to sign up (I applied for a job through them on the reed website) and they wont take "no, bugger off" for an answer.
  • Options
    it does depend on the agency. many are useless. I've recently been with Katie Bard/AM Legal (same thing), and they have been great and got me constant work since October. While other agencies I went to didn't even get back to me.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with agencies who cannot find me work - you can't win them all.

What I do object to are the ones who say nothing about it being 'quiet this time of year' when you sign up, or have plenty of vacancies in the window yet offer you none of them once you're on their books.
  • Options
    That's just a Reed thing to be quite honest, I've used them in the past and the staff have always been lazy fucks. My mum is having the same problems with Reed Education in a different city so I think it must be a company issue.

The smaller agencies are better. There's one in Newcastle I always used to use and because I always used them I got some good jobs through them. You do have to pester though, things don't fall in your lap.
  • Options
    Do you live in Bridgend?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The smaller agencies are better. There's one in Newcastle I always used to use and because I always used them I got some good jobs through them. You do have to pester though, things don't fall in your lap.

Yep, I'm with a small local agency and I highly recommend them to anyone round here. Walked in, rang me with a job the same day. Absolutely wonderful to work for, never any problems, when I had some problems with my job and was really loathing it they took the time to listen and talk to me which I really appreciate. I've been in the same role since I started with them, but thats still more roles than Reed found me in a couple of years :thumb:
  • Options
    I've always used job agencies to find work during uni holidays and so on and never had any probs. I remember the 1st year things were a bit quiet, but once I'd had 1 job throuh them and proved I was a hard worked and could be trusted jobs came my way easily.

The trouble with signing up to agencies is that they have their old staff, who are higher priorities to get into work because they know what they're dealing with. As a new person on the books you do need to be phoning a couple of times a week, to ensure they remember you, get fed up of speaking to you and so decide to prioritise you over someone they've had there ages. It's all about showing commitment and desire to them.

But yep most of the jobs in their windows are fake....you'll find the exact same adverts still there in 12 months time! But unless you register there's not a chance they'll find you work, so even if they have nothing currently it's still worth registering with them.
  • Options
    I used to work for an agency and this time of the year is quite. it also depends what experience u have aswell as what sector of work you work in.

e.g if you want to get into an IT job its really hard as everyone want to work in this sector so the agencies and companies have the pick of the bunch of the best people with experience or qualifications etc especially as a client has to pay a fee for you which are lots of pounds ££££.

The best bet is to sign up to the different websites and to look on the jobs newspaper and also be pro active and to write to comapnies who you would like to work for.

Thats how i got my current job as head of recruitment for a company, i phoned them and then wrote to them. they said they didnt have anything but would keep my cv on file and would contact me if something came up.

p.s remember this time of year is one of the worst times to look for a job as lots of people leave their jobs or plan to leave their jobs in the new year they just wait for xmas to be over so there is alot more people to compete against for jobs.

Good Luck though something will come up:thumb:
  • Options
    They're just full of shit!! I am fucking livid!!

I went on one of the agency websites this morning and saw 3 jobs I'd be ideal for (I have 11 years' experience in this field) so I emailed them at 9am, applying for all 3.

By 11am I'd heard nothing which I guess is understandable if they're busy so I called them as a follow up to my application and was told all 3 positions had been filled. I asked why nobody had called me about them (when I registered with them I was told "don't worry, if anything comes in we'll call you straight away") the lady said "We can only call so many people, we have so many people on our books".

I couldn't fucking believe it! That may well be true, but in which case they should not have told me they'd call me if something came in! What they should have said was "If something comes in we'll call you if your name is near the top of the list".

But no, they'd rather this "Yes we have no banana" attitude. Why can't they just be honest?

Apologies to everyone for the language but I can't stand corporate bullshit.
  • Options
    A medium sized temping agency in a medium sized town will probably have a thousand people on their books. Of course they're not going to ring you all the time for every single vacancy.

It's up to you to do the donkey work just as you would with any other job. The temping agency make money by providing staff to companies; they don't make money by ringing round after their employees just to stop them whingeing.

If you are someone they know and trust you'll get told about things, but you have to become someone they know and trust. They have regular employees sent out because they know they can trust those employees. I was one of those regular employees in the temping agency I used to use, so I did get calls pretty much constantly.
  • Options
    When I was 16 I just left school and was starting college in the September so thought I'd join an agency! I went with one and they was like "yeah we will get you loads of work..... but your 16 so that might be a problem":rolleyes: Week later I joined another one and about two days later I got work, it lasted me for the whole summer and it was the best job, yeah it was factory work, but I had some right laughes, and the money was fab!

They still ring me up now asking if I need work.:thumb:
  • Options
    A medium sized temping agency in a medium sized town will probably have a thousand people on their books. Of course they're not going to ring you all the time for every single vacancy.

In understand that totally, and don't have a problem with it. However what I do have a problem with is them saying they'll call me when they clearly don't intend to stick to that offer.
  • Options
    If you don't like Agencies then i suggest you don't vote labour next election because they want to privitize the civil service and outsource work which will mean you're dealign with profit making companies, not a service that wants you back into work.

They want to privatise the WHOLE civil service? Where did this come from?
  • Options
    Agencies are a load of bollocks, they are a monetized company and so they care only about profit, not about getting people in to work.

How do you think they make money?

Hint: they make money by filling vacancies for companies.

The common misconception is that temping agencies work for employees. They don't. They work for, and are paid by, employers looking for temporary staff. Employers pay the temping agency to do everything for them- HR, admin, tax- and the temping agency make a profit on that.

Temping agencies have no responsibility to jobseekers, and why should they?

They don't want to privatise the civil service but some areas of the civil service are being outsourced or staff transferred to arms-length agencies, particularly the replacement for the CSA. Some companies have got some big fat Government contracts, like Siemens, and that's a problem. Staffing levels are being cut by the Government, pay is being cut, which is why HMRC tax credit department and the DWP seem to be staffed almost entirely by knuckleheads now.
  • Options
    Exactly my point, they have no interest in getting people back to work, there is no thought to the individual.

They have every interest in getting someone into a position. If they don't have interest they don't make money, its not rocket science.

If private companies take on jobseeking advice roles they'll get people into work otherwise they won't make money.

I agree that its very impersonal but that's not why temping agencies exist. Although a good temping agency will treat good staff well because good staff are hard to find.
    I'm sure if you were stood here next to the 150 employees who do an excellent job day in and day out in our centre you would understand how silly your comment about us being "knuckleheads" is.

My view is skewed because I only ever get to deal with DWP fuck-ups, but the fact that business is booming in my line of work (welfare benefits advice) and decisions are getting more random doesn't fill me with optimism about the quality of decision making in the DWP.

As for the HMRC tax credits people, they honestly couldn't run a bath. I don't think its personal incompetence, its more systemic than that, but HMRC are awful.
  • Options
    Most managers are shit, tbh.

• Options

Temping agencies have no responsibility to jobseekers, and why should they?

Now we're getting somewhere :)

I honestly have no problems with agencies not having any responsibility towards those looking for jobs. What I do have an issue with is when they pretend that they do. It's naive of me to expect an employment agency to be publically honest about their practises but I'll still make my stand against them.

Anyway I don't need to be bothered with them now - I've now been offered, and accepted, a job without their (lack of) help :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Getting a job is easy. Getting a job that suits you is not.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I have found agencies are pretty helpful in the job department, but I think it also depends where you are. I'm in Leeds, and with 3 large universities in the city, there are lots of students who don't work, cos mum and dad pay, and still the city needs workers! In fact I've had agencies ring me too much!!

For me they are practical employment because I don't mind what I do... call center/general paperwork assistant/tea maker etc and they pay weekly, which is a must for me.

I think that if you check out the agencie's website before signing up, you can get a much more accurate idea of what jobs they have available rather than looking in the window, as long as you accept that you may not be one of the people they call for the jobs advertised on-line.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I think as I've found out its all about finding the right agency who are prepared to help you rather than just take your CV and file it in the bin.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Getting a job is easy. Getting a job that suits you is not.

So true, life gets in the way.
  • Options
    I know that to advertise jobs which don't exist is illegal - and one of the agencies who regularly fed me BS is is now openly telling people that some of the jobs in their window are there to entice people in.

Who do I report them to?
  • Options
    Well, some good news for those who get annoyed by ringing Jobseekerdirect about a job only to find it's an agency.

New policy has come into play meaning each vacancy advertised bny Jobcentreplus that is placed by an agency has to have a mandatory tatement explaining on the job description that the vacancy is run by an agency.

I have loved the past few days telling agencies they have to have this statement on the vacancies from now on. They are not happy! :D
  • Options
    Mine were great, got me a job within 2 hours of signing up.