Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cannabis laws

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its bad news for 'democracy' ...when the prime minister can ask for a scientific reviewof such a thing and when he doesn't get the result he wanted ...tell us all to fuck off he's going to ignore the truth.
    He's just following exactly the same trick that his predecessor played on us for years - for example, commissioning enquiries into whether Britain should build more nuclear stations, when Blair had already decided years before that we should do. Charles Clarke recently said in an interview that Brown was "tormented by Tony Blair". In this case, it looks more like he's paying him the ultimate compliment.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    He's just following exactly the same trick that his predecessor played on us for years - for example, commissioning enquiries into whether Britain should build more nuclear stations, when Blair had already decided years before that we should do. Charles Clarke recently said in an interview that Brown was "tormented by Tony Blair". In this case, it looks more like he's paying him the ultimate compliment.
    I AgreE Star ...absolute bollox.
    As for the cannabis thing way back in 1968 if i remember right ...the Wooton report was published ...a very indepth study on cannabis ...ordered by the government of the day. The result ...they could see no reason why anyone should be treated as a criminal for posessing it ...the law did more harm than the drug ...the punishment meted out often did even greater harm to the individual and his family. The penalties for posessing and for supplying ...should be lessened....what did the government do ...imediately upped the penalties.
    Behind all this at the time was the usual drug companies plus the tobacco companies and the distillers and brewers ...along with the mighty petro chemical interests. The baccy companies soon after ...actualy started designing packaging and brand names for the inevitable legalisation ...which turned out not to be inevitable at all.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Most of what's been said so far can be summed up in the words "Gordon Brown is cynical, dithering opportunist".

Which is correct, but is that news to anyone?

I think that you could apply that to most politicians really, not just Gordon Brown - even though you seem to have a hard on for him or something :p

There are very few politicians who would accept being portrayed as "soft on drugs" because they think that it would lose them votes. It has to be said at the moement they are right because there is so much misinformation and prejudice towards the subject - especially in the media. If there was a truly informed debate then I have no doubt that the vast majority of people would come to the conclusion that cannabis offers no greater risk to our nation than alochol does already.

I have never touched it, and have no intention of doing so. It doesn't appeal to me but then I rarely drink to excess these days either. I just don't need that to have a good time and I feel sorry for people who think that they do. However, that doesn't mean that I cannot look at this subject objectively.

As an aside, I think that it should be madatory for all musicians. The greatest songs in histroy were written by people off their heads on a illegal substances, you only have to look at the music of people like The Who, The Beatles and the Stones to see that. The opposing side to that would have you looking at Westlife, Sir Cliff etc... kind of speaks for itself really.
  • Options
    The opposing side to that would have you looking at Westlife, Sir Cliff etc... kind of speaks for itself really.
    :D My family are always quick to remind me that i've always been more Kieth Richards than Cliff Richards ...not always in a complimentary way.
  • Options
    Cynical to the max, some acknowledgement would help most countries
  • Options
    Virus wrote: »
    Cynical to the max, some acknowledgement would help most countries

Whaaa?
  • Options
    Whaaa?

I was in agreement with stargalaxy.

yessssss :yes:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    What is interesting is the way cannabis is treated differently to Khat.

"Khat is not a controlled substance in the United Kingdom, and recent attempts to reclassify it were rejected.[29] Because of this, and because of khat's short shelf life, the UK serves as a main gateway for khat being sent by air to North America.[30]

Khat is used by members of the Somali and Yemeni community (mainly men), which is concentrated in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Manchester and Sheffield. It is currently legal, although there are calls from some sections of the Somali community for it to be banned. In the UK, cathine and cathinone are Class C drugs. The plant Catha edulis is uncontrolled."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat#United_Kingdom

Where is the media outcry from the Daily Mail, surely its not being ignored due to it being a Somali only thing? :chin:
    Khat is not a multi billion pound product which has so many medical uses that it poses any threat to the petro chemical drug companies ...so no one is realy interested. If it was shown that khat was killing maiming or sending insane ...a few somalis ...it still wouldn't be of interest to anyone in power ...cos it aint threatening them. A few Somali people in a comunity campaigning to change the situation ...might eventualy change the situation.
    If khat can be shown to be of use medicaly in a huge range of situations ...it will be made illegal.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Fair point - I should have asked 'would you support...'. I was trying to make the point that there will always be a black market trade in drugs unless the government supplies it to people for free.

But the fact that alcohol and smoking, for example, are legal is why so many more people die from those two than from drugs. There would be greater use if drugs were legalised and more suffering as a result.
    Cannabis doesn't kill people.
    How much black market beer is there round your way?
  • Options
    Khat is not a multi billion pound product which has so many medical uses that it poses any threat to the petro chemical drug companies ...so no one is realy interested. If it was shown that khat was killing maiming or sending insane ...a few somalis ...it still wouldn't be of interest to anyone in power ...cos it aint threatening them. A few Somali people in a comunity campaigning to change the situation ...might eventualy change the situation.
    If khat can be shown to be of use medicaly in a huge range of situations ...it will be made illegal.

Khat has very limited medical use, if any. Its effectively just a different form of ephadrine.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think that pot is opften looked upon as the sotest of illegal drugs when In my experience it certianly is not. It fucked my head up, it fucked a ot of my mates haeds up. yet i don't think the it being a calss b or even a clas c is goign to make any difference whatsoever,

The law means fuck all, If somebody gogi8n to do somethin they'll do it. It's attitudes that need to cahnge not laws.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The assylums are not overflowing with the victims of reefer madness!
    And the fact cannabis is not for everyone ...should mean the law protects people more by doing something about the problems that occur in society through such free use of such powerful substances. How the hell can it be right that criminals and terrorists handle these poweful substances ...medicines ...hallucinagens ...opiates ...stimulants?
    The qualkity and the cash ...controlled by people in the shadows who generaly don't give a fuck. aThere have been a few brave moves in different parts of the world and each time the penaliteies are lessened or removed ...themutitude of problems start to inch back ...and quite rapidly.
    For the individual and thoise around them ...for the courts the prisons the kids etc. The ending or easing of prohibitions everywhere have been positivce ...except for a few individuals.
    The medical and scientific evidence points to the fact that things would be better such and such a way ...ignoring the facts is notdemocracy in action. Or even common sense.
    Not everyone wants to actualy use it to excess by getting shit faced every time they use it ...epecialy those self medicating ...with a product they have discovered is far superior to any industrial medication they can legaly have ...with the toxicity risks that often entails.
    It is simply imoral to criminalise such people.
    Take a look at this guy who medicates ...and is alowed to drive having just had a few puffs on a spliff.

http://www.videojug.com/interview/marijuana-as-medicine-2
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    All the schizophrenics I know have smoked dope at some point in their life. The ones who have it worse are the ones who smoked more of it. *shrugs*
    All the schizophrenics I know have drunk water.
    Has mental illness increased in proportion to the ammount of cannabis thats being smoked?
  • Options
    Has mental illness increased in proportion to the ammount of cannabis thats being smoked?

There does seem to be a good link between young heavy use of cannabis and mental health issues.

But that's actually beside the point, cannabis should be legal not because its safe but because it is dangerous.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    There does seem to be a good link between young heavy use of cannabis and mental health issues.

But that's actually beside the point, cannabis should be legal not because its safe but because it is dangerous.

Khat has very limited medical use, if any ...yes ...allready said that.

cannabis should be legal not because its safe but because it is dangerous....yes ...already said that.
  • Options
    Are you going to address my other point, or would you rather ignore it.
  • Options
    Are you going to address my other point, or would you rather ignore it.
    Which other point?
  • Options
    Which other point?

The growing evidence linking early use of cannabis to mental health issues.
  • Options
    I think i have already mentioned that this is another reason for the laws to be changed ...i have never disputed it.
  • Options
    The growing evidence linking early use of cannabis to mental health issues.

Is there? or is there evidence of mental health diagnosis happening after cannabis use has started...?
  • Options
    Is there? or is there evidence of mental health diagnosis happening after cannabis use has started...?

That is a very good question, it does seem that we are moving from a correlation to a causation, at least in some people with the specific risk factors, including genetic predisposition.
  • Options
    there is also the issue of cannabis being used as an excape from mental illness. There is little doubt that cannabis use is higher amongst people with mental health problems - but then so are smoking and alcohol abuse.

Doesn't mean that either is what causes MH issues...
  • Options
    there is also the issue of cannabis being used as an excape from mental illness. There is little doubt that cannabis use is higher amongst people with mental health problems - but then so are smoking and alcohol abuse.

Doesn't mean that either is what causes MH issues...

No, in most cases they dont, I was talking specifically about young heavy use of cannabis. I'll have a root around and see if I can dig up a few papers.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not convinced cannabis is a factor in causing psychosis or general mental illness, except in those who have an existing condition, dormant or otherwise. Excessive consumption of alcohol can cause psychosis to the point of complete madness as well - so designating cannabis as class B or class C is in any case pure nonsense. Legalisation is the answer, and no argument to the contrary will ever be based on reason.

Quite how government after government all around the Western world can keep it illegal defies belief. You have to wonder if it's just pure stupidity, or whether its part of a wider conspiracy...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Quite how government after government all around the Western world can keep it illegal defies belief. You have to wonder if it's just pure stupidity, or whether its part of a wider conspiracy...

They do it because in large part its what the voters want. It might not be what the majority of people want but thats quite different.
  • Options
  • Options
    They do it because in large part its what the voters want. It might not be what the majority of people want but thats quite different.

Since when have governments bothered about what voters want? There's clearly an alterior motive.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Since when have governments bothered about what voters want? There's clearly an alterior motive.

There are loads, but none of the big conspiracies really hold water. Both alcohol and tobacco have less lobbying power than they used to, especially tobacco. As for medical companies, I doubt they really see drugs as a threat, more as a chance to make money - who would the government turn to if they legalised MDMA?

Its more based on outdated moralistic view points, the fact that they are tied into international agreements, the pressure on them from the US, the pressure of the tabloids, the fear of looking like a radical...