Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Links to the past?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What kind of everyday links do you have to the past?
When i was a kid ...before decimalisation ...the coins in my pocket could have king edward ...king george and even victoria on them ...especialy victorian pennies ...these were all common coins in my pocket ...half crowns florins shillings from generations before.
my nan was born in 1896 ...her nan was born in the 18th century.
I walked on cobbles that were lain hundreds of years before i was born ...i had so many links to the past that the past was very much alive. Even the prime ministers were all born in the 19th century.
When i was about ten years old some of my family moved to America ...they travelled by ocean liner of course ...do you people have links to bygone times?

Comments

• Options
    I think I have some old newspapers, somewhere... and the building my apartment is in was build in the 18th or 19th Century.

Thats about it.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I think I have some old newspapers, somewhere...
    i meant more of in your daily life ...you see i look at my kids and their world and it all seems so modern ...with few or no actual links to any kind of past at all ...almost as if the past has been erased. i used very old money everyday in my modern world ...people still travelled by ocean liner ...none of you use say ...a zx sinclair do you?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I do have some stuff, but it's a secret... (for real, don't ask!).
  • Options
    He's alive!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    He's alive!
    Nah, it's just a dream. We'll all wake up again in a few minutes.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    He's alive!
    and FREEEE!
  • Options
    and FREEEE!
    That would explain why there's a newsflash on my telly saying a dangerous nutter is on the loose. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    That would explain why there's a newsflash on my telly saying a dangerous nutter is on the loose. :p

when i was stalking you earlier ...peeping through your kitchen window ...i saw a woman i've not seen before at your house ...talking to your mum ...
  • Options
    when i was stalking you earlier ...peeping through your kitchen window ...i saw a woman i've not seen before at your house ...talking to your mum ...
    Well, we do have a guest downstairs at the moment, but thanks for your concern. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Well, we do have a guest downstairs at the moment, but thanks for your concern. :p

and can you remember to put the rubbish out on time ...whats with all the glass and stuff?
  • Options
    and can you remember to put the rubbish out on time ...whats with all the glass and stuff?
    This is creepily accurate. Erm... I'll go put that rubbish out in a little while. As for glass, I don't know where you're seeing that...
  • Options
    What kind of everyday links do you have to the past?
    When i was a kid ...before decimalisation ...the coins in my pocket could have king edward ...king george and even victoria on them ...especialy victorian pennies ...these were all common coins in my pocket ...half crowns florins shillings from generations before.
    my nan was born in 1896 ...her nan was born in the 18th century.
    I walked on cobbles that were lain hundreds of years before i was born ...i had so many links to the past that the past was very much alive. Even the prime ministers were all born in the 19th century.
    When i was about ten years old some of my family moved to America ...they travelled by ocean liner of course ...do you people have links to bygone times?
    where have you been hiding? or was it involuntary hiding? :D
  • Options
    When i re plastered a wall in my house i found stuck in the wall a very very old nestle chocolate wrapper, it looks more like those golden Virginia sachets than a chocolate wrapper, it was really interesting to look at.

It had been there all that time.
  • Options
    i have a supernintendo! does that count?
  • Options
    I am a link to the past...
  • Options
    I have the game Zelda: a link to the past :p.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I have the game Zelda: a link to the past :p.
    I thought the same when I read the title :p
    But I just have the GBA version.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    where have you been hiding? or was it involuntary hiding? :D
    come on now ...you know those days are over. I do have links to the past though ...even a genuine strangeways shirt!
  • Options
    look what i found ...a link to the past ...goodbye all ....
  • Options
    you off again, so soon?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    you off again, so soon?

I used to enjoy this place ...good laughs ...good fights ...good ideas ...you know ...the stuff the young are good at but ...i think you've all grown old and boring ...i'll probably make a post now and again to annoy the likes of kermit who likes saying the word cunt a lot and slagging off smokers and smoking as if it's in his words ...evil ...lighten up folks.
  • Options
    By the way ...when i refer to young people ...it's what attracted me to this place ...no i'm not a dirty old man, not yet ...lots of time left for that.
    All the sites i ever went on for people my own age were like this ones become ...boring. All the women want to marry you or have an affair at the drop of a hat ...a simple compliment and and they think you want a shag!
    You lot were different ...like my own grown up kids ...full of ideas and hopes and dreams and problems ...full of fun and anger.
    Go to the sites i went to and they all adore cliff richards and christie burg!!!Yuk.
    And ...the mere mention of dope ...BANNED!
    Thanx for the entertainment ...you all know who you are.
  • Options
    All the women want to marry you or have an affair at the drop of a hat ...a simple compliment and and they think you want a shag!

I would like the address for some of these websites. Sounds like I could fuck my way into a lot of wills.

And I've always wanted to have sex in a bath chair.
  • Options
    I would like the address for some of these websites. Sounds like I could fuck my way into a lot of wills.

And I've always wanted to have sex in a bath chair.
    :):blush:
    you know what they say ...where theres a will theres a relative. Bloody good idea though ...sure beats working for a living.
  • Options
    :):blush:

You old scoundrel! :D

It's the mohair boiled sweets, isn't? No one can resist the allure of freshly cleaned dentures.
  • Options
    You old scoundrel! :D

It's the mohair boiled sweets, isn't? No one can resist the allure of freshly cleaned dentures.
    I tell you what realy got me ...you lot look forward ...most people my age never stop looking back.
  • Options
    I tell you what realy got me ...you lot look forward ...most people my age never stop looking back.

Reply 1: That's why old folk keep bumping into things.

Reply 2: Some filth about making eye contact in a certain coitus position.

Reply 3: But at least old people get to wear a flat caps without looking like a complete cunt.

I might start a fashion called Complete Cunt and sell stupid clothes to Nathans :chin: