Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Multiple wives will mean multiple benefits

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess that's a generalisation when you look at how many wars deaths and suicide bombers there are ro have been with both religions.

I think if you look at history, you'll realise that both religions have an equally bad record of pushing their views on the rest of the population whenever they're in power. The difference is that currently, plenty of countries are under Islamic rule, and none are under Christian rule. Don't let that fool you though, because even in the constitutionally secular America, the Christian majority will take any opportunity to push their religious views on the population at large. Just two examples are stem cell research and the government support of abstinance programs in Africa (and I wonder how much suffering those two votes have caused). The only difference between Christianity and Islam is that Islam has power in certain countries at the moment, whereas Christianity doesn't. Don't mistake modern secular democracies as a representation of modern Christianity, because they have come into being despite Christianity, not because of it. We only have to go back to the 1980's to witness the last time the Catholic church had power in a European country, for example, and it wasn't pretty.

Incidentally, the muslim equivalent of a modern secular democracy is Turkey, which is a fairly nice place as far as I can tell (at least as tolerant as equivalently developed nations in Europe).
  • Options
    This is very ignorant, how dare you call people "the foaming att he mouth brigade" when there are very real victims of terrorism in this country.

I dare because that is the behaviour I see. You are correct there are some victims of terrorism in this country. More victims of Irish terrorism than any carried out by muslims.

Think about it.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    For Gods sakes NOBODY is saying that ALL Muslims are terrorists so STOP SAYING THAT THEY ARE SAYING THAT!

Actually someone is saying that we should treat muslims differently because "they all read from the same book"...
    Man Of Kent, in this thread you said that Australians are a "racist society". Shall I hit back at you with this strawman too?

I f you want to bring that up in the relevant threa I will be happy to point out that a society can be racist but that doesn't mean that everyone in it is... the laws, the actions of a Govt all play a part in the society....
  • Options
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c88_1177124253

Think about this, top of the list.

Has he applied for benefit for his second wife then?
    I would just like you to take into consideration the victims and views of a vast amount of "negative" Islamic followers as well, before you say we are basically being too mean to them and picking on them.

So, you want me to accept that you are predjudiced against muslims in this country because of what a small number of their fellow followers have done or said overseas.

Sorry, never gonna happen.
  • Options
    Does that look like the UK?

My point exactly. It doesn't matter what he said because he's not claiming benefit is he - given that this thread is about a news story designed to increase the hostility towards muslims..
  • Options
    My point exactly. It doesn't matter what he said because he's not claiming benefit is he
    Oh for Gods sakes, you haven't exactly been discussing benefits over the last few pages of the thread have you... :rolleyes:
    given that this thread is about a news story designed to increase the hostility towards muslims..
    Why would anyone want to increase hostility towards Muslims? What could be the possible reasons why anyone would want to increase hostility towards Muslims? Please list a few reasons...

OR, could it be that people just don't want certain Islamic values and customs creeping into this society?

MOK, remember that to the outside world, I am a Muslim myself. Do you think I would want to help in increasing hostility towards myself?

I have never known someone to be so ignorant and oblivious, yet so smug.
  • Options
    So you're saying all through my replies, even though i have stated it many times, that you STILL don't know what i'm addressing?:confused:

Of course I do, it more the opposite. You don't seem to understand that all the news stories, like this one all thehype abouy things like the link are demonising muslims.

This story is just another example of that, which was my whole point in the first place.

The truth of this story is that people with multiple spuses will not be able to claim benefits for each as spouse and not individuals. This means that they will get less.

The story suggests that opposite and links diffectly to those of muslim faith - thus it is designed to demonise in the eyes of people, like you, who think that every muslims "reads from the same book" and therefopre should be feared or treated like scum.

You mention terrorism and then ignore the fact that more people in the UK have been victims of Irish terrorism but funnily enough you don't suggest that the public at large should fear the Irish...
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Oh for Gods sakes, you haven't exactly been discussing benefits over the last few pages of the thread have you... :rolleyes:

Well er actually we have, as I mentioned above.
    Why would anyone want to increase hostility towards Muslims? What could be the possible reasons why anyone would want to increase hostility towards Muslims? Please list a few reasons...

OR, could it be that people just don't want certain Islamic values and customs creeping into this society?

Or could it be, as I mentioned before, that every Govt needs a "bogeyman" so that they can exert control over the population. It's a basic tenet of power and I defy you to show me one state where that doesn't happen.

FFS I listed examples earlier... but look right now, how many states demonise jews, how many demonise arabs, how many demonise "the west", pakistan has india, venezuela has the US... the list is endless...
    I have never known someone to be so ignorant and oblivious, yet so smug.

Clearly you have never used a mirror then.
  • Options
    Every Muslim terrorist is inspired by the same teachings.

Actually the majority are inspired by how they percieve we treat them like second class citizens.
    Your arguement is retarded, the Irish are not even a threat anymore, I'M IRISH, my second name is Hoey, should people be scared of me? No. So you're arguement is fuckign stupid to be blunt.

No dude, it's your argument that is fucking stupid for the very reason you highlight in that comment.

You are not a threat, neither are the vast majority of muslims and yet you seem to think that because some are that means that it is okay to demonise all.
  • Options
    lol, another laod a shite, how is the government controlling me or anyone else? I don't need convincing when your bogeymen blow up and kill hundreds every day all over the world.

You mean apart from the right to protest being removed, CCTV, a push for ID cards, the fact that you can be arrested and put in prison without charge, house arrest, your e-mails being read by MI5, your phone tapped... all laws created in the name of "anti-terrorism" and all actually about control.
    What has that got to do with benefits? (oh the irony)

It has everything to do with your reaction, the way you behave and the way you think it is right that benefits should not be applied fairly for muslims purely because in another country someone of the same faith might be a terrorist.

You don't see those links because your mind is too narrow.
  • Options
    *edited*
  • Options
    *edited*
  • Options
    er, off topic, much?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    er, off topic, much?
    Actually you're right. This thread would have to go extremely off-topic (as if it isn't already) in order for me to reply to all MOK's and Matts posts that I disagree with. I might bring up some of their comments in any future discussions about Islam though.

Any more comments on the subject of benefits then?
  • Options
    I was gonna comment on this thread but on second thou's i aint got a spare few hours,so many things said hear is screaming out to me nah way wrong but if people wanna be IGNORANT and stupid who am i to say any differnet.