Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Archbishop of Canterbury backs Sharia Law

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And before anyone tries to infer i have anti-Muslim views, i'd be equally vehement about the danger of a legal system based on the morality of the Old Testament.

Well I think you have anti-Islamic views, not anti-muslim views, and you shouldn't apologise for doing so. I do too. However, I believe that people should have the right to do and say things that I might disagree with. So provided it's done within our existing law, I don't see a problem with people coming to legal agreements based on the teachings of whatever book they wish, if both parties agree. But like I said, I don't see how that needs any more formal recognition than any other out-of-court settlement.
  • Options
    Jeez, anyne would think that he'd advocated the slaughter of children.

The joy of being Archbishop is that you have no electorate and so you can say some pretty controversial things and thus spark debate. Which he has done. It's not like this debate could have been started by an Imam - partly because they would never have got the coverage.

However, Rowan actually makes some interesting points about how elements of our laws do not conform with other faiths and that perhaps we should look at how we rectify that... so tha tour laws really are relevant to all.
  • Options
    Calls for him to resign for making a suggestion and giving an opinion.

Talk about going OTT.

If Sharia law is introducded over here, will English law be introduced in Islamic countries?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    If Sharia law is introducded over here, will English law be introduced in Islamic countries?

Why should it be? How is that relevant?
  • Options
    But anyway, some of the reactions this morning have been absolutely pathetic. Calls for him to resign for making a suggestion and giving an opinion.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Why should it be? How is that relevant?

Why not?
  • Options
    Why not?

So the yardstick you use to measure whether our country is free and fair is Saudi Arabia or Iran is it?
  • Options
    To be honest, the more i read about this the less i understand exactly what the AoC was actually advocating, and to what practical extent the introduction of Sharia Law could be implemented. Presumably a crime under British law is still a crime, even if it isn't under the vagaries of Fatwas passed on the basis of Sharia Law.

What is it that could be done by introducing certain parts of Sharia Law that couldn't be done already?

EDIT: It seems that introducing Sharia Law has worked out tickety-boo in other countries: link
  • Options
    Why not?

Because we should be aiming higher than other countries, not only doing things because they do.

How would Saudi (for example) having "english" laws improve your life?
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Ours has it's root in ancient texts too, whether they be philosophical or religious. What's the difference?
    Is it simply our ignorance of true islam caused by our paranoid impression of the religion brought about by terrorists that's making so many people cry out about what is at this stage just an opininon and idea?
    I think a thorough refutation of all precepts of wisdom is healthy and leads to higher truth, and maybe in this case the Archbishop has with his extensive knowledge come to the conclusion that it would be advantageous to a divided world to make some changes and give our country a more globaly appealing ethical future through an enhanced system of worldly wisdom via the medium of law.
    In this sense we would be making Britain a truely representative entity - A microcosm of world spirituality and customs with it's aim to aspire to the very highest of human ethical and cultural understanding.
    I think it's very Christian to "Invite others into our home"

What exactly is "true Islam" when it's at home? A strict adherence to the literal word of God as dictated to Mohammed and presented in the Qu'ran? Pull the other one. The idea that there is somehow a splendid, peaceful, true Islam buried under all the bastardised misrepresentations, is laughable.

I'm all for a multi-cultural, diverse and ethical society; i've no interest in bringing in what for all counts appears to be oppressive, backwards law in order to claim to be "microcosm of world spirituality".

What are the advantages of bringing in Sharia Law. I'm open to a reasonable discussion about the topic, with sound examples of reasons for change, but i prefer to deal with facts, rather than vague, wishy-washy notions.
  • Options
    Leaving aside Saudi Arabia and Iran, you might like to consider India which has a religious personal law system. Many people have misconstrued Dr Williams' interview as a call for Sharia law governing all UK citizens, as far as I can tell this is absolutely not the case. I think what he was actually suggesting was an Islamic arbitration court to settle civil, often marital disputes. I believe in some cities the Jewish community also has a similar practice. Applicants should retain the right of locus standi before the English courts whether on appeal or fresh hearings, perhaps with an officer of the court present who might act in the interests of the parties to protect against particular acts of coercion (especially as against vulnerable indviduals, children and women)- where a reference might automatically be made to the courts.

The notions of beheading etc. in relation to this issue are completely misleading, sensationalistic and are utterly repugnant to the law in this country. One does not have to look far to see how the UK has adopted to pluralism, e.g. the structure of trusts and banking practices in accordance with sharia (which does not recognise the concept of interest), the exemption from the Motorcycle Helmet Laws for Sikhs who wish to wear their turbans, the recognition of different Sabbaths in the week in employment law.