Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Pill ... types

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been on marvelon for about five or six years now. It was the first one I took and it hasn't given me any problems.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Ladies, take a look at the following for more info on the different types of the Pill, including pros/cons and side effects:

Combined pill

FAQ: Missing the combined pill

Progestogen only pill

FAQ: Missing the progestogen-only pill

Enjoy... Kx
  • Options
    I was on Ovranette for 3 month..and i had a bad experience while i was on it. I will be going back on the pill soon though because since i have come off it i have a had a hormonal inbalance so i haven't been feeling as i should. I would just stay of it but i have severe cramps when it gets to that time of the month.
    :(
    I heard about the combined pill that somehow lowered the risks of breast cancer. But i am not sure it has been produced yet.
    :confused:
  • Options
    not many ppl are on yasmin, i read only one person here who said there where. i found tat it made me put on weight or else i eat to much and blamed it on that
  • Options
    I'm on one of the types of pills that gradually increases the hormones over the three weeks. I really like it. The ones with the same amount the whole time mad me unstable, to say the least. Though it makes skipping your period impossible, you just bleed once you start the low dose again as its almost like none.
  • Options
    i was on microgynon 30 for 3 months, but it was giving me un explained chest pains at the end of the packet, it also made me put weight on, did wonders for my skin tho and cleared my period pains up
    recently switched to loestrin 20, only been on it about a week and a half but its been giving me headaches since around saturday - the hot weather probably hasn't helped. And i've discovered today a small patch of yellow skin on my breast that i'm worried about - so going back tomorrow. It's also made my boobs a bit sore.
    I don't think my body is liking the hormones. But nearly all female contraceptions are hormonal :(
  • Options
    Theres actually quite a few differet nonhormonal methods. Male and female condoms, iud, cap, diaphram, sponges and spermacides.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Theres actually quite a few differet nonhormonal methods. Male and female condoms, iud, cap, diaphram, sponges and spermacides.
    they're not as good as hormonal though are they? you can't have the coil till you've had a baby can you?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    they're not as good as hormonal though are they? you can't have the coil till you've had a baby can you?

they used to say that but you can have the minerva coil at any age. some of my friends have it, and they were recommended it by doctors who they work with.
  • Options
    I've been on Monofeme for 7months. Hasn't made my boobs bigger :( or cleared up skin :(

Nor has it made it worse. I dont think I've put on weight, nor have I lost (very unfortunate :p)

It has increased my libido I'm sure, and decresed period pain and lightened it a bit.
  • Options
    Microgynon made me have really bad mood swings.
    Marvelon i was on for 3 years and spent most of it ill without knowing it was the pill doing it. Felt tired and sick for 90% of the time.
    Femodette made me ill again
    Dianette made me ill again

So i swapped to femulen which is the progestrogen only pill. I tried this just before dianette but the doctors asked me to come off it because of stress affecting my weight and they said my body needed a break for a while.

I've been back on femulen for a month now and i feel a lot better. Skin's still a bit horrible but at least my hormones seem to have regulated themselves. *touching wood*.
  • Options
    i was put on the Microgynon pill and was on it for 4 months before i decided to come off.
    i had brown discharge nearly everyday throughout the 4 months and i'd randomly bleed, i put on weight, regularly get spots which i never used to before and have also had thrush twice which i also had never experienced before.
    i really need to pluck up the courage of going to the doctors (something i'm not too fond of) to get put on another pill.
    i have read through the posts and havent seen anyone else yet who has experienced this. :(
  • Options
    Hiya,

You're probably best off starting a new thread for something new, rather than adding to the end of a rather long and old thread.

You can ask to see a female doctor if that helps at all, the receptionist won't ask why. Going back for a new pill is always far easier than going for the first time, and don't forget that you can always go to a family planning clinic rather than the GP. Various types of the pill are their steady trade.