Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gym beginner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right,

I have joined the college gym. Have never really been one for gyms before (did the induction at the leisure centre I worked at, but absolutely no recollection of what the guy told me to do), I prefer general outdoor exercise or swimming.

BUT I'm not getting down to the pool nearly enough during term time and the cycling I do isn't really enough to compensate for my junk food for deadlines habit.

So, I'm generally looking for all round exercise with a bit of weight/fat loss. Less bothered about that, more want to increase my fitness so I can run up the 4 flights of stairs to the lecture theatre when I'm late and not die when I get there.

Gym is very small but seems to have most of the usual stuff, couple of steppers, a treadmill, an erg, these funny running/cross trainer things (you kind of run and move your arms about at the same time), some weight machines, a gravitron, free weights, exercise balls and mats.

Now I've got absolutely no idea whatsoever as to what I should do, in what order or anything like that so a rough suggestion (suitable for blonde girls) would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    I use the gym about 2 - 3 times a week and I'm quite happy that I'm steadily improving my fitness. There isn't any point in going overboard when you start cos it'll just set you back.

I started off with:

Warm-up stretching

- 10 minutes treadmill (fast walking progressing to running)
    - 10 minutes cross-trainer

Then resistance (weights)

- two sets of 10 reps on most machines.
    - 5 sets of 10 sit-ups.

Then afterwards 10 minutes on the bike.

Cooldown stretching.

Of course all of these can be increased time/speed/resistance as you get fitter, and depending on what time you have to spare.
  • Options
    High intensity interval training really helped my cardiovascular endurance when I started out. I don't know much about fartlek (snig) but apparently it's a very good conditioning tool fartlek

If you're going to do weight training and cardio work on the same day, it's best to do the weight training first, then the cardio. And some other stuff you might find useful: Getting started, sport specific training and workout guides
  • Options
    Cheers!