Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jeremy Clarkson proved wrong

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I still don't get how they got the money out in the first place. Presumably he didn't publish his 3 pin security code, which should be required to set up a direct debit?

Eh? 3pin security code. ?

You can set a d.d up online without entering any code/verification.

Over the phone too.
  • Options
    Am I correct in assuming that, when you say 3-pin security code, you're referring to the last three digits on the back of a credit/debit card?
  • Options
    Yeah those ones. Of course if someone finds your card, they can use it (but theoretically, companies shouldn't be sending anything to an address other than that of the holder). But it should prevent people from using your card details to buy something online by just using your account number and sort code. But apparently not.
  • Options
    DC85 wrote: »
    You don't have to declare where its from, but if the person who takes it off you thinks its suspicious they have to report it.

If asked, your well within your rights to say 'mind your own business'.

And then you're well within your rights to recieve a visit from the local police who'll start asking questions you can answer at best with "no comment" :p
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    And then you're well within your rights to recieve a visit from the local police who'll start asking questions you can answer at best with "no comment" :p

:P
  • Options
    I found out today that the money laundering limit is £5000. Anything over that amount has to be reported to the security services for investigation.
  • Options
    I found out today that the money laundering limit is £5000. Anything over that amount has to be reported to the security services for investigation.

Only if it suspicious.

Some businesses will deposit over 5k in daily in cash, the obviously don't get reported every day.
  • Options

Not quite as hard and fast as that. It's whether the money is suspicious or not. People at risk of money laundering (banks, solicitors etc) have to take steps to make sure that the source of the money is not suspicious before they do anything that could facilitate money laundering.

Curiously, if they don't it's the person who gets the criminal fine, not the company. Which is utterly fucking stupid. If I didn't grill my clients about where there money was from I could have been sent down for five years when I was a conveyancer. Completely proportionate, that isn't.

I find it quite scary how people already assume that any amount of cash is a bit dodgy. I pay nearly everywhere with cash, its much easier for budgeting, and every time I pay for my shopping with a wad of crisp twenties I get some really dirty looks from people. Cash won't be around much longer and then we're all at the mercy of the banks and the Government.

Sounds a bit Hand Maids Tale to me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Not quite as hard and fast as that. It's whether the money is suspicious or not.

:yes:
  • Options
    Not quite as hard and fast as that. .

True, if you turn up at the bank with a cheque or you are an accountant/buisnessman with regular large amounts of money coming into/out of your accounts all the time you probably won't be investigated.

If you turn up at the bank with a big bag of cash wanting to transfer £20,000 to an unnamed account in Switzerland without being able to prove where the money came from and where it's going, some questions might be asked.
  • Options
    SHOW.jpg
  • Options
    I really don't think Clarkson is going to miss 500 sovs, so what's the big deal? The money is better of where it is now anyway.
  • Options
    I really don't think Clarkson is going to miss 500 sovs, so what's the big deal?

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Epic Fail.
  • Options
    I really don't think Clarkson is going to miss 500 sovs, so what's the big deal? The money is better of where it is now anyway.

So, it's okay to steal from a rich person?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So, it's okay to steal from a rich person?

Duh, of course it is.

I think Jarvey has in his typical style, not just missed the point, but gone in the entirley opposite direction from the point.

I think Jeremy lerned a valuable lesson: Bank details. Don't give them out, kthx.
  • Options
    I find it quite scary how people already assume that any amount of cash is a bit dodgy. I pay nearly everywhere with cash, its much easier for budgeting, and every time I pay for my shopping with a wad of crisp twenties I get some really dirty looks from people. Cash won't be around much longer and then we're all at the mercy of the banks and the Government.
    Hmm. I remember getting some funny looks from a member of staff at PC World last year. I wanted to buy myself a laptop computer. I bought a bag with it, bringing the cost to just under £410. When I told him that I'd be paying with cash, and brought out a bundle of £20 notes, he just looked confused. What was his problem? It's far more convenient to the company if I give them cash. They have that money straight away, and they don't have to pay processing fees as they do on a card transaction. If I wanna pay by cash, I fucking will!