Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Time to have a Baby

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I finally think I am old enough and wise enough and have a stable life to be able to be a mother x I have been trying for commin up to a year now and with No look and it is starting worry me x I cant ay we have sex every week all week but we have a good share of it and I come of the pill a few weeks before trying x Can anyone give me any advice on how i can improve my chances or anthing i can do to help me get pregnant x Thank ou x

Comments

• Options
    fertility test for you and your partner maybe?
  • Options
    Yea but At my age they dont like doing them til you have been trying for 2years x
  • Options
    took my mates 18months now theyve had a lovely little girl...good luck!!
  • Options
    once you come off the pill it can take up to 18 months for fertility to return apparently
  • Options
    Have you tried charting your cycle? I think other posters who've had babies would know more about it than me, but it helped some people I know.
  • Options
    just out of interest.

how long have you been together?
    do you both work?
    do you own your own home?
  • Options
    You can chart your own cycle (or the doc can help) OR you can buy your own fertility tests online!

I got some from http://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/ and theres a discount code as well you can use.
  • Options
    Hiya, I used http://www.mymonthlycycles.com/ I think, when I was TTC.
    A few things which will make a difference is stress and diet.

Apparantly, I read somewhere that alot of people find they get pregnant after a sunday roast because of the variety of minerals etc.

Also after having sex try to elevate your pelvis to give the little guys abit more time to do their business.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    just out of interest.

do you both work?

Yay, good idea, then we can sidetrack, judge, and turn into a debate :thumb:
  • Options
    Yay, good idea, then we can sidetrack, judge, and turn into a debate :thumb:

i guess thats not what she was after, and tbh it was only a enquisitive question. if people want kids so be it, im just interested to know what sort of people are having kids these days.

sidetracking and debating i like! judging depends on the answers! :p
  • Options
    i guess thats not what she was after, and tbh it was only a enquisitive question. if people want kids so be it, im just interested to know what sort of people are having kids these days.

sidetracking and debating i like! judging depends on the answers! :p

:)

All sorts of people are having kids. Even people in rented accomodation!
  • Options
    maybe im just a traditionalist, but i'd like to own my own home before i considered children, i guess its a bit different up here where you can get a 4 bed detached house for around £150k
  • Options
    Nothing traditional or old fashioned about being a homeowner, and it certainly has no bearing on parenting skills.
  • Options
    maybe im just a traditionalist, but i'd like to own my own home before i considered children, i guess its a bit different up here where you can get a 4 bed detached house for around £150k
    reality check- i live in london, and on my prospective wages won't be able to buy a house until i'm 45

besides if i'm going to have kids i have to have them before i'm 32 because my family has a very short biological clock...
  • Options
    My mumm started going throughthe menopause at 30, makes you think.
  • Options
    just out of interest.

do you both work?

Well for your interest we have been together 3years now, both have proffesional jobs and yes we have our own home and looking that we both have familys who have supported us with having a comfortable lifestyle x
  • Options
    ok. Youre allowed then :)
  • Options

haha :thumb:
  • Options
    reality check- i live in london, and on my prospective wages won't be able to buy a house until i'm 45

no need for a reality check, thats why i said its a bit different up here, i understand houses cost more in other parts of the country, but also wages are a lot higher on average, and a lot of people do buy property before they are 45.
    Well for your interest we have been together 3years now, both have proffesional jobs and yes we have our own home and looking that we both have familys who have supported us with having a comfortable lifestyle x

you seem to be doing very well for yourself, i wish you all the best with having your children and hope you can provide for them like you say you have been treated. :thumb:

i know you're being a bit sarcastic with that but i fail to see the benefit of recommending unemployed, young, unsettled people advice on how to improve chances of getting pregnant. Of course anyone who wants to should be allowed to have a baby if they want, but my personal view is that its not a good idea. Of course any sort of stature doesnt instantly equal good parenting skills at all, but surely financial security does play a part when looking after a child. Figures on looking after a child do seem a little blown out of proportion to me but someone who doesnt have much disposable income to begin with is gonna feel the strain when taking on a child?
  • Options
    I dunno. I have children and im skint. I dont not recommend it. In fact I think anyone waiting for the perfect time financially could be waiting forever.
    I dont see the relevance of both doing paid work or owning your own home in anything other than your own personal decision.
  • Options
    We have a son and don't own our own home and with prices in Bristol i very much doubt we ever will. I don't see what having your own home has to do with it. Our home is secure for as long as we want it (and obviously pay rent).
    Much the same if you ask me.
  • Options
    In fact I think anyone waiting for the perfect time financially could be waiting forever.
    Exactly, there is never a "right" time to have a baby, if everyone waited til the elusive right time then the population would die off.
  • Options
    I was 20 when i first started trying for a baby, had no luck and lots of messed up periods (in the year before i started trying). So my gyny did some tests (nothing invasive, i just had some blood tests done and an ultrasound) and i found out after 3months of trying, what the problem was. The hubby also took a fertility test (a little later on) and he had a small problem but nothing major. So don't worry that you are young, if you are worried go to a dr.

I agree with Janjan charting really helps (even if you're not trying to get pregnant), it helped me monitor whether my periods were getting back to normal and once everything was on track it told me the exact days i should be ovulating. I used, www.yourdays.com

I also used ovulating kits to fine tune things a bit more (this helps you determine how long your luteal phase is) and also helps you find out whether or not you are actually ovulating (which initially i wasn't).

When the natural methods didnt work i needed to take some pills to help me ovulate, that worked but i still wasnt getting pregnant. In the end the only thing that did work (after having an operation) was doggy style. And then i lowered my head, chest and arms onto the bed and kept my bum in the air for 20mins. I am now 25weeks pregnant :p

So if you are worried go speak to your gp or if you can a gyny and they should try to help you out if something sounds odd. Also feel free to PM me if you have any worries or anything.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    I am now 25weeks pregnant :p
    Im a bit late but congratulations! I need to start paying attention round here ;)
  • Options
    gota reply to the tangent going on here. ive grown up in a house thats rented and with very little disposable income but as far as i know it has had no negative effect on me...
    to the op it can take a long while for your insides to go back to normal after being on the pill they generally say its about 18 months but if youre worried you should definatly go see a doctor
This discussion has been closed.