Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cheating partener

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think it's possible to stay with a partner whose cheated on you? Can you rebuild the trust and closeness you had before, or would you feel it's completely broken?

I've recently been in this situation myself, but I won't go into a massive rant about it, I was just wondering everybody's thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    I have taken a cheating partner back and it was never the same, all trust was gone. I would advise against it. There is no way I will ever be doing that again
  • Options
    As Schnap has said, it is never the same again. You will always have a doubt in your mind and it is not nice to carry on like that.
  • Options
    Yeah, never the same, once the trust has gone, the relationship is never right or how it was again.
  • Options
    I've never cheated on anyone, nor done any cheating myself. However, I'm certain that I would not take someone back if they'd gone off with someone else. That also means that, were I to cheat on a woman and she dumps me, I'd deserve everything I got.
  • Options
    I think it's possible, also trust would be hard to rebuild and well it wouldn't be easy to forget, specially for sex... Maybe doing it would make it fair, also I don't think it will be as easy to go and cheat as well just to make equality... It is a hard question really and I don't really know what I would do in a situation as such...
  • Options
    Im not sure id ever feel the same way again, but you never really know until it happens.
    It would depend on lots of things I guess.
  • Options
    I have taken a cheating partner back and it was never the same, all trust was gone.

Ditto, and I realised pretty quickly that the relationship was already halfway down the drain because I couldn't trust him implicitly. Then he cheated again and the fate of the relationship was sealed...definitely one person for whom the saying "once a cheater, always a cheater" rings true. ;)

However, of course every relationship and every situation is different and should be judged as such; I can't see myself ever taking back an unfaithful partner again but I'd never say never.
  • Options
    I always thought that I would never take back anyone who had cheated on me but when I found out that my boyfriend had strayed I was obviously very upset and angry but we are now better than ever as he has realised that he nearly lost me and he doesn't want that to happen again. I do sometimes have a niggling feeling that it could happen again but I think I'm just being paranoid. I made him tell her about me and to show me what he had said to her and what she had sent back. I now know that he regrets doing what he did and that she hates him for what he did to her so she doesn't want to talk to him any more.

It all depends on how much you love the person, how long they were cheating on you for, how serious it got, how far they went with the other person (he hadn't slept with her although I think the intention was there) and what they see for the future.