Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An ultra right wing Bushbot homophobe is out of office

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7054912.stm

Do widzenia, cunt! :D :wave:

Let's hope the new government has the gulls to dismantle the CIA torture camps in Poland and that it tells Bush where to stick its missile defence missiles and radar stations.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    EXCELLENT news :thumb:
  • Options
    Nobody is saying you (or he) cannot disagree with homosexuality. It is however quite unnaceptable when he tries to pass laws to discriminate against homosexuals.

The man's a cunt and no mistake.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Nobody is saying you (or he) cannot disagree with homosexuality. It is however quite unnaceptable when he tries to pass laws to discriminate against homosexuals.

Exactly, its perfectly acceptable to disagree with homosexuality on moral and/or religious grounds. Its when you put this view into action and specifically discriminate on that its a problem.

I disagree with golf but that doesnt mean I think it should be banned and its players hounded.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    We're always passing laws against things we don't agree with... Just because homosexuality is now the norm. We seem to have lost some of our higher morals. Probably too far away to see that though.

Like what? What similar thing have we banned?

P.S - Morality changes like everything else.
  • Options
    We're always passing laws against things we don't agree with... Just because homosexuality is now the norm. We seem to have lost some of our higher morals. Probably too far away to see that though.
    I think we have acquired morals as we progress and evolve. Not long ago we burnt people who didn't practice the 'right' religion or whose sexual orientation and tastes didn't conform to the authorities' own. Such actions were amongst the most immoral ever commited by the human race. It's good that we have got rid of such barbarism.
  • Options
    There isn't anything similar. I guess it comes down to thinking we are all equal and therefore capable of making the right choices. You could only ban homosexuality on the gounds that it was against religion. Fewer people believe in God therefore it is now legal.

Or does it? Will murder ever be right? I think there are set values tbh. Laws.

It comes down to thinking that what two consenting adults get up to between themselves with little or no harm to each other is no business of the police or the government.

What's classed as murder has definitely changed over the years, and the ways in which we kill people has changed. Can you for example imagine people being put on the cross again? No, but it was a norm then. People change and morality changes.
  • Options
    I don't need laws to tell me what's right and wrong- and that should be true of everybody else.

Trying to dictate what conselting adults can do in bed is never right, regardless of what the law says or might have said in the past.
  • Options
    Maybe not, but what they do in public should be.

I dont know what sort of area you live in, but I rarely see buggery in the street these days, its too cold.
  • Options
    lol. I mean like kissing etc.

What's wrong with people kissing in public?
  • Options
    I'm talking about the laws of the universe not man made laws.
    I'm only aware of a few 'laws' of the universe (if you can call them that) and they only concern such matters as gravity, energy, matter and other such physics issues. I'm certainly not aware of any laws of the universe governing sexual tendencies of a certain species of mammal living on a rather insignificant rocky planet orbiting a minor star in one of the arms of the Milky Way galaxy.

Maybe not, but what they do in public should be.
    And it already is. If you have sex on the street chances are you will be arrested. I don't think it matters whether it's straight or gay sex either.
    And if here isn't a God why should I listen to any laws that have simply been made up in someones head rather than plucked from that other worldly realm?
    You don't need to listen to any laws if you don't wish to do so. It's call anarchism.

But then again I don't pay attention to many laws either. I don't rob, kill, abuse, torture or rape people because I know it is wrong, not because the law says I shouldn't- or indeed because a mythical being tells me I'm going to hell if I do.

Indeed, you have to wonder if many religious people have actually got any sense of right and wrong, if the only reason they don't do certain things is because of fear of retribution from their god, rather than because it is the right thing.

Incidentally any laws that you might think come from "God" have been made up in someone's head too.

Don't you remember having that unction as to what was right and wrong when you were a wee small child? Where did that come from I ask you?
    From a mixture of education and contact with others and the world that surrounds you, generally.
    And is it just those people concerned who are changed by all this? Aren't families affected? Don't others change their own perception based on what they are told is acceptable? Doesn't this lead closer to where I am now?
    Not sure I follow...
  • Options
    Seeing blokes kiss actualy repulses me. Makes me feel delinquent.

Does it cause you any harm? Fat people in thongs on holiday repulse me, but that's my problem.
  • Options
    I suppose you'll tell me next that hearing Gods voice is simply the chemicals in my brain. Talking chemicals. Intelligent talking chemicals for that matter. Intelligent talking chemicals that enlighten me and tell me things I didn't previously know. Ok.

Sounds like a mental illness to me. You should get that checked out.
  • Options
    This is pointless anyway, I'm not going to change your minds, they've been made up for you by the state, through education and contact with others.
    I just hope they know something I don't.

Nope, they've been made up by logic and rational arguments and innate human morality. Whereas yours by your own admittance has been made up by religion combined with a rather tragic incident in your childhood.
  • Options
    You make a compelling case for the outlawing of rape. Fortunately though it's already illegal. People do horrible things, but by your logic, heterosexuality should be considered immoral because some men rape women.
  • Options
    Seeing blokes kiss actualy repulses me. Makes me feel delinquent.
    There is no end of things that repulse people. Live and let live eh?
  • Options
    I've been infected with gayness. I just want it out of me, it's making my skin crawl.
    It's like a spawn of satan growing in my mind, lust and other such dirty things. Yuck!
    You need help alright...
  • Options
    Is that supposed to be a negative thing?
  • Options
    Self indulgence is isn't it?

Says who? The Catholic church? Who does it hurt? I'm sorry but the Catholic church has cause more damage with their sick teachings on pre-marital sex in sub-saharan Africa than anyone has by fucking their same-sex partner. So I'm sorry if I don't take the moral opinion of that disgusting organisation seriously.

Incidentally, I assume you feel the same way about playing squash, drinking alcohol, playing computer games, and anything else people do solely for pleasure? Unless you're a monk, you really can't hold the moral high ground against homosexuality on this basis.
  • Options
    I'm sorry J for what you've been through. But what you've described in the past isn't homosexuality - it's rape. At some point you are going to need to recognise that, and being blunt about it - past abuse doesn't give you the right to be homophobic.

If seeing men kiss repulses you because of what happened then your attempts to deal with the events in the past haven't worked completely. I'd suggest speaking to someone at Survivors UK - You can phone them between 7pm and 10pm each night on 0845 122 1201.

Bear in mind, however, that whilst we here can understand why you may feel the way you do, we wouldn't ever condone what you are saying. Hate is never a good thing in the world, and spreading hateful messages about some users here and billions of people in the world isn't acceptable. Please give them a call, or speak to someone else, as homophobia isn't going to cut it here.

Back on topic people - or I'll have to close this.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Back on topic people - or I'll have to close this.

What was it about again? Oh yeah, good move by Poland. :thumb:
  • Options
    My girlfriend queued for 3 hours to vote yesterday, she was ecstatic. Do widzenia indeed! Apparently this Tusk bloke isn't too bad.
  • Options
    They have the lowest turnout in europe - which suprises me. Most of the ex-communist dictatorships have pretty good voting records.
  • Options
    The turnout on this election was up considerably from the last one, though still I don't know what it might have been.

By the look of it many Poles were rather unhappy with the outgoing government. It'll be interesting to see what changes in foreign policy (if any) the new government will implement. Then again maybe the Poles are not so concerned with the missile defence system or the torture camps as they are with corruption and ineffectiveness.
  • Options
    Don't worry about it. Everyone here knows you've been through some shit, so they're not gonna take what you say personally.

But I would suggest that if you're interested in doing a bit of reading into the scientific reasons for homosexuality, you might discover that it's not as unnatural and unnecessary as it might appear.
  • Options
    They have the lowest turnout in europe - which suprises me. Most of the ex-communist dictatorships have pretty good voting records.

Maybe they took the usual right-wing advice of "if you don't like it, leave" and left the country in a bit of shit for the rest of them to sort out?
  • Options
    Does that mean there is going to be an exodus of Polish builders in Britain, going back to their country?

Better get your home improvements done now ;)
  • Options
    I quite like the idea of lots of really camp builders coming over here to escape conditions in Poland.

Sadly they all seem to be rather morose heavy drinking individuals who spit.
  • Options
    Maybe they took the usual right-wing advice of "if you don't like it, leave" and left the country in a bit of shit for the rest of them to sort out?

Well the previous left wing government wouldn't let them leave and created the shit in the first place, so I suppose they may have a point
  • Options
    Are you talking about the Soviet rule or the last government?

(Genuine question- can't remember what the situation was before the present government or even if it was a democratically elected government).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Soviet rule or the last government?

(Genuine question- can't remember what the situation was before the present government or even if it was a democratically elected government).

Soviet rule.

Though to be honest my comment was slightly tongue in cheek

That said the present Government is also right wing (in Europe its part of the European People's Party (to which the UK's Tories are linked though they're part of its more eurosceptic sub-group - EPP European Democrats).

Whilst there are policy differences between the parties I wouldn't over-exxagerate them - they're both pro-US, capitalist parties. And both have their routes in Solidarity

The Kaczyński twins however seem to have a habit of rubbing their allies up the wrong way. They were allies with Donald Tusk before falling out and were also managed to fall out with Lech Wałęsa at some time and he can't stand them now.