Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pre-Budget Report

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote: »
    I got a letter off the new chancellor a few weeks ago, talking about the average person as a whole was better off because of the new simplified taxes, and that he couldnt comment on what might be my individual case

Did he tell you that the average person has less than half a vagina and less than one testicle ?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    And the people in the middle are still fucked anyway. I earn a decent wage and a third of it at least is gone before it gets to the bank. Robbing bastards.

If those bastards didn't rob everyone you wouldn't receive a wage would you ?

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it.
  • Options
    the capital gains changes are crap really it's too simple and it's still lower than income tax, so all it does is mean accountants will find ways to turn income into capital assets

long term assests should be lower rate than short term investments
  • Options
    I still can't get over people think the threshold should go up.

To put it in perspective..

If you inherit £500,000 - you'll get £300,000 tax-free so you pay 40% on the remaining £200,000

So you pay £80K tax

So you still inherit £420,000

So if you inherit the big 1 million, you'd get £760,000

Is that not enough for people ??

You could live a nice comfortable life on the interest alone!
  • Options

If you inherit £500,000 - you'll get £300,000 tax-free so you pay 40% on the remaining £200,000

So you pay £80K tax

most people don't realise this
  • Options
    most people don't realise this

It's about giving the impression of giving a tax cut when in fact practically no-one will recieve one, and ironically the vast majority of people supporting it will be the ones that have to foot the bill. I'd be interested to know how many people who inherit a £300k house actually live in it, since the Conservative minister seemed very keen to suggest that this was a bill to get on the property ladder.
  • Options

So you pay £80K tax

Just because you'd have loads of money left after tax, has no bearing on whether it was right or proper for the money to have been taken from you in the first place.
  • Options
    Its no diffrent from taxing people that give money to friends and family while alive,
  • Options
    Just because you'd have loads of money left after tax, has no bearing on whether it was right or proper for the money to have been taken from you in the first place.

Tax is tax, you either believe its a needed evil or you think there shouldnt be any at all. I'm not really sure the moral argument comes into it at all this to me seems to be one of the least unfair taxes around it only takes from people who can afford it and who are getting a big fat cheque.
  • Options
    Its seems to me like the people that wont have to worry about this tax are the people that seem all for it,
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    Its seems to me like the people that wont have to worry about this tax are the people that seem all for it,

Nobody has to worry about this tax, because only those who can (easily) afford it are asked to pay it. It'd be like saying someone's worried about the tax they have to pay on their lottery win - I think the million pounds they're getting might soften the blow a bit.
  • Options

Shock horror its a tax which takes from those who can afford it and gives to those that cant - surely thats the whole point of tax?

If you earnt £300K would you expect to be taxed on it?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Shock horror its a tax which takes from those who can afford it and gives to those that cant - surely thats the whole point of tax?

If you earnt £300K would you expect to be taxed on it?

Hmm, actually, wouldn't you be taxed exactly 40% on it incidentally?

The Tory idea basically means that rather than someone who inherits a million pound house getting £720,000, they're now getting £1m. God, I can't believe the poverty. I'm sure the extra £280k will help them put food on the table through winter.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Tax is tax, you either believe its a needed evil or you think there shouldnt be any at all. I'm not really sure the moral argument comes into it at all this to me seems to be one of the least unfair taxes around it only takes from people who can afford it and who are getting a big fat cheque.

I'm not taking a polar stance on tax. I'm also not arguing against inheritance tax. What i am saying is: How much your left with after tax, doesn't validate a tax.
  • Options
    then why not tax 40% of everything? so everyone would have to pay?
  • Options
    Hmm, actually, wouldn't you be taxed exactly 40% on it incidentally?

As good as, because everything over the £36K mark would indeed be 40% - and with this you dont even have to turn up at an office everyday.

But this tax is to do with houses, and as the Daily Mail tells us our houses are virtually the most important thing ever.
  • Options

There are personal tax allowances for income tax so I think it is right to have one here too, I just think £600K is too high.
  • Options

Because under a certain amount (at the moment judged to be £300k) you'd be preventing plenty of people from ever being able to get on the housing ladder. It's good for affordable housing to be available to as many people as possible, so anything under £300k is a decent benchmark for tax-free homes. Anything more than that, and you shouldn't have a problem selling the house to pay your tax bill and buying something more affordable, and it means that no matter how much you inherit, you should still be able to afford to buy a house, because you'll always have at least £300k.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, the tax bill is only levied against the excess over £300,000, not on the whole amount. And I fail to see why the estate shouldn't make a contribution to the state, to help those who have less money.

£300,000, even down south, is a large amount of money. It's more than three times the value of my home, which is a fairly nice house in a fairly nice part of town.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    And the people in the middle are still fucked anyway. I earn a decent wage and a third of it at least is gone before it gets to the bank. Robbing bastards.

Were you not paying attention when they told you who your employer was?

I don't mind paying tax on my wages. I- like you- am paid by the Government, so complaining about tax seems a bit ridiculous.