Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stephen Fry: HIV and Me.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What a good programme.

I never set about to watch it, but started watching as I was flicking through the channels.

I don't really know much about HIV etc, but found the programme really informative and educational.

I just cant believe the way some people react to those with the virus. They way some of the subjects of the documentary were treated by others in the community was awful. :(

Guess I'm quite surprised that people some people view those with HIV so negatively.

Anyway good TV, anyone else see it?

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    He has HIV?
  • Options
    Nope. But apparently he's known a lot of people who've suffered with it.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    What a good programme.

I never set about to watch it, but started watching as I was flicking through the channels.

I don't really know much about HIV etc, but found the programme really informative and educational.

I just cant believe the way some people react to those with the virus. They way some of the subjects of the documentary were treated by others in the community was awful. :(

I saw it and agree.

The scary thing is that infection is rising so rapidly, mainly in the heterosexual community, and people still seem oblivious to the risk. Many tens of thousands of people are walking around in the UK today, completely unaware that they have HIV.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    He has HIV?

He had a HIV test onscreen and it came back as negative.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    The scary thing is that infection is rising so rapidly, mainly in the heterosexual community, and people still seem oblivious to the risk. Many tens of thousands of people are walking around in the UK today, completely unaware that they have HIV.

Its interesting that your suprised people are oblivious to the risk or at least choose to ignore it - especially with the sheer number of young people on this site who say they have sex without a condom.

Yes HIV infection is maintainable in most cases but there are people who have strains of the virus which does not respond to the medication, which was pointed out by this programme. I think the figure was about 40,000 people in the USA who have HIV which is currently unresponsive to treatment who will suffer and die because of this infection.
  • Options
    I wanted to watch it but frankly I was a coward and watched something else insted.

As for HIV, I've heard it said that the modern drugs are actually quite bad for infection rates, people dont see people dying from AIDS much anymore so its not seen as scary. Didnt an alarming number of young people in a survey recently think there was a cure?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I wanted to watch it but frankly I was a coward and watched something else insted.

Same here, don't particularly want to see how i'm going to end up.
  • Options
    Yikes RS, you joke but it must be scarey. I would be scared. HIV really freaks me out. I've been tested for it a few times and the wait has been horrendous, so much so that I never really felt the relief of a negative result.