Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is this actually any better than tagging/graffiti?

Apologies for the source...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005300000-2007410233,00.html

Fucking awful, that is. :mad:

Nearly as bad as our willingness to sell just about anything for a quick buck.

At least graffiters don't have commercial interests at heart.

Pathetic.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah the joys of capitalism! :love: :yeees:
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with a privately owned charity selling advertising space.
  • Options
    However there is a lot wrong with where the advert is placed.
  • Options
    Its their bridge and the trust has to be able to raise funds to maintain all its structures properly. If it doesnt look nice then don't walk over it.
  • Options
    I really like it. Think it looks cool. Im going to make a point of walking over that bridge now.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Its their bridge and the trust has to be able to raise funds to maintain all its structures properly.
    As if it really needed that to keep the bridge maintained...
    If it doesnt look nice then don't walk over it.
    And presumably if I don't like a St. Paul's Cathedral with giant Nike adverts plastered over its dome and McDonalds posters covering its walls I just need to look the other way and not visit it?

What a profoundly sad and depressing world we live in when the only consideration ever is to make money, and the hell with anything else regardless of its beauty/importance/heritage/etc.

What odious, repellent, soul-destroying, fucking ugly system capitalism really is.
  • Options
    I think its an improvement and looks rather good. Not all advertising is intrinsically bad.

I wouldn't want to see St Pauls with an advert on it, but Times Square would look a lot worse without them.
  • Options
    The Millennium Bridge is a beautiful and graceful structure and the shiny 'polished silver' effect floor is part of its charm. Apart from the wider issue of the ethics of such actions, I myself see the advertisement display as indescribably tacky and completely incompatible with such a structure. But that's just me I guess.
  • Options
    Looking at the pictures I wouldn't have been able to tell it was an advert unless told. To me it just looks like pictures of money on a bridge, I can't see any signs of Mastercard or anything which would tell me that its designed to make me get Paypass

Ok if I saw it live there may be more obvious signs, but currently it looks rather nice and quite a clever design.
  • Options
    I fear the complaints have more to do with it advertising Mastercard than anything else. Would people still be objecting if it was pictures of missing persons plastered over the bridge?

Would it then still be a blot on the landscape. :confused:
  • Options
    istockphoto_223497_money_is_the_root_of_all_evil.jpg
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I fear the complaints have more to do with it advertising Mastercard than anything else. Would people still be objecting if it was pictures of missing persons plastered over the bridge?

Would it then still be a blot on the landscape. :confused:
    It would to me. Advertising is advertising. It belongs on billboards, TV and newspapers, not on landmarks.
  • Options
    agreed.

Also, the idea of 'waving a magic wand' and just selecting all these trinkets, seems a little worrying