Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Racial Tension

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think often people with any sort of difference can fear what they dont understand. As well as that, once one incident occurs that could entice racial tension it tends to snowball and get worse and worse. Its one of those conflicts where both "sides" BELIEVES they are right and neither will back down.
  • Options
    Yes;

In respect to Muslim Communities, try: Muslim Britain: Communities Under Pressure; Abbas, T. (ed), 2005.

If you want a good example of how migration and settlement affects tensions between communities in the long run, try;

Whereever Green is Worn - Tim Pat Coogan (2000)

In the modern context, the major waves of migration to Britain have been the Irish of the 50s/60s and later in the 1980s; and the South Asian migrants during the 1950s/60s and East African Asians during the 1970s (particularly after Idi Amin expelled the business owning Asians from Uganda).

What Kermit's point flags up is that, the social and economic conditions of the sending regions will have quite an affect upon the experience of the diaspora. For example; the general profile of Indian Muslims and East African Asian Muslims is drastically different from that of Bangladeshi and Pakistani migrants.

Indian Muslims, for example, would often have come from areas where there were developed market economies and educational institutions. Thus the knowledge and skills of business and education disposed them favorably to establishing themselves in Britain; hence your 1970s derrived stereotype of Indian cornershops.

By contrast the Pakistani and Bangladeshi groups often came from poorer rural sending regions (such as Sylat, and Azad Kashmir). Thus their experience, usually of unskilled labour or work in northern mills and factories, was quite different.
  • Options
    most 'tension' is caused by people who like to rule by divide and conquer ie self appointed 'community leaders' and people with bigger agendas than a quick grasp of power
  • Options
    Brighton, where i'm currently living, is about the most relaxed place i've ever experienced in regard to relations, race or otherwise.

:yes: Definately, which is why I love it so much.

However, Brighton and Sussex in general is fairly wealthy in comparison to northern cities like Bradford, and Whites are still in the vast majority despite more and more ethnic families moving down here, espescially in Brighton.
    Because of this, there is no reason for hatred of other races to grow.
  • Options
    most 'tension' is caused by people who like to rule by divide and conquer ie self appointed 'community leaders'

There is more than a little truth in that, although I think that to say it is the source of 'most' tension might be going too far.

The MCB seemingly came out of nowhere to 'represent' the 'British Muslim Community' after 9/11 and 7/7, and there are some question over how and where they came to this prominence, and also over their membership.
  • Options
    Really ?

All my school books have always been like one black kid one white girl one white boy one asian kid and i remember maths questions would always be like ..

12. Ahmed bought twelve sweets and gave three to his friend Lucy and gave two his friend Mei Ling how many would he have left ?

Back to the tension bit ... where i live its like the english stick together like white people and black people (although theres a bit of hate between towns and that which is really sad but colour doesnt seem to matter) .. Asian people stick together and theres tension from white people .. and then theres the polish and i think most people seem to have tension with them.

yes that's called advertising to every group possible
  • Options
    I just think that the people in Bradford should unite and fight against the common enemy - Leeds.
  • Options
    Wrexham had riots and there's a lot of racism there (as well as sexism and homophobia). It's a working class white man's town and there isn't really a great deal to do...

I remember the riots in 2003 (I think), when it was perceived that the Kurdish Asylum seekers were being treated better than native British people. Funnily enough, they day after it happened... Just like the day after the London bombings the BNP were dragging their knuckles around Wrexham town centre with their hateful leaflets.

I do blame media influence, but I can see too how tensions can be made worse by people on the left (or who claim to be) in their attitudes. For example, some gay rights activists who criticised far right Islamic terrorists for preaching homophobia were put on a website similar to Redwatch, only for people who are apparently Islamophobic.

The fact is that we live in a system which exploits people as it is and not everybody has the access to resources to educate themselves and there are political groups and media companies who will use this for their own gain sadly...

I think also that racism is very complicated. Not only is it institutionalised, I think that a lot of people are subconsciously racist and that it is different to being malisciously racist... If that makes sense.
  • Options
    a nice quote from redwatch

Some of the demonstrators pictured on these pages may be taking part in anti-war or anti-Zionist demonstrations. We feel we must state our position here: As White Nationalists we also stand opposed to the recent war crimes committed against the Lebanese people by the Zionist terrorists occupying Palestine, we are opposed to the occupation of Iraq and the U.S. government's bases in Europe, but these people pictured on these demonstrations are Marxists and would just as easily be taking part in a demonstration against the BNP. They see the crisis in the Middle East as being just another excuse to gain new recruits. Can you imagine anyone openly representing a White Nationalist organisation being welcomed on anti-Zionist or anti-war demonstrations such as the ones featured on Redwatch? Indeed, members of Nationalist parties have been physically ejected when attending such demonstrations recently, and these reds are the people that claim we're 'anti-democratic'!

lol
  • Options
    When it comes to their stance on Israel far-left and far-right extremists are sometimes indistinguishable. Indeed, they are often intertwined. Anti-Semites like Gilad Atzmon are championed by the SWP, the BNP and other neo-nazis...

Atzmon who the SWP has defended even closely associates himself with the notorious anti-Semite, Israel Shamir. Shamir believes in an alliance of the far-right and far-left...

More disturbingly he believes in all sorts of bizarre anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    When it comes to their stance on Israel far-left and far-right extremists are sometimes indistinguishable. Indeed, they are often intertwined. Anti-Semites like Gilad Atzmon are championed by the SWP, the BNP and other neo-nazis...

yes i know, in politics it isn't really a spectrum, more of a circle with centre on the opposite side to the extreme left and right parties :thumb:

my post previously was off topic i just found it amusing
  • Options
    Racism is still as prevalent today as it has always been, I suspect. The only difference is people are far more careful as to where they voice their real feelings. I think television is a big factor in this. If you go back to the 1970s, for example, it was perfectly normal to hear jokes on the TV about "w**s" and "Pa**s". Indeed, there is an episode of Only Fools and Horses from the mid-1980s which starts with Uncle Albert saying "P*ki shop won't let us have nothing on credit". Can you really imagine that line appearing on My Family? Somehow, I think not!
  • Options
    This is random but Ive been thinking and I reckon theres quite a lot of tension between races in England.

My family especially my grandparents don't really like foriengers and some of their views are quite harsh and some of my friends are like that too.

Do you think theres tension where you are and why do you reckon there is tension ?

It all depends where you live and how well off people are.

If everyone's doing fine then there's usually very little racism, if people are struggling to make ends meet then they band into their subgroups.
  • Options
    I think you get racial tension almost everywhere, but i do believe it is worse in some areas than others.

My sister is half-cast and for about ten years (on and off) she was abused because of this. There was endless times i would walk down the street with her and have to face her being called a ni**er or something similar. Moreso there were endless times I'd have to help her as she got jumped by up to 10 people at a time.

However , we moved area for a while and the abuse stopped, (which is why i say it is worse in some places than others). Now the family has moved back to the area we were at (excluding my sister who lives elsewhere), and my brother sometimes gets the same treatment. He isn't coloured but just tans VERY easily, and there are times he will be called a p*ki or similar.

Its strange though, because when we moved away. My sister didn't get taunted, but others did. We had pakistani's who lived on the same street, and they were one of the niicest families i know, however they were driven out by a family of gypsies who weekly would abuse them by either name calling or window breaking.

I think every area has a target to blame for their misfortunes, and they pick on whichever group is the minority group in that area. Very sad that this happens to this day.
  • Options
    I dont really feel any/much racial tension in Colchester. Its mainly white but its a university town and a lot of foreign students around most of the year and in Lennys class at school theres at least 5 or 6 kids of various differing nationalities in a class of about 25, so not as mixed as somewhere like london, but still enough to see all sorts. Seem to have a fairly high chinese population too.

I dont think theres really any tension or trouble between any different groups thankfully.