Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lump on dogs back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just found a lump on my dogs back. She's just turned 7. I'm a bit worried because one of our other dogs had cancer and had to be put down for it. Just looking for any reassurance because i'm really worried. :(

Comments

• Options
    Go to the vets, only way of knowing.
  • Options
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Go to the vets, only way of knowing.

We're going to, but until then...
  • Options
    It could be Lipomas which are fat deposits under the skin and are nothing to worry about. Either way i would take him/her to the vets to have it checked out and they will probably do a needle biopsy to find out what it is.
  • Options
  • Options
    What do they feel like? This seems to be quite hard and its raised. She doesn't seem to mind when I press though.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    What do they feel like? This seems to be quite hard and its raised. She doesn't seem to mind when I press though.

Usually they are soft to the touch, sometimes moveable, and are generally painless.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Usually they are soft to the touch, sometimes moveable, and are generally painless.

Oh dear. :( She better not be going gammy on us - she's got loads of years left yet. My aunties springer is still going at 13!
  • Options
    My old dog had loads of lumps on him that never seemed to bother him- I wouldn't worry too much. My rabbit is 10 and he has loads of lumps too, but all the time he's in good health I won't take him to the vets cos I figure the treatment must be pretty nasty for cancer :( if your dog is showing any signs of being unwell, straight the vets, no doubt. If they're ok, still eating weel, interested in going for walks etc, I wouldn't worry :)
  • Options
    Go to the vets straight away.
    My little baby had to be put down today. She became ill 2 weeks ago but got better a few days ago, woke up today and she'd had a fit :(
    I'm in pieces.
    Go straight away, preying your doggy is ok.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    My little baby had to be put down today. She became ill 2 weeks ago but got better a few days ago, woke up today and she'd had a fit :(
    I'm in pieces.

Ah Vicky, I'm so sorry. I was a state when Sam was put down. Still get very tearful thinking about him, and he died back in March :crying: I'm really sorry sweetheart *hugs*
  • Options
    I'm in pieces.

aaw :( We're taking her tomorrow, i'm hoping it's nothing serious. 7 seems too young for tumours. Apart from the lump she's fine, she's all bouncy and eating etc.
  • Options
    I'm in pieces.

Oh Vicky that's horrible :(. My old dog died in a similar way to that. She got poisoned by something she picked up while on a walk and had a fit on the day before Christmas Eve, the vet thought it was epilepsy so gave her drugs for that. But the drugs hid the real results of her kidney tests and then the day after Boxing Day her lung collapsed. They told us she was getting better on Christmas Day, so we went to see her on Boxing Day. It was horrible.

*many hugs for you*
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Ballerina I'm sure things will be fine.

Mesha was only 6. she had a scan today and she was riddled with vicious tumours, putting her to sleep was the only thing we could do.

I've lost 3 dogs in 2 yrs now. We always say never again! But we always seem to home rescue dogs because people know we care.

My phone's broke too with all the photos of her :(

Sorry Ballerina, like someone else said, dogs have lumps and bumps all over the place. Mine always have.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My doggie had a cyst on his back. It was just left there as it didn't do any harm (under vets advice). But you would need to go to the vet to find out. Tis the only way :)
  • Options
    shes going tomorrow
  • Options
    Yup, mine's got a big, harmless fatty lump too. Although to look at her, you might say all of her was a big, harmless fatty lump.
  • Options
    Ohh, really sorry VV.