Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drink Driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A guy i know has been convicted of this however he wasn't pulled over on the road he was in a ditch trying to push it out.

If it wasn't for his stupidity when it came to being asked what had happened by the copper could there had been a chance he could have got away with it if he had said he had done it earlier on in the day and had came back to try and get it out?

Also to arrest someone does there have to be two coppers present?

All this is just out of interest, the guy is pretty much fucked when it comes to his licence and what not i just thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Options
    squeal wrote: »
    could there had been a chance he could have got away with it if he had said he had done it earlier on in the day and had came back to try and get it out?

Being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle is an offence. Even if you are asleep in the back.
    Also to arrest someone does there have to be two coppers present?

No.
    All this is just out of interest, the guy is pretty much fucked when it comes to his licence and what not i just thought I'd ask.

Tough shit eh?
  • Options
    A guy i know has been convicted of this however he wasn't pulled over on the road he was in a ditch trying to push it out..

So out of curiosity what was he planning on doing after he had pushed the car out of a ditch?

Really if he was pissed enough to have been done for drink driving he shouldn't have been anywhere near his car, and the copper did absolutely the right thing.
  • Options
    I didn't realise that, sounds a bit extreme even if asleep though.

And in reply to the tough shit, it was said as if i care which i don't, the guy i a dick and deserves to lose it. It just made me wonder that was all.
  • Options
    Being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle is a strict liability offence anyway- even if your drinks were spiked you are still guilty.

Drink drivers are vermin anyway.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    So out of curiosity what was he planning on doing after he had pushed the car out of a ditch?

He was turning around to take someone home and reversed into the ditch so once out would have continued to where he was heading.

Before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick i do not agree with drink driving whatsoever and thought all of them in the car deserved to be locked up for the night not just the driver as it was a stupid thing to do and of course they all could have ended up dead. Idiots.
  • Options
    It's quite a good thing that all he did was fuck his car and his licence up, and not someone else's life.

He might have got away with it if he said he did it earlier, but he's still drunk in charge. You've also got to ask why were the police there in the first place, probably because a member of public has rang up saying some drunken idiot has just reversed into a ditch.

You don't have to have 2 officers present to arrest someone, just makes life easier for us if there are.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    It's quite a good thing that all he did was fuck his car and his licence up, and not someone else's life.

He might have got away with it if he said he did it earlier, but he's still drunk in charge. You've also got to ask why were the police there in the first place, probably because a member of public has rang up saying some drunken idiot has just reversed into a ditch.

You don't have to have 2 officers present to arrest someone, just makes life easier for us if there are.
    I thought you were a PCSO - therefore can't make arrests?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    A couple of times I've been caught drunk in charge listening to music after walking out the pub, but I've always been given the benifit of the doubt and walked home. It's definatley an area where a copper can use his discretion.

I think if your caught pushing your car out the ditch and you blow a positive breath test, your fucked. It's pretty fucking obvious what's gone on there.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    I thought you were a PCSO - therefore can't make arrests?

Depends on the area you work. My force has designated us with the required powers to do so, ie power to detain, power to use force and power of search for prohibited articles.

Other forces they rely on citizen's arrest, and then may be "discouraged" from using them.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Depends on the area you work. My force has designated us with the required powers to do so, ie power to detain, power to use force and power of search for prohibited articles.

Other forces they rely on citizen's arrest, and then may be "discouraged" from using them.

Yeh, but after you've 'detained' somebody, do you then have to wait for a copper to turn up and do the arresting?
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Yeh, but after you've 'detained' somebody, do you then have to wait for a copper to turn up and do the arresting?

After we've detained someone we can either
    1)Let them go once we've established who they are, ie they produce ID
    2)Take them to a police station
    3)hand them over to a cop

Not much different than if a PC on foot arrests someone, he or she will still need the assistance of an officer to come with a van/car to transport them.

Power to detain is virtually the same as a PC's power of arrest with some exemptions. A citizen's power of arrest is far more restrictive and not one we use very much