Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what happens if...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You freeze a packet of prawns, which clearly state on the packet that they are not suitable for home freezing, then cook them and eat them?

food poisening?

(its not me who's eaten them btw)

Comments

• Options
    Blah wrote:
    You freeze a packet of prawns, which clearly state on the packet that they are not suitable for home freezing, then cook them and eat them?

food poisening?

(its not me who's eaten them btw)
    It depends why they weren't suitable for home freezing... it could just be that the texture would be harmed in the same way that freezing and defrosting a strawberry can turn it to mush.
  • Options
    Some food says that when it's already been frozen, in transport for instance. I dunno what the worst case senario is, best case is- any buys were killed in cooking and eator will be fine :)
  • Options
    i beleive the consumer will swell up and turn blue..much like the girl on charlie and the chocolate factory...:lol:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You'll be alright.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Some food says that when it's already been frozen, in transport for instance.

:yes: This is mainly why, food doesnt freeze good twice.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You'll be alright.

yeh i know, probably because im not the one who's eaten the prawns
  • Options
    The world explodes and we all die! Hahhahahahha wise up and use ur common sensce u nutter!
  • Options
    Well if they had been previously frozen and I had eaten them I would expect to be quite unwell. But since we don't know if this is the case, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Well prawns are frozen as soon as they are caught on the boat otherwise they go off super duper quick, expect some are then taken out and chilled to sell on fresh counters and then the rest of them are usually cooked and then frozen. Were these prawns allready cooked, or were they raw?
    I would think it would be to do with the fact that by freezing them again you might damage them, like taste and texture wise, but you could always google a medical journal thing just to be on the safe side. But freezing and unfreezing food gives bactaria a chance to grow and stuff, so i would make sure they didn't bother doing that again next time :p
  • Options
    It's really bad if you do it with icecream, and rice has some nasty bugs that grow if you're not careful with reheating. Has your friend exploded yet?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Has your friend exploded yet?

Ha, I was wondering that too...

Prawns are notoriously dodgy as far as defrosting/refreezing/use by dates etc are concerned. If in doubt, it's always better to chuck them out. My ex had a absolutely crippling bout of food poisoning from reheating defrosted prawns.
  • Options
    my cousin got salmonella from a prawn sandwich from a bakery once. Prawns and all seafood are risky wrt food poisoning. If hes not ill yet, then hes probably got away with it tho
  • Options
    I ate some prawns last week that had been frozen, defrosted and refrozen - I was fine, but I didn't realise at the time that I'd been playing Russian Roulette with my guts...