Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

temporary work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is similar to another post at the moment, but thought I'd go ahead and ask anyways!

What kind of job can I get that wants me only till the end of the summer and only includes week days? I've tried retail, and bar work but they seem already kitted out with all their summer staff. Checked the recruitment section in our paper and nothing! Tis a bit of a bummer. The reason I didn't find a job at the start of the summer was because I already have one, but my boss isn't giving me anymore hours like she promised :grump:

Comments

• Options
    You could look into a temping agency. Some jobs may be only for a couple weeks, a couple months, and if the time has come for you to stop working and you still have a job it's much easier than quitting a perm job. You should even be able to tell the person helping you that you can only work till a certian day and when that comes, you won't have to give a notice or anything, as they would have informed the place you are working at already.
  • Options
    I feel your pain :(. The few places I looked that needed staff said it was too late for summer people - even the agencies. I have one final option, but I think I may have to go back to McD's.
  • Options
    I think some agencies put false adverts in their windows in order to get more people on their books. Me and 3 of my friends signed up for the same agency in the middle of June because they had lots of temporary work in advertised.

Yet none of us have heard anything back and the jobs are still advertised even though when we first saw them they were imediate starts. We tested it out the other day by ringing the angency in question and asking about temporary work only to be told their isnt any, what a joke.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I feel your pain :(. The few places I looked that needed staff said it was too late for summer people - even the agencies. I have one final option, but I think I may have to go back to McD's.

I know. I feel really annoyed aswell because I would have applied earlier but my boss at the current weekend job I do now said she would give me more hours, and hasn't. I'm thinking about telesales because that's my only option, but I don't know if they'll want me for just 2 months:( and it's going to take a couple of weeks for the whole application and interview process. :banghead:
  • Options
    Join the club people. You and every other student in the country are in it! (myself included).
    I did the whole agency thing, got turned down flat from about 3 different agencies before one was actually interested, all i got at the others was (as soon as i walked through the door) "are you a student?" 'yes' "sorry we dont have anything" bunch of pricks mostly but i went into a branch of office angels and they're actually a really good agency. They've actually kept me up to date with job openings and ring me quite a bit to see if im interested in working them (most are pretty out of my way but still its better than having to chase them up all the time).
    I'm on a placement at the moment, its only for one week but its better than nothing and im not complaining to be on £6 for just filing and being a general office drone.
    I've also been trying to get night time work (or day, whatever really) in a bar somewhere but no luck on that front, they all want pre-trained staff or pre-age 21 staff so they dont have to pay them as much i think.
    Still, ive kinda rambled a bit..been doing that a lot tonight im affraid..i guess my point is, just keep on at the agencies, they will get you work eventually especially if you tell them you are open to any type job in any location (obviously that you can get to).
    Good luck with the job hunt!
  • Options
    I started looking at the end of march and it took me about 5 weeks to find a job. I've gone through an agency, but it took 3 weeks just to start when they'd agreed the job for me.

Unfortunately I think it might be a bit late now for the whole summer, but you might be able to get a few weeks in august and september. But then again, one of my friends is getting lots of calls about interviews because she just spammed stuff out.

I signed up for loads of agencies before I found this job. Most of them were offering jobs and then the jobs never got a response. 'The position has already been filled' - but they asked me to come in yesterday for it?!

My job is ace now though :cool: