Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Houseguests from hell

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Our latest ranter has got a bee in her bonnet about ungrateful guests. I actually love having friends to stay for the weekend and don't expect them to pay for anything. But hey ho, we all have different expectations don't we! Read about Stephanies hellish experience here: http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/rants/ungratefulguests :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I invited people to stay, I would buy food before they got there and would not ask for any money from them. But most friends would bring a bottle of wine or something with them.

It tends to balance out if you stay at each others houses every now and then.

Or they could have just eaten out, and then wouldn't have had to worry about paying.

I'd also plan stuff to do, if they didn't know the town/city I lived, I would like to show them the best bits.

Also, wouldn't you just wash up after they had gone?

ah I dunno. I only tend to have one person over at a time, lots of people messing my place up probably would annoy me.
  • Options
    Article wrote:
    "The feeling of being self-reliant and grown-up was fading fast and I quickly learned that with independence comes great responsibility."

Obnoxious, self absorbed tit.

You had a couple of friends over, how the <random profanity> can you consider that to be "great responsibility"? :banghead: I'm actually feeling angry you consider a fucking dinner party a sign of "great responsibility", damn it wasn't even a dinner party, just a couple of buddys stopping over.

Granted they appeared a little unpolite, but when with friends, people you are comfortable around do you feel the need to endlessly say "Thank you, ever so much" at ever turn?
  • Options
    I have to say what a whinge bag. (I'm trying to be polite).

If I have mates to stay from uni I expect to entertain them, I'd offer some suggestions for what to do while they were there, I'd expect to cook, I'd expect to clean up and wash up and if it had been a late night and I was still asleep when they were ready to go I'd be more than happy for them to leave me sleeping.

Yeah it's nice if people muck in, but I don't expect it if I've invited them to visit, especially if they've travelled to get there, I usually take that as their contribution to the weekend.
  • Options
    Her article sounds like a bit of a massive overreaction to me. But I do know what she means about gratitude. I'd want someone to thank me for having them, or making them food they enjoyed or whatever, if they felt thankful for it. It's important to me to thank people for things they do for me to show that I am grateful, and luckily, it's important to my friends too. We eat each others food, wear each others clothes, steal (well, borrow) each others stuff all the time, I'd go round to a friend's and eat and drink and not pay for it, but they'd do the same at mine. And we always thank each other.

I don't see what the big deal with that is- unless maybe the girl who wrote the article is annoyed because she feels like her friends wouldn't do the same for her as she did for them if she went to stay at their gaff.
  • Options
    I have to say what a whinge bag. (I'm trying to be polite).

Oh i couldn't agree more but with added profanities :p

I mean come on they're guests FFS. You don't expect them to help out or pay, well at least i don't. You don't say 'Oooo do you fancy coming over for the weekend ? and by the way you'll have to chip in for the food and help clear up' :rolleyes:

Anyway, from reading it, it wasn't a rant about houseguests it was a rant about having stupid pricks as friends so more fool her if she keeps them.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    To be honest, I think it is rude that they didnt say goodbye and thanks for having them and what not.
    Granted about paying, you shouldnt expect it, but you should always offer just from being polite.

However, if you are going to invite guests to stay, then you should be hospitable, and therefore not expect them to do dishes etc.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    However, if you are going to invite guests to stay, then you should be hospitable, and therefore not expect them to do dishes etc.

Indeed. When I've stayed over my friend's house, he would've cooked breakfast and stuff and we'd end up helping him tidy up. (because both times I've stayed over, we've had a party) However, he didn't actually ask us to do so.
  • Options
    Tbh, actions speak louder than words, and I'm pretty sure that if the OP was that pissed off during the weekend, I'm sure her guests would have been able to tell. In that instance, if I was in her situation, not only would I have left without saying goodbye, I would have tried to sneak out a la SAS style, making sure I don't run the risk of waking up the lady of the house as she's probably dreaming of working out how much I owed when I dropped a crumb of food on the specially bought and ironed tablecloth (which by the way, cost £15)

The fact that she can't wait to exact her 'revenge' just shows that she's pretty bitter, immature and rather unpleasant. Build a bridge and get over it.
  • Options
    if she was that bothered about them not helping clean up, she could've asked FFS. she supposed to be mature :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I can sympathise with her if they weren't good friends or they knew that they didn't have much money, but it does come across as being very self-absorbed. That said, I'd be pissed if I'd spent all my money on the booze and didn't get helped at all, and barely even got thanked.

If there's a lesson to be learned, its only ever invite good friends to stay. I don't mind subsidising my friends who have no money, because we have money, but I'd be pissed off if it was all take and no give on their part. Not everything has a monetary value, and they do sound like ungrateful sods.
  • Options
    When I have friends over, if I can't afford to feed or wine them, I say- that way there's no bad feelings. If I have the wine, then they can drink it, when I go to my good friend's houses and I'm hungry I pick through the fridge and just shout through to the lounge if anything is needed for packing lunchboxes before I gobble. I sometimes help wash up at my mate's house, sometimes they do at mine. I don't care if they don't though. When my friends do something to annoy me I tell them- this morning I growled 'you're so fucking annoying' at a friend who'd pushed my clean clothes onto the floor, then I said it didn't matter, because it didn't, and climbed into bed with her to nurse our hangovers. Always better to just SAY if you want something done a different way...
  • Options
    The only thing I can sympathise with is the guest taking their beer back home with them - who brings drink to someone's house and then brings it home like?! Then again, if the writer is as arsey as she seems, they probably didn't want to leave her their beer!
  • Options
    Ooh, now I am dreading having people over to my new flat in a fortnight!

Actually no, I don't have shit friends like that so it's fine.
  • Options
    why invite people to stay if you expect them to pay etc?

she obviously doesnt know the meaning of the words "guest" "host" but more importantly "mates"
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »

:yes: Asking them to pay is out of order, IMO.
  • Options
    Dang, this girl has a lot of growing up to do.
  • Options
    wtf - she's over reacting. It sounds like she got too hyped up over entertaining guests in the first place. They're only mates. I can see her point about not saying thanks but apart from that I don't know what she's moaning about. Someone was sick in her sink - would she rather it have been on the carpet? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sick in the sink is not nice. I have had to clean it up before. Far better to go in the toilet where all evidence can be flushed away.
  • Options
    Only thing I'd be pissed off with is them not saying goodbye. Other than that, "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?" I mean, what 21 year old uni student makes chocolate brownies for a weekend party? :shocking:

Oh and vomit in the sink is a cunt, happened a few times in our gaff last year and it's not pleasant to look at or clean.
  • Options
    Ahhhhhh. C'mon. Good chocolate brownies rule the life of any decent female uni student, the Sainsburys ones are ok, but nothing beats good home made ones.

Right, now fess up. Who wrote it?!:p
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Right, now fess up. Who wrote it?!:p

I was thinking that...I dont recognice the pic :p
  • Options
    what a stuck up cunt, ill make sure never to go to a party in her house!

and how could they have left without saying bye? i mean... everoyne just got up and walked out in silence? the borin cunt probably just added it in to make her story sound 'better'!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »

I don't think its a case of expecting them to pay, and her house guests do sound extraordinarily presumptive and very very rude, to be quite honest.

It's not that I'd expect guests to get down on bended knee and kiss my feet (though I'm all ears if they want to), but a thank you might be nice. And it's not like I expect them to come bearing more gifts than the Three Wise Men, but a bottle of Bulgarian plonk and some Twiglets wouldn't go amiss.

Sounds like these "friends" were rather more take than give, and this girl really does have a point. If she was whingeing about her friends always ducking their round at the pub she wouldn't be getting slagged off, and its exactly the same principle.
  • Options
    the writer complained about not being able to decide what to do that night but sounds like they could have made the decision for them and they'd all be happy.

Also most people I can think of would have done the shopping in advance rather then planned to make use of their guest's car.

Seem to be fault on both side really.