Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Staying at his.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going up to Manchester in a couple of weeks to stay with the boy. Now I've been to stay with him a few time while he was at uni and obviously that's not a problem, me and him, one bed, all lovely and snuggly.

Catch is now he's back at home. I've never met his parents, ever. I've spoken to his mum, once for about 10 seconds when he wanted me to say hi to her on the phone. He seems to think us sharing a bed at his isn't likely to go down to well, which I have no problem with, if he came here I doubt it would either.

However, his current plan is that the story goes that I'm sleeping on the floor in his room, which will keep everyone happy, and if I end up in his bed for a 'cuddle' so be it.

To my mind this is a rubbish plan, and I doubt for a second anyone is going to believe it. I also don't want to give his parents a bad impression.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I think if it was me i'd say to him i'd rather sleep in another room. Ok, so it means you won't get to share a bed, but it'll show his parents you're mature and making a good first impression is obviously important to you.
  • Options
    I agree with sugar, his parents would probably prefer it if you slept in a different room
  • Options
    Hmmm. I don't know what the other room option are, other than his 17 year old brother and I don't want to go anywhere near that :yuck:

I'm actually quite happy on the floor all night. If I'd ever met his parents this would be so much easier :banghead: Sleeping arrangements have never ever bothered me before, I've slept in tents, marquees, fields, halls, beds with people I've never met, kitchen floors, living room floors, bedroom floors. Most of those through Scout stuff or uni sports competitions. It's just trying to work out what the reasonable thing to do is....
  • Options
    Maybe on the sofa?
  • Options
    I don't get this, why don't parents like it, i've never gone to a ex gfs and got told we cant sleep in the same room and never happen at mine either (this is from 15 plus tbh) so I can't understand there problem

sorry for the mini hyjack
  • Options
    The parents and sleeping in the same room issue has always been one that made me laugh.

When I was living at home the rule was that boyfriends slept in the spare room... I could stay in the room until as late as I want and go back in as early as I liked but I was not allowed to sleep in the room - now... thinking about this logically - not a lot happens when your asleep :rolleyes: :D

Saying that, we did have a no sex rule that my brother educated me on one day when he deemed me old enough - I was a good girl with that :)

I stayed over at my parents house a couple of years ago with my boyfriend (now husband) who I was already living with at the time and there was a big hooha over getting permission to sleep in the same room! Apparently my parents were worried about my Grandma's reaction (who lived with them) - when asked she was dumbfounded at why they were even questioning it... no problem with her at all - parents are lovely but strange beings :D
  • Options
    I think that it is probably up to him and his parents to discuss where exactly you sleep. I can see your not wanting to sleep in his room problem - so maybe tell him you don't want to make a bad impression. But I guess its up to them where they make you sleep and what they are comfortable with so maybe tell him to put the ball in thier court.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I don't get this, why don't parents like it, i've never gone to a ex gfs and got told we cant sleep in the same room and never happen at mine either (this is from 15 plus tbh) so I can't understand there problem

I do know what you mean- I've never had an issue with it from the age of 16 really. How old are you and your other half, scary?
  • Options
    im 19, and my partners 22
  • Options
    We're both 20, and live away from home half the year at (different) uni during which time we can evidently sleep wherever we fancy.

Whenever I have anyone to stay; girl mates, guy mates, boyfriends, at home the standard expectation is that they sleep in the spare room, there are proper bunk beds in there and it's next door to my room. That's the way things have always been and I'm happy with that. Tend to spend most of the evening in my room and go our seperate ways to sleep.

Very similar arrangement to Splodgey really.

I'd leave him to sort it out with his parents but I suspect he's going to put this daft plan to them. I'm not the most honest person in the world, but would feel a bit bad being in on blatant lies.
  • Options
    but what I don't understand is, WHY don't these parents allow 2 concenting adults who are clearly serious bout each other, sleep together?
  • Options
    I have no idea!

I suspect if you asked them they wouldn't know either, just comes down to them being more comfortable with them not.
  • Options
    the whole "its our house our rules" thing, which i think if selfish
  • Options
    I don't really think it's selfish as such. I mean if I ever kicked up a fuss at home then I'm sure I'd get my way, but being as it's their house I want to respect their standards.
  • Options
    I don't really think it's selfish as such. I mean if I ever kicked up a fuss at home then I'm sure I'd get my way, but being as it's their house I want to respect their standards.

I agree, at the end of the day it IS their house and they shouldnt be made to feel uncomfortable in their own home. My parents let my last boyfriend sleep in my room but the first time he stayed he slept on my floor and they didnt make the decision lightly, if i had a different boyfriend every month they wouldnt be allowed to sleep in my room.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I think your best option would be for him to sleep downstairs on the sofa, and you be in his room. And don't be even tempted about the whole meeting up thing in the night...YOU WILL ALWAYS GET CAUGHT ;)

I can understand how some parents would be a bit funny, their kids are still their little babies in their eyes, and although they have possibly come to terms with the fact they may no longer be a virgin, its a case, "well it wont happen under my roof!"

Having said that, me and the fella share a bed, and always have done. I never gave my Dad a chance to say otherwise :p
  • Options
    Someone did point that people usually don't do stuff when they're asleep, but when I used to sleep next to my ex, we'd wake up and do stuff to each other when everyone else was asleep at his friend's house.

I can see if someone's under 18, but I think you should be able to sleep in the same room.
  • Options
    Get your fella to tell his mar he is gonna kip round a mates and then you two can get a hotel room..... or actually sleep round one of his mates.
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »

When I was living at home the rule was that boyfriends slept in the spare room... I could stay in the room until as late as I want and go back in as early as I liked but I was not allowed to sleep in the room - now... thinking about this logically - not a lot happens when your asleep :rolleyes: :D

Hah my exes parents had that rule when i was like 15. He used to stay in his bed till like 3, go to sleep in the other room then come back at like 6. Was so pointless!
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »

Same here. My parents wouldn't have a problem if I brought a guy back and he slept in my room with me......
  • Options
    Maybe my parents are more old school than all your's. Expecially my mum. She takes the 'not under my roof' line and there's no dissuading her from it. My ex's parents were the same until about 3 years into our relationship when they finally capitulated and bought her a double bed. Mine eventually gave in about a month before we broke up. I think it's a little weird, I guess. But then again, their mortgage, their rules.
  • Options
    Wow I've never had this problem with my parents. I remember when I was 17 and wanted to my boyfriend to stay over for the first time and there was a look of horror on my mum's face. But I just argued that it was legal a year ago and I could just go stay at his if I wanted. Its just something they need to get used to.
  • Options
    they're a bit naive if they really think you're sleeping on the floor!
  • Options
    When it comes down to it it's your boyfriend's job to sort out the sleeping arrangements at his place, and as long as him and his parents are happy with the arrangement that's cool and not really anything to get worried about - they weren't born yesterday and probably are aware that whatever is suggested, there's gonna be a bit of 'cuddling' somewhere along the line.

And I seriously doubt they'll be coming in to check up on you....