Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help Looking for a Car

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, after passing my test in November I still haven't got a car (what with paying for things with the house and my job being shitty about giving me extra hours)

Anyway, I've decided to try and get a car this summer and apply for new jobs so I need help in looking for a decent car.

I've been thinking of going to a car dealership and getting a second hand car but the insurance will surely be astronomical and I really don't think I could afford it.

My only other option is to buy a new car with a years free insurance but trying to find one is hard. I'll be 19 in August and I think the lowest is 21 :(

If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would be grateful :D

Comments

• Options
    Surely you'd save enough buying second hand to pay for the insurance? I reckon you're looking at at least £6k for a car that comes with a years free insurance. Whereas £5k would buy a great second hand car with enough for your insurance afterwards. I wouldn't touch a new car tbh, because the second you drive it off the forecourt, it'll have gone down by about a grand in value already.

I used Tesco's website and got tonnes of insurance quotes for different cars by just typing in the registration of cars I'd seen on Autotrader, just to get an idea of the different prices. Basically because I found the insurance groups to be pretty much bollocks. I drive an IG 9 car and was getting quoted less than most IG 4-6 cars. I don't know what the deal is with the free insurance, but I think the first thing to do would be at least come up with a list of cars you'd be interested in, and see how much they cost to insure. Then you know how good a deal the free insurance actually is. But personally, I'd go second hand ever time.

On the age restrictions though, a lot of the free insurance things only apply if you're over 21, but they offer a discounted rate of insurance for people younger than that instead (buying a new Corsa will give you insurance for £199 if you're 19 or 20 for example, and free if you're over 21).
  • Options
    If you do want a new car, you can have a look at trying to pick up a pre-registered one. They're always loads cheaper cause the dealerships need to get rid. Or some dealers will have special offers on certain models because there's been an f-up somewhere along the line. I just picked up a new car for £2500 less than the standard retail price because the were massively overstocked and needed to start making room for the new models. It actually cost me £1000 less than they were selling 2 or 3 year old versions of exactly the same car.

Generally a used car is better value, but there are definitely deals to be had out there! Plus I now don't have to worry about MOTs or maintenance for the next 3 years :D
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Hi, after passing my test in November I still haven't got a car (what with paying for things with the house and my job being shitty about giving me extra hours)

Anyway, I've decided to try and get a car this summer and apply for new jobs so I need help in looking for a decent car.

I've been thinking of going to a car dealership and getting a second hand car but the insurance will surely be astronomical and I really don't think I could afford it.

My only other option is to buy a new car with a years free insurance but trying to find one is hard. I'll be 19 in August and I think the lowest is 21 :(

If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would be grateful :D

I'm looking to sell my peugeot. Lovely clean little car, she's yours for £950 :D
  • Options
    Look at second hand, something with a pretty small engine will help bring the insurance down, as will a basic model rather than the boy racer one.

Look at some cars you may be interested in and whack em into the insurance searches online, that'll give you a very good idea.

It's worth looking at things like the Kias too...
  • Options
    Your first car, should ideally be a piece of crap with a small engine. I recommend a 1.1 Ford Fiesta, something like a T-reg. It'll cost you no more than a grand, won't cost the moon to pay for the insurance, and won't be too powerful that you can't handle it.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I'm looking to sell my peugeot. Lovely clean little car, she's yours for £950 :D

I've seen what they look like after a crash, no thanks :razz:

I'll definately try checking up on insurance first since I know what I'm looking for really. I'd like one of the newer model astras tbh so will look into that. All the other cars I like would be way too expensive plus the insurance would be ski high!
  • Options
    On a side note, it might be worth your while to sit the Pass Plus test if you haven't already and that could lower your insurance premiums by up to 40%.

It costs around the £130 but lots of insurers will offer substantial discounts for you having sat the test. (Also, there isn't actually a 'test' at the end of it, they just sign you off when they think you've got enough experience)
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    what about my fiesta? I'll pay you £50 to take her :(

Haha I was going to write the same!