Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

virus help please..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone here know how to get rid of this virus?
(apcht2kw.exe).............i can end task and my laptops back up to speed,but reapears on next boot up.....any advise would be a great help...thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    does anyone here know how to get rid of this virus?
    (apcht2kw.exe).............i can end task and my laptops back up to speed,but reapears on next boot up.....any advise would be a great help...thanks.
    Apparently, according to a google search and the results within it, it's part of Apache Webserver. Have you got that installed?
  • Options
    ApchT2kW.exe is a process which belongs to the Apache Web Server. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

If your laptop is very slow (I take it thats the problem because you said 'Up to speed') it doesn't mean you have a virus on your system.

Try:
    *Updating (you need Explorer for this) at http://update.microsoft.com/
    *Go to Start | My computer, right click on your hard drive, choose Properties and choose the Tools tab.
    Now try defragging your drive - basically this 'reorders' your hard drive so it runs more efficiently.
    *If you still have problems try looking for spyware and malicious software on your system. I reccomend Spybot S&D http: at www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ run the program and see if it will clear things up a bit.
    *To save on power, Laptops have utilities that allow it to run at a lower speed, look for such things as PowerNow! and tweak them until you are running at deseired performance.
    *Check your virtual memory - Virtual memory, your pagefile, is a lump of your hard drive assigned to assist your computer running programs. If you have little space on your drive your page file shrinks and it runs slower.
    *Check your hardware - anything with an old/conflicting driver should show up.
  • Options
    the laptop is only 6 months old and never used to have this running.the comp is very very slow until i end that process.its also hard to click on because it moves about in the task manager,thats what led me to think it was a virus.is there any way i can get rid of it for good?.....thanks for the help so far.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    its also hard to click on because it moves about in the task manager
    Well, if the task manager is being sorted by amount of memory being used, then it'll move as it uses different amounts of memory, like any other application. You can stop this by clicking on the column header and sorting the tasks by name.

As for uninstalling it, go to add/remove programs in control panel and if there's an entry for apache, get shot of it from there.
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Well, if the task manager is being sorted by amount of memory being used, then it'll move as it uses different amounts of memory, like any other application. You can stop this by clicking on the column header and sorting the tasks by name.

As for uninstalling it, go to add/remove programs in control panel and if there's an entry for apache, get shot of it from there.
    its not listed in add/remove programs.
  • Options
    Hmmm ok then....

Under program files is there an Apache folder? If not, is there a folder called COSIDS?
  • Options
    hah i have noticed recently instances of apache have been launched on my PC yet I havnt actually got round to installing it yet lol.
  • Options
    Are you able to find the file and delete it?

Is it listed as a service? SC DELETE [servicename]

Is it in the registry under hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run ?
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Hmmm ok then....

Under program files is there an Apache folder? If not, is there a folder called COSIDS?
    no,there doesnt seem to be anything related to it...ive installed all updates.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Are you able to find the file and delete it?

Is it listed as a service? SC DELETE [servicename]

Is it in the registry under hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run ?
    i dont realy know what you mean,im not that good with computers as you can probably tell.....basic knowledge only :)