Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Keeping secrets without meaning to

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
This is going to be weird...

There are some things about myself that I keep a secret from some people and not from others, not because I trust them less or anything like that but somehow subconsciously.
For example, the fact that I have two baby half-siblings, I've told some of my friends but not the others. And they're a year old now!
I think at first I didn't tell them because it never came up or something, but that wasn't a problem with the ones I've told it to... And now I don't because of the certain "Why didn't you say it before?" replies.

There have been more things that I've done similar things about in the past, this is just an example (and, I think, the only current one).
So I suppose I'm asking for any idea why I might be doing that, and for any ways of telling the rest without it sounding like I didn't trust them or something...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Arrrgghghg I do this as well.

Like when I quit a job once I didn't actually tell my parents and then they only found out becuase my sister told them - i'd mentioned it of hand in a group email to loads of people of which she is one.

Or recently when I didn't tell my parents that my best friend was pregnant - but thats really their fautl - because they asked me every week for months and months when I knew she was but had been asked to keep it a secret and then they didn't ask once when it was OK for me to tell and it dragged on for ages as I then wasn't sure at which point in the conversation to drop it in!

Also there are occasions where I think i've told people something because i've thought it in my head but acutally i havent' i've just imagined telling them.

I think that its not that your purposefully not saying stuff - I think your like me that once you realise you've not said it you start over analysing why not and then worry about how to go about saying it now its just so long after the event.......
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Also there are occasions where I think i've told people something because i've thought it in my head but acutally i havent' i've just imagined telling them.
    Oh yeah, I do that too sometimes...
  • Options
    I've done this as well. However, alot of it is due to being scared about what people will do and whether they'll treat me differently.
  • Options
    Apparently I've done this today... talking to a life long friend on MSN and I asked what time our local pharmacy shut (she lives like a 30 second walk away when she's not at Uni)

When she asked why, I said I needed to pick up my Dad's presciriptions...she said "Oh I didn't know your Dad was on medication..." and I replied "Well obviously, for his heart."

The "What the fuck" rather confused me. Turns out the fact that my Dad spent most of last summer in hospital had been neglected from our weekly phone conversations for the past year..... No idea why I didn't tell her like.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Apparently I've done this today... talking to a life long friend on MSN and I asked what time our local pharmacy shut (she lives like a 30 second walk away when she's not at Uni)

When she asked why, I said I needed to pick up my Dad's presciriptions...she said "Oh I didn't know your Dad was on medication..." and I replied "Well obviously, for his heart."

The "What the fuck" rather confused me. Turns out the fact that my Dad spent most of last summer in hospital had been neglected from our weekly phone conversations for the past year..... No idea why I didn't tell her like.

Surely there are some things about your family you wouldn't tell your friends?

Like, only a few people know what's wrong with my dad and they only know because we were on MSN talking and I managed to blurt it out.
  • Options
    also happens to me. it's wierd, especially when you don't realise and your like..um .. ok.. O_o
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Surely there are some things about your family you wouldn't tell your friends?

My Dad's heart attacks were never really a secret - in fact most people knew because I was in and out of college, and constantly in touch with his work and the DVLA over it (you'd be amazed how much paperwork comes along when you have a heart attack...) And my mum was in no fit state to do it, so I took it all on. So I needed friends more than ever. I'm just amazed that I kept it from this particular friend because I've known her all my life, and I know I spoke to her last summer - I even remember her coming round to see me while I was caring for my Dad at home, and me her and my Dad were sat in the garden!
  • Options
    It happens. I do that too, sometimes.

Usually I spill around a lot of my personal stuff, but of course if the situation elaborates and it keeps going on, I just can't be bothered by starting the story from aaaaaaaaaall the beginning to people unbeknownst to my situation, and there I have a few know about it and a few not, even tho it might be all the other way around next time.

It just happens.
  • Options
    I do the same thing.. i have 3 half siblings, the oldest is now about 9, but because i dont really know them or see them often i dont really tell people about them unless it comes up in conversation..
  • Options
    It happens quite a bit with who I consider to be my best friend.....we're such good friends that I kind of automatically assume she knows everything important about me, so if she doesn't know something significant about me, get really surprised!! :D:D

But I admit, that's a little different from actively, knowingly keeping something significant from a friend...
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not that I forget to tell them... I just don't. But I want to.
  • Options
    Me and my family did this once by mistake for years. It was only in a pssing conversation that my little sister realised that my mum and dad had actually finally divorced, oops.
  • Options
    So, any ideas? Still nobody replied to either of these:
    So I suppose I'm asking for any idea why I might be doing that, and for any ways of telling the rest without it sounding like I didn't trust them or something...
  • Options
    i didnt tell any of my friends i went to the pub with that my dad had died that month, i didnt fancy talking about it in social situations but i guess having half bros and sisters is just the norm so it just didnt crop up..i only recently found out my friend's dad is a muslim and her mum is hindu and i've known her parents all my life pretty much ..it just never came up in conversation
  • Options
    Dunno, just bring it up like- "it's weird I've never told you guys much about my little bros/sis, here's their picture."
  • Options
    Don't be worrying about "But why didn't you tell me this, that and the other before?" just tell them that it didn't crop up. 99% of the time they'll accept it.

It's not a major psychological worry I wouldn't have thought. Is there anything especially that you've maybe kept from people, maybe something big or that you're scared of what people might think?

If not, then it's nothing worth worrying about IMO.
  • Options
    Why Bri said. It's something I personally wouldn't worry about. I don't tell my friends everything and I don't expect them to do the same to me.
  • Options
    So you think they won't be offended or anything?

Once I had a group of "friends" about whose lives I knew a lot if not everything, and they about mine. That was back in my early teens. I suppose I've always been thinking that this is how friends are supposed to be, but now that I think about it I don't know that much about the lives of most of them either... Maybe it doesn't work this way when you're older.

Thanks, I guess I'll try to find an acceptable time to say it.
  • Options
    No one is a complete open book even if you think they are. It's what keeps people interesting :) Unless you are an axe murderer or anything. This isn't like you are keeping secrets from your friends anywho. It just hasnt come about in conversation yet.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    No one is a complete open book even if you think they are. It's what keeps people interesting :) Unless you are an axe murderer or anything. This isn't like you are keeping secrets from your friends anywho. It just hasnt come about in conversation yet.
    Yeah, but the ones I did tell I announced happily to... although not right away for all.
    And the other day it did almost come about in conversation, I just hid it without thinking. I was telling someone else about them in passing, and then one of the friend I've not told came by and said "What are you talking about?" (not having heard anything) and I just said the other part of what we were saying...