Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Helping legs go back to normal!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just had my legs waxed and they're bright red and polka dotty! They do not look good. How long do they take to go back to normal and is there anything I can do to speed up the process? My skin is very fair and marks easily and last time it took a few days for them to get back to normal and I want to get them out! Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    They say you should put tea tree oil lotion on after waxing because it soothes and prevents ingrown hairs.
  • Options
    Aloe vera gel (they should sell it in the place where you had your wax) is ideal for post-wax pain and redness. Otherwise places like Superdrug often sell afterwax products to soothe irritated skin. It's also very gentle and won't sting like tea tree products might (although I'm sure they'd work too)
  • Options
    I don't get waxing - what do u do whilst it's growing and long - how can u wear skirts etc?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I don't get waxing - what do u do whilst it's growing and long - how can u wear skirts etc?

i've always wondered that too..hmmm
  • Options

I had a brazillian once and the first 3 days I was all red and sore. By the end of the week some of the hair had grown back. Waste of money and not worth the pain!
  • Options
    Hot shower and a good bit of exfoliation does the trick on mine after epilating....
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I had a brazillian once and the first 3 days I was all red and sore. By the end of the week some of the hair had grown back. Waste of money and not worth the pain!

When I first started having brazillians, it was great - in, out (literally)... no redness/pain or hairs for a good few weeks...

The last few times have been awful... come up in a red rash after the wax which takes a few days to go down and then some hairs coming up quite soon after...

The thing is it isn't about the same hairs growing back, its about others in the same area that are following a slightly different time cycle. Thats one of the reasons I try and wait for it all to grow back (which I hate) before having it done again.

What annoys me is that they say if you are good and don't shave in between waxes (which has nearly kills me) then you will see a distinct reduction in hair etc... not happened yet :(

I'm booked in for Thursday - hoping for an improvement otherwise I am going to consider other options!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

That's exactly how i felt about it! Bloody pointless.

I'm terrible about getting my legs and or bikini line done, so mine ALWAYS grows out before i have it redone... and it still grows back at different times. With my bikini line i occasionally spend a happy half hour with my tweezers pulling out the stragglers - my boyfriend reckons it's really sexy when he catches me doing it :p

I find that the redness tends to go down after about 24 hours, but the best idea is not to exfoliate for about 24 hours afterwards and use a soothing gel or cream on them as soon as you get home. Unfortunately, some people just come up really badly after waxing (like me), and you just have to time it so that you don't need to show your legs (or bikini line) for a couple of days afterwards.
  • Options
    if your getting any growth within a few days then you havent had a proper wax.

my waxing lady usually puts some lavender oil on my legs (or jasmine i cant tell the difference)
  • Options
    She put some stuff on them, aloe vera I think. I haven't got anything at home - argh they look like plucked chickens! So red!
  • Options

Hair only has to be 2mm long for a wax - not exactly long, and if you're going to a decent waxer you shouldn't have any regrowth for at least a couple of weeks. It's a bit of a waste if you want to be totally smooth constantly, but for me the long-term benefits of waxing (thinner, softer regrowth) far outweigh dealing with a little bit of stubble every 3 or 4 weeks! Can't be arsed to shave all the time; it's too much work for me!
  • Options
    2mm, i thought it was 2cm. lol
  • Options
    lol no, although i could have sworn it was 3mm (or maybe thats just for bikinis)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    2mm, i thought it was 2cm. lol

:shocking: No way haha that would be awful
  • Options
    i am surely being a bit thick, leg haiers don't grow to 2cm long anyway, do they?
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    if your getting any growth within a few days then you havent had a proper wax.

Thats not true. As said earlier, hair has different time cycles.
  • Options
    Hair only has to be 2mm long for a wax - not exactly long, and if you're going to a decent waxer you shouldn't have any regrowth for at least a couple of weeks. It's a bit of a waste if you want to be totally smooth constantly, but for me the long-term benefits of waxing (thinner, softer regrowth) far outweigh dealing with a little bit of stubble every 3 or 4 weeks! Can't be arsed to shave all the time; it's too much work for me!

Ah that's not too long then.
    I'm really lucky, my hair is blonde and u can't see it if I can't be aresed to shave.