Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People who have recently had operations on the NHS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello I want to ask people who have recently had operations on the NHS how long they waited for them, was it less then three months for example?
The thing is I attended an apointment with my prospective surgeon one month ago and he said he would book me in for an operation, but I have not heard from him since then. Am I supposed to wait untill he can fit me into his schedule or have I not recieved a letter?

Thank you for youe timw.

Comments

• Options
    Did he give you any idea of a time scale?

If you've not heard in a couple more weeks give his secretary a call and find out when you should expect to hear from them.
  • Options
    I;m having sinus surgery on the nhs, I had my appointment where it was agreed i'd go through for surgery in january and i'm having it done on june 13th. it depends what surgery and the hospital tho.
  • Options
    Depends on the hospital, surgeon, waiting lists and how urgently the patient needs to be seen... etc etc

I had one op a few years ago where I waited 4 months for it, the second was only a month.
  • Options
    If you've not heard in a couple more weeks give his secretary a call and find out when you should expect to hear from them.

I have called his secretary twice but I don't get a proper response. The first time she said there was no one who could deal with me at that time and they would call me back but they never did. The second time I phoned they said a letter would be sent with the date for the op but two weeks later still nothing. I'm not sure if I'm being impatient but he had originaly said it would be as soon as possible. I don't know if as soon as possible means six months or six years:(
  • Options
    I think letters for most appointments can take up to 6 weeks or so. I'm still waiting for my letter from the eye infirmary to tell me that I have an appointment for June 20th and I phoned up around mid April for that. (it's just a confirmation letter thing)
  • Options
    I had an operation years ago and i'm glad i did. Hated the name Mandy :p
  • Options
    Katie91 wrote: »
    Hello I want to ask people who have recently had operations on the NHS how long they waited for them, was it less then three months for example?
    The thing is I attended an apointment with my prospective surgeon one month ago and he said he would book me in for an operation, but I have not heard from him since then. Am I supposed to wait untill he can fit me into his schedule or have I not recieved a letter?

Thank you for youe timw.

Maximum wait is six months from the date of the outpatient appointment. The average is much lower than that.

If I was you I would ask for the waiting list office and check to see if he has, indeed, added you to his list. Wouldn't be the first time that a consultant says one thing but does another :rolleyes: