Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

going on a 'soma' holiday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone here read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley?

if so what did you think? :chin:

i also read 1984 by George Orwell... interesting ideas...at least this story wasn't just like a long discription...

Comments

• Options
    If you liked those, read 'We' by Evgenii Zamyatin which was the inspiration for both Huxley (though he denied) and Orwell (who did admit reading Zamyatin).

I think the most interesting idea in BNW is Mustapha Mond's affirmation that given the choice, mankind would choose happiness over freedom. Good book but not as good as 1984 which in turn isn't as good as We.
  • Options
    thanks i will look into that.
    that is an interesting point to make about mustapha mond.
    soma sounds like an interesting drug, but i'm not sure it would do the world a whole lot of good if something like that were to come into effect!
  • Options
    Was the only reason you posted to talk about a mythical drug with no addictive qualities and no side-effects?

How about some Cake?
  • Options
    lol

nah, just wanted a general discussion.
  • Options
    Yeah, i've read BNW and 1984. I prefer BNW, 1984 sort of got under my skin a little.

However, of that genre, i have to say i prefer 'A Handmaid's Tale' or 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood. Both def. worth a read.
  • Options
    Read them both, but definitely preferred 1984. More interesting story, more applicable to present day. BNW was interesting in its own way, but I found it a bit convoluted. The main character was annoying, and definitely shouldn't've been a beta (?).
  • Options
    Read them both, but definitely preferred 1984. More interesting story, more applicable to present day. BNW was interesting in its own way, but I found it a bit convoluted. The main character was annoying, and definitely shouldn't've been a beta (?).

haha too true
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I liked Brave New World more. It was a far better commentary on current societ, which is why I liked it. 1984 was very much a commentary on the way the USSR was headed - and isn't anymore. BNW is the way our society is headed - you can see the start of it now.

I'll look into the other books mentioned here, ta.
  • Options
    I have read 'Brave New World' a long time ago, I really enjoyed it. I never got 1984 read but I might try over summer when I've got a bit more time on my hands...after I have read the next Harry Potter book of course. :blush:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I liked Brave New World more. It was a far better commentary on current societ, which is why I liked it. 1984 was very much a commentary on the way the USSR was headed - and isn't anymore. BNW is the way our society is headed - you can see the start of it now.

I'll look into the other books mentioned here, ta.
    You think? I'd be interested to see why you think that.

In my own opinion, I reckon BNW is way removed from what we experience today. It's more class-based commentary on life, which I don't think exists in exactly the same mould today. Also, the desire to return to the 'basic world' and the 'savage gentleman' doesn't really have any modern day parallels.

1984 is far more applicable to today (even though it was based on a Cold Wa/USSR fear). Survilance, mind-control, over-bearing government, lies and deceit from the government, pacification of the masses through common entertainment. I could go on.
  • Options
    BNW is similar to today through the genetic engineering, but 1984 is about that mind control stuff (adverts, etc), about watching us (cctv) and all that jazz... so I do think that 1984 is more realistically associated with the present day.
  • Options
    haha, i just realised that i basically copied what is written above.. just worded differently... but I do agree with that. the scary thing is..we can't stop it.
  • Options
    You think? I'd be interested to see why you think that.

In my own opinion, I reckon BNW is way removed from what we experience today. It's more class-based commentary on life, which I don't think exists in exactly the same mould today. Also, the desire to return to the 'basic world' and the 'savage gentleman' doesn't really have any modern day parallels.

1984 is far more applicable to today (even though it was based on a Cold Wa/USSR fear). Survilance, mind-control, over-bearing government, lies and deceit from the government, pacification of the masses through common entertainment. I could go on.

I think it more relevant today as, it present this issue of drugs (soma) used ot keep us happy nad docile - anti-depressants instead of resolving the REAL issue of why this is happening.

As for classed based - not relevant today? HA! Yeah, RIGHT. Tell that to the working class. There are loads of upper-class "elites" instead of the average joe. It's more prevelant than ever tbqh. The rich, the middle class, the poor. They are apparent divides - can't you see them? I see them everywhere. As for those folk that don't work and don't try to get a job - well, I'd burn them but lets not go there.

Also - as for the genetic engeniering - designer babies are being touted as an option now. The ability to "choose" your baby is not far off - if it gets allowed (I hope not, personally, apart from preventing mental problems and mutations and abnormalities) - and this will lead to even more division - those than can afford the "perfect child" and those that can't.

We shouldn't do these sort of things - anti depressants shouldn't be necessary - the real issues causing this should be addressed - and as for choosing your childs attributes - no. Not at all. I think this is elitist and wrong - the child should only have intervention to prevent mental illnesses nad other such things.

Really, BNW is the commentary on capitalist society and 1984 on communism. And we all know how bad Facism is.

Anyway. I'll present a better argument when not drunk , I dareasy.
  • Options

:thumb:

Orwell was a visionary...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I think it more relevant today as, it present this issue of drugs (soma) used ot keep us happy nad docile - anti-depressants instead of resolving the REAL issue of why this is happening.
    But 1984 already has this, in the form of victory gin and cigarettes. Far more freely available and widely used than 'soma' is today.
    As for classed based - not relevant today? HA! Yeah, RIGHT. Tell that to the working class. There are loads of upper-class "elites" instead of the average joe. It's more prevelant than ever tbqh. The rich, the middle class, the poor. They are apparent divides - can't you see them? I see them everywhere. As for those folk that don't work and don't try to get a job - well, I'd burn them but lets not go there.
    I know they exist, but that's not the same way in which they exist in BNW. It's all genetically engineering, social controlled, and deliberately manufactured. The class divides in 1984 are far more realistic, with the elite and the proleteriat.
    Also - as for the genetic engeniering - designer babies are being touted as an option now. The ability to "choose" your baby is not far off - if it gets allowed (I hope not, personally, apart from preventing mental problems and mutations and abnormalities) - and this will lead to even more division - those than can afford the "perfect child" and those that can't.
    The 'designer baby' is miles away, really miles. I mean, we can't even get a sheep cloned properly before it pops its clogs years early.
    Really, BNW is the commentary on capitalist society and 1984 on communism. And we all know how bad Facism is.
    I didn't know this. I thought it was all about society in general.
    Anyway. I'll present a better argument when not drunk , I dareasy.
    Decent arguments so far. I've never really had a chance to discuss BNW or 1984 critically as I read them after I finished my English Literature level 1 at uni.

And yup Mok, Orwell was a visionary. It was pretty scary watching V for Vendetta and seeing a bunch of the things he describes being played out in 'real life'.
  • Options
    :thumb:

Orwell was a visionary...

Hmm, not really.

As I said in my original post, 1984 is essentially a rip off of 'We' by Evgenii Zamyatin (who in turn was influenced by HG Wells) which had written 20 years before. Don't get me wrong, 1984 is a good book but as far as originality goes, it's not that original. 'We' is the original (and best in my opinion) dystopian novel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Penguin-Twentieth-Century-Classics/dp/0140185852/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-0772640-8154046?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179562766&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Yea,have read both these books,very good.
  • Options
    ''The 'designer baby' is miles away, really miles. I mean, we can't even get a sheep cloned properly before it pops its clogs years early.''

we're still moving in that direction though, aren't we?
  • Options
    I also think that the film 'Equilibrium' is not far off both of these books.

they have to inject themselves with something so they feel nothing, they are watched, monitored, almost in a gestapo type way but futuristic... etc
  • Options
    But 1984 already has this, in the form of victory gin and cigarettes. Far more freely available and widely used than 'soma' is today.

But I would hope you can see the difference between how they are used now and in the book - asnd how they were used indeed, in the USSR? Cigs and Vodka was often used as an incentive to do things in the USSR - whilst the warned you of the bad side affects of using those very substances!
    I know they exist, but that's not the same way in which they exist in BNW. It's all genetically engineering, social controlled, and deliberately manufactured. The class divides in 1984 are far more realistic, with the elite and the proleteriat.

I disagree - in 1984 it was far more like the USSR - one at top, one at bottom. And they don't mix. Those with power, those without. We are in, very much, a tired system at the minute - and only a few of the millions that try ever make it up a tier, to say, Middle Class or Upper Class. It's diffiucult. Often people just end up in debt instead.
    The 'designer baby' is miles away, really miles. I mean, we can't even get a sheep cloned properly before it pops its clogs years early.

Cloning is far, far, different that designer babies, and an easier thing too. I expect it to be a reality in my lifetime. Sooner than say, when I am 70. Cloning, I never expect to see succusfully. Adjusting/replacing/removing genes instead of replicating them is a simpler matter from what I have researched. To clone, one has to undo years of decay from the living subject to be cloned. One is working on fresh DNA with little decay on a feotus.
    I didn't know this. I thought it was all about society in general.

No - the tiered system is the staple of a right wing capitalist conservative society. The tiers are a feature of society, some people are just born to be lower in this than others. That is conservative belief - you are born to be somewhere in these levels. BNW takes it to one extreme where it could end up.
    Decent arguments so far. I've never really had a chance to discuss BNW or 1984 critically as I read them after I finished my English Literature level 1 at uni.

I read them purley out of interesting whilst doing my politics course, so often chatted about them. I enjoyed them both. Good commentaries.
    And yup Mok, Orwell was a visionary. It was pretty scary watching V for Vendetta and seeing a bunch of the things he describes being played out in 'real life'.

As Thunderstruck said, it was an old idea, but a good one. Dystopias have, it seems, always held interest for humans. I want to live in the one from Fifth Element though tbh. I'd love one of them flying taxi cars!

Also, I have little doubt in my mind unless we do something sharpish, we are doomed to live in one in the future. Not mine, or my childrens, but some time after. We need to change society, or it'll be too late.