Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have you tried an alternative therapy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys
Can you help... I'm in the process of writing a load of new articles about alternative health for TheSite. I'm covering the following areas:

Accupuncture
Aromatherapy
Chinese medicine
Chiropractic
Homeopathy
Hydrotherapy
Hypnotherapy
Naturopathy
Physiotherapy
Reflexology
Reiki

I just wondered if anyone has used any of these therapies and how they found them? I'd like to put some quotes in the articles, so any experiences you have would be great to hear about.

Comments

• Options
    I use apis mel which is a homeopathic thing in conjection with conventional medicine to help with Hayfever and insect bite allergies. Works a treat and a lot of people don't realise that there's usually no reason not to use alternative therapies in conjunction with conventional medicine.

Had physio when I wrecked my ankle, and biomechanics. Probably the only reason my ankle and foot work properly now although I don't really count those as alternative therapies.
  • Options
    Works a treat and a lot of people don't realise that there's usually no reason not to use alternative therapies in conjunction with conventional medicine.

:yes: Once I get into OB/GYN I want to learn how to accupuncture and hypnotherapy

I've used homeopathy in the past, but I think it was more the placebo effect working for me than anything else. That's just my experience though ;)
  • Options
    I have had the following: Chiropractice, Aromatherapy (want to become trained but it's very expensive), Naturopathy, Reflexology, Reki (my mother is a reki master and i'm hoping to do my level 2 at some point), plus kinesology, homopathy, flower essences, and craniosacral work which really helps me! my mum actually makes her own range of flower essence and is a trained kinesologist as well as many other things...

as you can see, i've had alternative/complementary therapies all my life, and i think that they are very important, especially for treating stress related illnesses, which i'm prone to...
  • Options
    I've done Aromatherapy massage as part of my college course and I really love it. It's amazing how a certain smell can affect you so much, and since doing it and learning about all the oils I've used oil burners and incense myself.

A lot of clients find aromatherapy really helpful, and we're always full of people booking in for them - we had 5 today in a 2.5 hour period. When you're really stressed and can't sleep it's lovely to have something like that to help you along - but the same also goes for the awakening and uplifting ones, which get me to college in a morning :D
  • Options
    I had acupuncture when receiving treatment for drug addiction. I had two different people perform it on me and whilst one helped a lot, the other person was useless. I don't know if they were missing the 'points' or what, but it had the opposite effect of what it was supposed to.

I've also had reiki which the woman said wouldn't work on me because i was unable to relax (she was right, i laid there feeling very uncomfortable) and it was interesting that she told me i had issues involving my stomach (i had an eating disorder at the time) though i just assumed she'd read my notes. One of my friends swears by reiki, she absolutely loves it, i can ask her about it if you like?

I've also has reflexology which i didn't expect to like because i absolutely loathe anything to do with feet, but i was actually impressed! I felt very relaxed afterwards.
  • Options
    does physiotherapy count as "alternative" ? I thought it was widely accepted & used in the medical field. (as opposed to Homeopathy & aromatherapy for example)
  • Options
    I've tried accupuncture... I hated it... I only went once (you're suposed to go more times to let it have an affect). I did sort of feel relaxed afterwards... but that could have been relief that they'd taken all the pins out... I didn't like the way they put them in... I may have had a crap practitioner (if that's the right word) though, because I've heard it's not suposed to hurt, and it did.
    It included a nice massage afterwards though... Shame it didn't last very long. It involved that thing where they make a vaccum in little glass jar type things by briefly putting a flame in them, and then putting them on your skin... I liked that bit. :yes:

I also was given a load of chinese herbs to take... But I gave up because a) they tasted absolutely disgusting and b) you have to take them a rediculous amount per day... you end up just taking them all the time (it feels like)... It's very faffy.

I have experienced Reflexology as well, because I trained as a Refelxologist last year, and we all had to practise on eachother for weeks... It is utterly relaxing, I'm convinced it works... I don't think it works miricals on everyone and I think people are more suseptable to different therapies working for them better.... The thing with reflexology is that at the very least it is relaxing, and I think that can certainly do some good in people. 70% of disease is caused by stress afterall, and the rest probably aren't helped by it.
    Got quite a lot of info on Reflexology lurking about somewhere... :chin:
  • Options
    Abbie has seen a Chiropractor since she was 6 weeks old.

When she was born her foot was slightly turned in due to the way she was lying in the womb (and being 2 weeks late!) and the hospitals one and only suggestion was to break her foot and reset it. No thanks. So I sought out alternatives and we started visiting a Chiropractor every 2 weeks. By the time her referral to see an Orthopeadic Surgeon came through her foot was perfect and the surgeon couldnt understand why we'd been referred in the first place (I didnt mention seeing a Chiro as I'd encountered a lot of negative attitudes from the health "professionals" I had told)
  • Options
    I use apis mel which is a homeopathic thing in conjection with conventional medicine to help with Hayfever and insect bite allergies. Works a treat and a lot of people don't realise that there's usually no reason not to use alternative therapies in conjunction with conventional medicine.

I had a huge allergic reaction (to mango) on my face once where it all swelled up and went crusty and inflamed :shocking: It was horrible and all the stuff that the doctors prescribed, steroid cream, anti histamines etc had barely any effect. I went to a homeopath who prescribed this (apis mel) and within hours it started to feel a bit better, and cleared up within a few days.
  • Options
    For the last year my dad had been going to massage therapy and accupunture for his neck. He said it was one of the few things that gave him relief. Well, not so much relief, but it kept things from getting worse. When they went on a vacation not too long ago and he went that long without it he said he was in extremem pain by the end.

My mom, I think, has gone to a chiropractic for stress and she does that natural light box thing, and I'm quite sure shes addicted to aeromotherapy and homeopathic stuff. She's become quite a hippy in recent years :p
  • Options
    I had hypnotherapy for social anxiety. At the time, I thought it was a pile of pants, but looking back I can honestly say it'd done me wonders. I'm nothing like the person I was when I needed hypno....
  • Options
    I had reiki for my M.E when i was younger, and it was absolutely amazing. Because there's no 'cure' for M.E, and the medical profession's attitude tended to be 'well... you might get better and you might not. It'll take time'' when i was that age, we decided to explore alternative therapies. It worked wonders, i had two sessions of it and i was so much better afterwards.

My mum was recommended by her GP to have accupuncture when she had a muscular problem with her neck (caused by drunken gymnastics :rolleyes: ) and it was really long term - they couldn't seem to do anything to fix it. Our local surgery had an accupuncture clinic attached to it but there was always a 6 month waiting list, so mum went independently, had two or three sessions of accupuncture and her neck was actually cured. That was pretty amazing too.

I'm quite open minded about it - alternative therapies aren't the first place i'd turn, but i'd definitely give them a shot when conventional medicine fails me.
  • Options
    I had hypnotherapy for social anxiety. At the time, I thought it was a pile of pants, but looking back I can honestly say it'd done me wonders. I'm nothing like the person I was when I needed hypno....

How did you find a hypnotherapist? Im considering ways to help with my low self esteem and interested in hynotherapy - derren brown has a lot to answer for!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Wrong thread. Sorry.
  • Options
    I've had two courses of acupuncture, both for my tendonitis in my wrists. The first worked reasonably well, he used opposing points halfway down my forearms. The second course worked incredibly well, she used four points along the top of my arms and i responded incredibly well. At the end of that course, another physio did the final one and he put an extra one in inbetween my thumb and forefinger, and whilst that caned incredibly i think it did some good- i definitely reacted very quickly with tingling and sweaty palms!

Whilst i was in China, i used to go for a massage every couple of weeks and i think that was as good as the acupuncture as they use acupressure there. My dad also goes for an aromatherapy massage every week or every two weeks, he's had DVT and other problems and finds that it keeps him walking.
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    How did you find a hypnotherapist? Im considering ways to help with my low self esteem and interested in hynotherapy - derren brown has a lot to answer for!
    I honestly can't remember! Sorry I couldn't be more help. You could try looking for the website that lists all registered/qualified hypnotherapists - I think there's a union or something that monitors all working hypnotherapists....
  • Options
    I honestly can't remember! Sorry I couldn't be more help. You could try looking for the website that lists all registered/qualified hypnotherapists - I think there's a union or something that monitors all working hypnotherapists....

Have a look through the association websites, for example;

http://www.thehypnotherapyassociation.co.uk/index.htm

If you have any questions about hypnosis just let me know...
  • Options
    Is it expensive?

Is there a way you can tell if its going to work? I get the impression that some people may not be 'open' to it (suggestion?)
  • Options
    Is it expensive?

Is there a way you can tell if its going to work? I get the impression that some people may not be 'open' to it (suggestion?)
    Yes, it's expensive. My parents paid £80 a session.

You do have to be open minded. If you go there with the view that it may not work, then it won't. CBT is the same - you have to believe it, in order to change the way your brain perceives things.
  • Options
    woah! :eek: a local hyponotherapists website stated that you may need a 12 week course, id be bankrupt!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, for all your replies - I wasn't expecting so many people to have tried these things. I'll probably get in touch with some of you directly to ask a bit more if that's ok... probably later in the week.

You've given me some stuff to think about too, which is good. Replicant - I'm not sure about including physiotherapy either but some other sites/organisations do. Maybe I'll look at where else on TheSite that info could fit.

Thanks again :thumb:
  • Options
    woah! :eek: a local hyponotherapists website stated that you may need a 12 week course, id be bankrupt!

Well I definately wouldn't go and see them!

I charge £65 for a session and intend to make a big different in the 90 minutes - if myself and my client decide they should have follow up sessions then that is decided there and then... I would never state how many sessions someone would need, especially without evaluating their needs first!

The thing is every therapist works differently... you need to find someone that works well for you!
  • Options
    just to let londoners know:

UEL is now holding herbalist sessions at £12 for the first and £7 there after with nearly fully trained students and a fully qualified herbalist is alway there supervising...the herbs are only around £5 per week as well! it's based in stratford, and it seems really good...I'm gonna start going and see if they can do better than coventional medicine has for my exzema
  • Options
    Our vet is trained in alternative therapies and we tried herbal treatments, acupuncture, magnotherapy and hydrotherapy for Sam's arthiritis. I have a lot of faith in it, it really seemed to help.
  • Options
    I use aromotherapy to reduce my stress levels, which is really useful at the moment becuase of my exams. I also use this Remedy Rescue which is all natural, which I find also helps me a lot.
  • Options
    my mum is a trained homeopathy person, she tries to give me things all the time, they sometimes work, but you have to believe in it, i find it weird, but sometimes itsbetter than proper medication!
  • Options
    One of my friends is a hypnotherapist (gets the funniest reactions when people find out) and was telling me that he once saw a woman effectively healed of motor neuron disease through it!
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    One of my friends is a hypnotherapist (gets the funniest reactions when people find out) and was telling me that he once saw a woman effectively healed of motor neuron disease through it!

There are so many wonderful things that can be done through hypnosis, results really can be quite extraordinary!

If I had £1 for every time I get asked;

'wow, your a hypnotherapist? does that mean you can make me cluck like a chicken?!'

or thanks to Little Britain...

'Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around my eyes but into my eyes... now sleep...'

:rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Is it too late to reply to this thread?

I've had reflexology and Shiatsu (which wasn't on your list but is the most amazing therapy I've had).
  • Options
    Look into my eyes, not around my eyes...